Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

I'll check the politics at the door and just say that the way this state treats business is extremely frustrating.
Campbells soup still has there headquarters in Camden,NJ however they closed down the production factory some 10-12 years ago.
The state was not willing to give them any tax breaks, and the truckers union and other unions were given them trouble.
I remember when a can of soup was .10 cents. and .15 to go see a picture show. Dad was only making $80.00 per week.
Best regards
CCJ

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Campbell's Soup. They are closing their factory in Sacramento that was opened in 1947. This will SERIOUSLY affect the farms, trucking companys and obviously the 700 employees that are now out of a job. What a shame.

http://www.mercurynews.com/business...oup-closing-sacramento-plant-cutting-700-jobs

Campbell's Soup is also closing a spice plant in New Jersey. The New Jersey plant has higher costs than their Wisconsin facility, due to the added cost of transporting spices, which are now invariably landed at West Coast ports to the East Coast and then trans-shipping the product back to the center of the country.

As for the Califorina plant, it is closing because its costs for produce are considerably higher than those in Napoleon OH. With the past dry decade California farmers are finding it more profitable to sell their water rights to burgeoning urban development than to farm truck. IN addition, the firm' new lines of product which are packed in plastic pouches rather than traditional cans cannot be produced in the old Sacremento plant without a great investment in equipment, an investment that the firm is loath to make anywhere. The new pouch products are being produced under contract for Campbell's by an outside supplier. A bit more investigation reveals a rumor that this outside supplier is off-shore.

In their own press release the Campbell company mentions that these changes will shorten their supply lines, and better situate them for future climate change, for their surviving plants are in truck farming areas which are not apt to be gravely affected by any possible alteration in rainfall patterns.

Interesting...

Last edited:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Air Wick! I just noticed an aerosol can of room deodorizer with the brand name Air Wick, and realized that most people have no idea that the original Air Wick was a glass jar that had green liquid in it, and a cotton wick attached to the cap, that had a wire that held it in place when you opened the bottle. The green liquid wicked up through the cotton and unstank the place where it was set. It was an air wick. Long gone.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Kills Odors, Kills Odors!
Air Wick!
Air Wick!
The Great New Discovery!
Air Wick!
Air Wick!
Kills Kitchen Odors Quick!
Kills Fish, Cabbage, Onion Odors!
Even Stale Tobacco Odors!
Every Kind of Household Odor!
Has To Vanish Quick!
'Cause Airwick Kills Odors, Kills Odors, Airwick Kills Odors, Kills Odors..
(ad infinitum)

Fred Allen claimed that Jack Benny once worked in vaudeville with an Air Wick as his straight man.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
all night diner with the minature jukebox at your table.
CCJ
Jukeboxes in general.
I remember as an early teen, going to a local pizza parlor, and seeing a jukebox.
That was 1980-81.
Of course my friends and I would play all the AC/DC and Who on it, despite what the other customers wanted to hear. ;)

W4ASZ

Practically Family
Two weeks ago the municipal utility's guy came and collected my mechanical watt-hour meter, replacing it with some soul-less digital device that is far less than a source of wonder.

When I was a small child I consulted the rotating dials to see what was up. No more !

This is a small thing, but it further removes me from Elihu Thomson and the "real deal" engineers .

LizzieMaine

Bartender
They tried to do that here, and I sent them away. We have an "opt out" provision, arrived at after a long and loud court battle with the state P-U-C, and if you don't want one of those things you don't have to get one. But you have to be home to catch the technician when they sneak thru your neighborhood to install it -- fortunately I was. Those things put out a barrage of AM radio interference, and have been implicated in several house fires around the state, so I told them to just get right in their truck and keep on going. My old Westinghouse meter remains intact.

I loved the old meters. They took them from all our places. My favorite was the one on our cabin. It had been there since my grandpa built the place in '58. It was fun to watch all the dials parts spin.

Plus, it's really taken all the meaning out of when dad says "Turn off these lights, you're spinnin' that damn meter!"

They tried to do that here, and I sent them away. We have an "opt out" provision, arrived at after a long and loud court battle with the state P-U-C, and if you don't want one of those things you don't have to get one. But you have to be home to catch the technician when they sneak thru your neighborhood to install it -- fortunately I was. Those things put out a barrage of AM radio interference, and have been implicated in several house fires around the state, so I told them to just get right in their truck and keep on going. My old Westinghouse meter remains intact.

It does indeed. I had to have the one they replaced, replaced. The dang thing was setting off my alarm system!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
US tracks have used parimutual betting since the beginning of the last century. The betting that they still have in Britain has been illegal here for a long time. Pretty cool and picturesque, tho.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld