Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage styles for short hair

Naama

Practically Family
imoldfashioned said:
m197701891828.jpg

Loos2.jpg

This one is so cute! But I think I couldn't pull it off :( I'm always afraid that my face is too wide and my nose too big, somehow, I'm always afraid that my nose would look bigger if my hair gets shorter lol don't ask me why!

Naama

olive bleu

One Too Many
I love the pictures I have seen of Ava Gardner with her shorter hair.For those of us that have gone to the extreme this summer,with a few months growth, looks like these are attainable.

3-1060-78323-1025938801.jpg

3-1060-ag%20ten.JPG

So elegant!

{thanks for the link Leatte-great pictures}

~*Red*~

Practically Family
I watching "The Women" right now, (1939), and I love Norma Shearer's hair. Joan Crawford's is nice too, but a little frizzy for my taste.

When I go crazy on my hair and end up cutting it short, I just pin curl, wet and with an iron when I am short on time, and as it grows out, I usually do the pin curls with an iron and create what you see in my avatar. Still a smooth back with curls on the bottom.

And any girl knows a scarf/bandana is your best friend.. I had the Rosie look quite often, and curly-Q the bang.

Goldfish

A-List Customer
I really want to get into vintage hair and I´m thinking about cutting my hair off.
At the moment I am letting them growing but the more it grows the thinner it seems to get - and my hair´s structure is just like Cameron Diaz´s

ajw10309142342.widec.jpg

THIN!!! and nothing seems to hold plus I currently have side bangs

I just love it when you explain that you can sleep in rollers and then the other day BANG you have a nice style because that´s just what I want, so cutting my hair off would be a great idee, right?

Which style / cut could would be easy for beginners (ME!)? I would love something 40s / 50s and classic...

I hope you understand what I mean and you would make me so happy if you would share your knowledge with me!

leaette

A-List Customer
i have thin hair too and the longer it gets, the thinner it seems to get. it doesn't hold any curl when it's past my shoulders. and if I pull my sides up, the hair that hangs down, looks so thin and limp. and if i don't brush my hair every 30 minutes, it looks terrible. and who has time for that!?!?
i have blonde hair too. i think most natural blondes have thinner hair.
i think my hair is it's best when it's chin length. it holds curl best and doesn't look so thin.
i think the best vintage haircut for you would be what I call the "U" cut. if you look at your hair from behind, it looks like the letter "U". i think you need at least 4" on the sides to make victory rolls (if that's not correct, please correct me). so make sure your sides are 4" and then have the back of your hair slightly longer. again, you are going for that "U" look from behind.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
leaette said:
i watched "the women" yesterday too! i was sick in bed all day so i watched TCM all day!
i love that movie!

The Women is one of the best "I'm home sick in my pjs" movies (hope you're feeling better Leaette). I love Joan Crawford and Paulette Goddard in that, and so many quotable lines ("Pride is a luxury a woman in love cannot afford!").

:eek:fftopic: I really, really want the green suit in the fashion show sequence, wacky hat and all

greenfront.jpg

greenback.jpg

Goldfish

A-List Customer
thank you,leaette!

"and if i don't brush my hair every 30 minutes, it looks terrible. and who has time for that!?!?"

haha, I know what you mean!! is there anything that I can do against that?

My hair is naturally blond but now it´s dyed brown but i´m unhappy with that too, because it´s more like grey - brown than like a nice shiny chocolate -brown :rage:

And now I will go searching for pics of the "u"-cut !!!

edit:

I've found instrcutions for the "u" - cut

http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/1827.html#cutid1

I wonder if I should go to a salon or just ask a friend to help me ...

leaette

A-List Customer
blackcigarette: as for brushing your hair all day long, i have found that the shorter your hair, the less you have to brush it.
As for the U cut, I think your hairdresser will know what it is if you ask her.

Ihr Englisch ist fein.

leaette

A-List Customer
i just found a printout someone made for me that explains the U cut.
the last 2 measurements were cut off on the botton right. they should be 4 1/2" and 6".
this is from a modern book but i don't know which one. i just have a few printouts.
stuff003.jpg

Feathers

Familiar Face
Hiya Ladies! I recently cut quite a bit of my hair off (about 2 months ago now) and I love it! I got a lot of slack for it and I still do! But I said goodbye to 10 inches with a cheerful wave and then blew it a kiss at that...It's not the first time I've had my hair short (I went pixie about 4 years ago) but it's been growing long for the last 2 years. Plus, I donated it to someone who needs it. :D Here's a pic of before: *please pardon my strap!*

(you can see my silly grin in the mirror :p )
P1020685.jpg

and after:

P1030768.jpg

now if only I could get those pincurls and fingerwaves down!

Josephine

One Too Many
imoldfashioned said:
The Women is one of the best "I'm home sick in my pjs" movies (hope you're feeling better Leaette).

I'm home sick but I have to clean for my DD's birthday party. I'd so rather be watching The Women. :(

I had waist length hair, then I cut it to bra strap length, and I've been toying with cutting it shorter so I can do some vintage styles and then just let it grow again. I've spent a while growing it though, with comments from my mom and SIL on how long hair makes "you" look old that I feel like I'd be giving into them if I do cut it, and they would in effect say I told you so without actually saying that.

Though I might get some of my curls back if I did cut it... :eusa_clap

Ada Veen

Practically Family
oh, I love The Women when I am poorly! It's the best

I too think Joan Crawford's hair is too frizzy.

My big issue is that my hair is POKER straight. I'm going to try and go for a lauren bacall kind of look I think rather than full on curls.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
blackcigarette said:
I've found instrcutions for the "u" - cut

http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/1827.html#cutid1

I wonder if I should go to a salon or just ask a friend to help me ...

This is exactly how I cut my own hair when I do it myself.

Just keep in mind that the U cut shown in that live journal is for hair at least shoulder length long and is better without layers, or at least having layers only at the last few inches.

The middy cut is very layered, which also makes the U at the bottom somewhat more pronounced since your hair will be angled around the face.
Nikki

PolkaDotMeggie

A-List Customer
It was originally the "Amelie" hair cut, aka a graduated bob (very short in the back, longer in the front), but then I started trying to do it more vintage and started flipping it out more 60's-ish.

I think that is perfectly adorable. My problem is that I don't know what shape or style looks right. I am afraid to get bangs again because I think it makes me look too young. How do you reaaally know what looks good?

Feathers

Familiar Face
Josephine said:
How sleek! I'd look like a puff ball. ;) Have fun practicing; remember, practice makes progress. :D

Thanks! And oh my gosh, don't I know it! Practice, practice, practice...I just got even more chopped off last week. Now the angle is pretty 'fierce' (quoting one of my regulars at work) and more of a shingle cut. I'm very excited about pin curling it now. It won't be as difficult as I only really have to focus on the front and sides! Plus my stylist showed me how to do pincurls really fast. I had no clue they were so simple! If anyone doesn't know how to work them, seriously try to find someone to show you in person. It clears up a looooot of questions! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld