Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

dnjan

One Too Many
I am especially fond of the K&E Cooke's Radio Slide Rule which goes with Mathematics for Electricians and Radiomen by Nelson M.Cooke (McGraw-Hill).

Ah, nostalgia - but still perfectly useful, no batteries required. :eusa_clap

Post Versalog II man myself, though I also have an original Versalog and was given a K&E slide rule (don't know the model).

I've considered trying to get on an airline flight with the leather Versalog II case properly attached to my belt - just enough resemblance to a hunting knife case to make things interesting ...

They may even be back without a sale -- the company and the union have been ordered into arbitration, and it's expected there'll be a settlement.

Meanwhile, I hope the yokels who paid hundreds and thousands of dollars for Twinkies on eBay enjoy their treats.

The talks with their second union failed. Hostess is going to the bankruptcy court if nothing changes soon.

I was thinking about how the street lighting has changed during my life.

It was first incandesents, then those blue-green mercury vapor lamps and now we have those orangey colored street lamps.
Next it will be solar powered LED's in a blue color I am sure.

It was first incandesents, then those blue-green mercury vapor lamps and now we have those orangey colored street lamps.

I think the old Pioneer Street Lamps gave better light than those. :p
3079.1L.jpg

3202664170_0caf41dda9.jpg

W4ASZ

Practically Family
Post Versalog II man myself, though I also have an original Versalog and was given a K&E slide rule (don't know the model).

I've considered trying to get on an airline flight with the leather Versalog II case properly attached to my belt - just enough resemblance to a hunting knife case to make things interesting ...

The TSA people won't know what you have there and will confiscate it.

Aerojoe

Practically Family
In my town there isn't any movie theater any more. It used to be at least 3 of them but they recycled them. Now are gyms and parking lots[huh] I only knew these theaters when child actually.

There isn't a single public phone on the streets either. You're lost without a cell phone.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Don't know if this has been mentioned, but I miss the Christmas presents and birthday presents that are wrapped, as opposed to the gift bags. I also miss the actual gift, now being replaced by the gift card.

Growing up, there were no gift cards and you received money as a gift only when the relative wasn't going to travel to be there for the birthday or for Christmas.

this one guy

Familiar Face

They're using LED's in traffic lights now. It's kind of amusing to notice random patterns of individual LED's that have gone out in the array.

They're using LED's in traffic lights now. It's kind of amusing to notice random patterns of individual LED's that have gone out in the array.

Not only that but in the winter the LED traffic lights often gets covered with snow causing a traffic hazard, whereas in the past it was not a problem as the old traffic lights generated enough heat to melt the accumulated snow.

this one guy

Familiar Face
The ones with the bluish tint don't allow me to focus my eyes as well. Same with LED flashlights. I don't care how bright they are, the color tone is un-natural

I have two cars that still have sealed beam lights. It's getting harder to get new ones when you need them, too.

Speaking of lighting, the sealed-beam headlight, which was The Last Word in Safety when it was introduced in 1939-40, is all but extinct nowadays, replaced by those laser-beam-in-your-eye-irritating halogen bulbs. Blech.

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
Police Officers walking the beat, hence the term Flat Foot.

My unit does Holiday Patrol in the shopping districts. We spend most of out time on foot and we find that there is a greater decrease in crime than having the officers drive along the same areas.

An added benefit to the community is the presence of a person who knows the area to whom they can feel comfortable asking questions.

If you ever need to know the best places to eat just ask a cop. It works for more than doughnuts.

fashion frank

One Too Many
How about the good old lightbulb?

I had my wife go out and buy a case of bulbs because they are phasing them out and G.E. shut down the bulb factory.
I can't stand those new bulds no real light ,the color of the light sucks and what do you do with them when there dead , they have radon in them.

All the Best , Fashion Frank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld