Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage sweater catalog pics.

Feraud

Bartender
With winter upon us I thought this posting of sweaters would be appropriate.
Here is a selection of young men's and adult sweaters from '48/49.
DSC06689.jpg

DSC06690.jpg

DSC06691.jpg

DSC06692.jpg

DSC06693.jpg

DSC06694.jpg

DSC06695.jpg

DSC06696.jpg

DSC06698.jpg

DSC06699.jpg

More to come..

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
Perfect timing! I am looking at adding a new line of made-to-measure knitwear to my clothiers site. I'm estimating these hand-made custom sweaters to sell for around $150 (shipping included).

If any one is interested, please drop me a line as it'd be good to get a bunch of different styles done to fill out this new section.

Kind regards,
Magnoli

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Indy Magnoli said:
Perfect timing! I am looking at adding a new line of made-to-measure knitwear to my clothiers site. I'm estimating these hand-made custom sweaters to sell for around $150 (shipping included).

If any one is interested, please drop me a line as it'd be good to get a bunch of different styles done to fill out this new section.

Kind regards,
Magnoli
Oh man Indy, I bet there will be plenty of interest! Count me in!

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I dig the one with the crests on it. In all the ones with them being worn is the waistband flipped up?

kools

Practically Family
Great idea, Indy. Sweaters are great around here this time of year, but good ones are hard to find.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Feraud said:
With the exception of the wide knits you can find similar styles produced today.
Of course the wide waistband is the coolest feature!
This winter (and last winter too) there have been several cool two tone cardigans out there. Perry Ellis had a few, and Lord & Taylor's private label had a great black and check zip one, similar to the brown one in the last set above.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Great Thread!

I've been looking for a sweater like this one for years.
DSC06717.jpg

This looks a lot like the navy blue varsity sweater my dad had when he was in High School in the 30's. The neckline may have been somewhat wider (almost boatneck) but the wide ribbed waistband and cuffs are spot on.
The sweater was probably donated to the Salvation Army in the late 60's.

celtic

A-List Customer
Dinerman said:
I dig the one with the crests on it. In all the ones with them being worn is the waistband flipped up?

it looks like a few have the waistband flipped..

or it could just be the picture.

anybody know if people used to flip the long waistband?

Feraud

Bartender
I may be wrong but it seems that torso and sweater length play a factor in having to flip up the waistband? Fashion trends aside,
A sweater that sits on waist and not on your hips should not need to be flipped?
Just thinking aloud...

carter

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
I may be wrong but it seems that torso and sweater length play a factor in having to flip up the waistband? Fashion trends aside,
A sweater that sits on waist and not on your hips should not need to be flipped?
Just thinking aloud...
Good point. For those men with a long torso the length would be fine. Perhaps those with a shorter torso would flip the waistband. This may have been done when wearing the sweater beneath a short jacket as well.

Here is a picture of the type sweater my dad wore. Note the elongated neckline. This looks more like a boatneck than a crewneck.

3177732957_f38d6621e5.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld