Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Sunglasses

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Are these The Jaguar shades?
31kLLBGGSL_SS500_-1.jpg

They look modern in just about every way.

eBay is a great source of original '20s and '30s sunglasses. Look for either wire or celluloid frames. Green or brown lenses. They're not uncommon and can be had relatively inexpensively.

habberdasher

A-List Customer
Yeah, those are the ones. They look modern? They seem like 1920s ones with a slightly stylized oval frame, very similar. Which would you recommend? The jags or real vintage?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Go vintage if you want something authentic.

There's nothing really vintage looking about those jaguar ones. The earpieces are the wrong shape, the lenses are the wrong shape and color, the frames are the wrong shape and material, nosepads are wrong.

Wire framed glasses were popular in the '20s and '30s.

polocoat

One of the Regulars
I don't believe they are made of tortoise shell. I've read that there is now a ban (internationally) on manufacturing items using tortoise shell. Of course, if an item was made of tortoise shell prior to the ban, it can be sold/traded. As far as non-precious metal frame sunglasses being worth $350.00, to me, the answer is no! . I guess, in the end, the marketplace will determine true "worth." What is known is that historically Ralph Lauren products have been discounted, in some cases, substantially (check Ebay). Unfortunately, for me, these sunglasses have not appeared on Ebay. So,....does anybody know of a seller willing to discount these sunglasses? Thanks to everyone who have responded to my post so far.:)

habberdasher

A-List Customer
Really? That's kind of unfortunate because people will think I'm some hippie and little do they know the wire-framed circular style was created and worn in the 20s. Maybe my clothes would make up for it, but Depp's style in Public Enemies may be the best. I do admire the wire frames higher than the tortoise shell, but for no confusion with close-minded every day people, I need tortoise shell or celluloid. Thanks for your help!

habberdasher

A-List Customer
Jerekson said:
Depends what you're looking for. If you need something cheap just type "round sunglasses" in eBay. If you want some vintage quality, type "antique sunglasses".

Do any of these strike your fancy?

Glasses_21.png
I'll offer you something for one of those!

habberdasher

A-List Customer
Plastic WAS used as a material from the 30s, like the ones you bought. Before they used celluloid which was like the first plastic; very flammable and easily degradable.

habberdasher

A-List Customer
Check out these: No live ebay auctions They're 20s with a modern flair with tortoise shell AND metal! The only dislike of mine is the bridge uptop and straight-maybe too modern...

_1248282311581.jpg

habberdasher

A-List Customer
Is that a joke? White frames?! I've seen the shape shown of the lens frames on designs from the twenties, and definitely those earpieces. Just because wire ones were popular doesn't mean they were the only design. Did you see the Depp shades? They had solid earpieces.

texasgirl

One Too Many
I just won these, hope they work out! Antique red panto CELLULOID sunglasses of the 20/30s

antiquere-1247667374-17692.jpg

Also, I've got a pair of these too, that I got from a fellow lounger and they were too big for my face. Celluloid Sunglasses , ca 1920. If any one is interested, PM me :)

5b_1.jpg
a6_1.jpg

Boodles

A-List Customer
Rayban Outdoorsman and Outdoorsman II

chanteuseCarey said:
you must mean these?? They do look sharp (for that price they better!), BUT...
pPOLO2-5999255_mailer_v330.jpg
On this model these look really large. There is the funky thing across the top too. This model's hair is GORGEOUS, but it doesn't look regulation... He'd probably look real nice with a pencil moustache ;)

Certainly one can find a real vintage pair for FAR less... I am looking for a vintage pair as a gift for my husband to wear with his authentic WWII Army Air Corp Captain's uniform. The pair I was sent a picture of from Allyn Scura are a gold metal frame with the wrap around your ears sides, and mother of pearl nose pieces. The RL don't even look close.

These appear to be knockoffs of the Rayban Outdoorsman. I've been wearing these since the Vietman war. However, the Rayban's come only in a metal frame, gold, chrome-like (Think "Dugout Doug" MacArthur), or black. I think the Outdoorsman has lens of about 58mm and the Outdoorsman II has lens of about 62mm. I think the Outdoorsman and the Shooters are the models with the brow bar. These are off the peg, current production, see Amazon for example. These are not cheap but are way less that the Lauren version but, of course, don't have the swell shell look-a-like frame. And, ladies, I don't think there is a lot about the model which would meet any regulations whether sunglasses, hair, or the Time Square looking raincoat, of which I'm aquainted with. But, coming from me that means nothing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe