Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage suit skinny lapels no lining thin iridescent fabric... what is it?

mt_spiffy

Vendor
This was my thrift store find today, along with a basic gray 52L for my best friend who is larger.

The only tag says Tropic Hall. Only the sleeves of the jacket and the sides around the sleeves are lined.

What is it? What would you call it? What might the fabric be? What would you wear it with? Is it cool?

I havent decided whether to keep it and get the pants altered, put it on eBay, sell it on here, etc. It was just too unusual to pass up!

Here are the pictures, I tried to capture the colors:

vintage1.jpg

vintage2.jpg

vintage3.jpg

vintage4.jpg

vintage5.jpg

vintage6.jpg

Jay

Practically Family
It looks like early 60s sharkskin to me. Definitely cool. It's called a skeleton lining, by the way. Best to wear it with skinny ties, or an open-necked sport shirt.

Senator Jack is the main man for dating these type suits, though.

mt_spiffy

Vendor
I was told the exact same thing on the other forum.

If I decide to flip it, is it worth anything?

I need to see if the pants fit, or can easily be altered to fit. They seem a little small.

David V

A-List Customer
Jay said:
It looks like early 60s sharkskin to me. Definitely cool. It's called a skeleton lining, by the way. Best to wear it with skinny ties, or an open-necked sport shirt.

Senator Jack is the main man for dating these type suits, though.

My guess was sharkskin on the skeleton lined coat.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
mt_spiffy said:
I was told the exact same thing on the other forum.

If I decide to flip it, is it worth anything?

I need to see if the pants fit, or can easily be altered to fit. They seem a little small.

Classic early sixties sharkskin. A very good example at t hat. In general, three buttons is most desirable. It seems to be a lightweight summer suit, but most are pretty light weight anyway.

On ebay, a lot depends on size. If it is in good condition, no holes etc, then expect it to bring from $50 smaller size and crappy economy, to maybe $200 if it is a huge size. Anything 42 should bring about $75-$100, although with the current economy that could be less. And anything 45 or bigger could bring up to maybe $200 unless it was a 48 or bigger, in which case you might get lucky and get even more. a lot depends on the economy and your luck that week. Do offer to sell overseas. Some of my best sales are to England.

mt_spiffy

Vendor
It's either a 42 or 44. Here are the measurements:

Vintage Tropic Hall
Back length: 32"
Shoulder to shoulder: 18.5"
Full sleeve: 33.5"
Sleeve: 26"
Back: 23"
Chest: 23"
Waist: 34"
Inseam: 30" with cuffs and material to let out

I usually do Buy It Now/Best Offer auctions.

Meaty date range: 1958 - 1963 +/- 1 year. I have a suit identical in color and style in my closet right now. Reet's right as to value. You may see them in a vintage store for about $150 to $180, but Ebay should be about $75. Most likely made of Rayon. If it feels stiff, it could be Mohair, but it's not looking like Mohair to me.

Regards,

Jack

Perhaps "Tropic Hall" was a line offered at the old Robert Hall men's wear stores? Just a stab, you know, but I do have a vague recollection of there being a Robert Hall store in your fair city back in the early 1960s. (I lived there then.) Seeing how that suit is a thrift shop find, I wonder if it never ventured far from where it was originally purchased. I'm still taken aback by the vintage items bearing labels of (mostly defunct) local clothing stores I find in the thrift shops out here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe