Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

My son and wife took classes at the local Community College in pasadena where they did learn how to take, develop and print film. To be good at digital stuff, you need to understand the other too. Many artists in the film industry still rely upon such skills. It's not the average person who does this stuff, but it's still out there. And the kids my son (23) runs with are all more creative types who love vinyl records, film, and other "throwback" things which makes me happy to see. It's not to be "cool", but rather an appreciation for a simpler time and a more hands-on way. Or, I just raised this one right ;)

JimWagner

Practically Family
Knowing how to type on a keyboard or phone is NOT tech saavy. Knowing how to design, build and program a phone or computer is. The younger generations are not more tech saavy. They just know how to play on the tech gadgets the actual tech saavy sell them. And they do so all the time - in line at the store, driving, walking through traffic and off cliffs.

Knowing how to type on a keyboard or phone is NOT tech saavy. Knowing how to design, build and program a phone or computer is. The younger generations are not more tech saavy. They just know how to play on the tech gadgets the actual tech saavy sell them. And they do so all the time - in line at the store, driving, walking through traffic and off cliffs.
While you're right in that respect, way more "kids" now know how to code than when I was getting wet in my 20's with computers. Whether it's on the creative side or technical side, I indeed see much more of this. And it's good too - because the jobs that "we" aspired to are very much going or gone.

philosophygirl78

A-List Customer
While you're right in that respect, way more "kids" now know how to code than when I was getting wet in my 20's with computers. Whether it's on the creative side or technical side, I indeed see much more of this. And it's good too - because the jobs that "we" aspired to are very much going or gone.

Video game programmers make double and triple what school teachers make.... That is scary.

When my 7 year old tells me he wants to invent video games, I encourage him (albeit towards educational genres). An action that just 20-30 years ago would seem ludicrous....

Our options (acceptable but parents) were so limited compared to today. One thing I swore I'd never do and never did was tell my kids what to do/be. I'm really glad I didn't. My daughter graduated from USC med school last year and my son is a musician (and model/actor to pay bills). Both are happy and that makes me happy. Two of his friends are developers now for big gaming companies, and he's starting a graphics business on the side to have other options. It's a pretty neat world if you're young - so many more things one can do today that don't require being a stooge for a Fortune 500 company.

It's a pretty neat world if you're young - so many more things one can do today that don't require being a stooge for a Fortune 500 company.

Of course, there are also many good people who work hard, enjoy their work, and are grateful to be able to provide for their family being a "stooge". Someone has to mine the dilithium crystals.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Knowing how to type on a keyboard or phone is NOT tech saavy. Knowing how to design, build and program a phone or computer is. The younger generations are not more tech saavy. They just know how to play on the tech gadgets the actual tech saavy sell them.

Which is pretty much the way it is with any technology. Millions of people owned radios in the Era, but comparatively few of them, after about 1925 anyway, could explain or even comprehend the working of a superheterodyne circuit. All they knew was that you turned the dial to 760 for "Amos 'n' Andy."

JimWagner

Practically Family
Which is pretty much the way it is with any technology. Millions of people owned radios in the Era, but comparatively few of them, after about 1925 anyway, could explain or even comprehend the working of a superheterodyne circuit. All they knew was that you turned the dial to 760 for "Amos 'n' Andy."

Exactly.

Just to clarify, I'm one of those stooges...

I am too. And I have a good job with a good company. I'm happy to have it. But this is an issue with many millennials...they all think they're going to be CEO and demand that it be in the next five years. Somehow they find being just a regular employee a character flaw. Ambition is one thing, lack of self awareness is another, and the latter is all too common.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
It's much the same with most things, you don't need to know the science of the internal combustion engine in order to drive a car.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Spray a squirt of Bradex easy start into the air intake. Better still, flush out all of the water in the radiator and cylinder block and replace it with Evans Waterless Engine Coolant. In centigrade it can go 40% below freezing & 80% above boiling.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Does anyone still have coin operated phone booths? I can't remember seeing one in London for years. The cell phone has all but killed off the need for public phones, but our phone companies are duty bound, in law, to still provide them, so they make them credit/debit card use only. That way they save on the cost of emptying the coin box and the risk of theft of said coin boxes.
Someone told me that more money is made from selling off our iconic red phone booths than is made from their proper use as a public telephone.

We went to a friend's party Saturday night. She lives in a fairy newly built development that is styled to look quaint.

In the entrance to the 'town square,' actually a parking lot, there is a vintage style British phone booth that looks pretty much like this:

british_phone_booth.jpg

There's nothing in it, though. It's just there for ambiance. But I do like looking at it, which I guess is the point.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Shame that there's no glass in the booth. The slats at the top, underneath the crown, had the word: 'TELEPHONE' imprinted on the glass, and were illuminated.
I, and many like me, have one gross memory of using those booths. Coming out of a late night venue, last buses long gone, taxi queue a mile long, you could
jump that queue by phoning for a cab. That's if you don't get knocked over by the stench of stagnant urine when you open the booth door.

Video game programmers make double and triple what school teachers make.... That is scary.
I work as a plumber to pay the bills. I easily make twice or three times what a teacher brings in. So do many of the electricians and carpenters I know. It isn't really so much scary, but at times I think it's a little sad, that it is such an undervalued job.

Probably a topic (maybe THE topic) better suited for your thread on declining standards in education, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe