Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage styles for short hair

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
ohairas said:
Ooo Pink, I liked your hair dark! (I like it now too!) I would've just suggested, (as a stylist) to darken your brows a smidge to go with it!

Trying to decide if I want to go dark, perhaps this fall.
Nikki

Yeah others suggested that as well but it made me look scary!

Kimberly

Practically Family
I have short hair and am now going to get it right above my collar bone. The layers are what kill me. They are great in the summer, but a nightmare to have when using curlers. I am going to grow my layers mid-length to see how it looks.

I will never have long hair again. I have small features and find that long hair drowns them out on me. I just got blonde highlights in my hair and like them for the summer but will be boing darker or even red in the fall. I can't make up my mind. lol

Kitsune Steele

New in Town
that darn curly hair!

I recently went through the need to cut all my hair off (it was halfway down my back!) and I was really happy with what we came up with, the little braids on the sides just disappear under a scarf when I am feeling more bold about having short hair (^_^) it's a tad longer in the back making it very easy to comb down into waves and the bangs work either curled in front or pinned over to the side in a spit curl. For really curly hair I think this is the best and most versatile short cut I've ever had. It can be so tough to find cute styles when your hair has a mind of its own!

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Pink Dahlia said:
l_94a16aff013187f9c1f46bb414e98e69.jpg

Pink Dahlia, I just LOVE that haircut!!!!!:D In any color, brunette, red, blonde! It's like an adaptation of the 20s bob brought into this century but whith a newer fresher look! Very,very nice :eusa_clap

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
Here is one of my short cuts from the Fall of 2005. I have other pictures that are better, but the hubby just shut his computer off. Darn network!
jensidexu1.jpg

This is from the Summer of 2006. Tried to do an Audrey Hepburn thing here. Don't mind the wistful-staring-at-nothing look lol
1003041qy7.jpg

I have pictures between then and now showing the progression of trying to grow out the mop. Actually, my hair dresser has done a great job of giving me a style every time.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
The Audrey Hepburn look is very cute on you! I love the little bangs.

Here's my hair when it was quite short about 2 years ago, when I was still in high school. I only started growing it out halfway through my first year of college:

pnauts1.jpg

It was originally the "Amelie" hair cut, aka a graduated bob (very short in the back, longer in the front), but then I started trying to do it more vintage and started flipping it out more 60's-ish.

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
GoldLeaf: Wow, the Audrey-style really suits you! It really brings out your big bright eyes! The other style is more modern and cheeky, but suits you well, too. I think you have a face for short do´s. Not everyone can pull them off.

Pigeontoe: It´s fun to see how a haircut totally changes a type! You look like a cheeky late 50s/early 60s schoolgirl with your old do and more like a lady with the longer hair.

Pink: I agree that it is way easier to style shorter hair. I got me a new haircut now and it´s easy to style it vintage every day now. When I had long hair it was a real pain cause when I used rollers it never got dry, even when I just sprayed it a bit with water. Now I just roll it over night, wake up, brush it and BANG I have a cute do that lasts all day.

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
Gold Leaf I love the Audrey 'do!

That is the current style I have, although I think it looks better on your darker hair than on my blonde!:)

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
Thanks for the compliments, ladies! :eek: I like short hair on me quite a bit, but I got bored (happens a lot!) and I really couldn't go much shorter lol I agree, the first picture is very modern and a bit punky. It was during the spring of 2006 that I started to get interested in vintage styles and that helped to fuel the desire to grow out my hair. That and I haven't had hair past my shoulders since .... oh .... 9th grade? :D Decided to give it a whirl.

Pigeon, I agree with Sari. Your shorter cut is VERY cute and it does make you look a bit more girlish. Either way you are adorable! It is interesting what an effect hair can have.

JazzBaby, I agree, Elizabeth had amazing short hair, she is just stunning. I am still not skilled enough with the curlers to emulate her style although I wish I had been!

RetroMom, I am sure you look adorable! I can picture that cut with blonde, and it would be super cute :) Dark hair is just more ...typical? Because Audrey had dark hair. If a cute blonde lady had the style, it would be hard to picture it with dark hair :)

Sweet Polly Purebred

A-List Customer
Hello Ladies .. This is my first post, so I'll introduce myself before asking/commenting on the thread ..

<introduction>I'm an immature 38, just moved back to Ireland after having been raised in the States, recently 'retired' from the Hotel industry as a Chef and am back at University studying Visual Communications/Graphic Design. Still consider myself a newlywed despite having just celebrated our 1st anniversary, my husband is in the Navy (U.S.) stationed in Bahrain until November '08. I'm not very good with introductions, so I'll leave it at that .. and say that I've thoroughly enjoyed lurking and have come to adore all of you from afar!</introduction>

Now .. regarding this thread, heh ..

In the West of Ireland it's really rare to see vintage style on anyone under 70, worse than that it's virtually impossible to get a hairstylist to cut my hair the way that I think would suit a vintage style. Perhaps I don't articulate myself very well to the stylists? I have mid length, thick, naturally curly hair and I want to get the most basic 40s cut to style in assorted ways. I've tried to explain a 10" Middy cut but their eyes glaze over and the stylist always argues with me about the cut.

How would you explain to a resistant stylist the exact cut that you would want?

Sweet Polly Purebred

A-List Customer
Yea, I've tried bringing photos in, I get the infamous eyeroll and a sigh usually, heheh .. Funnily enough, I googled "Middy Haircut" and it brought me back here to a thread from last year:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=11776

The first post said exactly what I wished I had .. Stylists all want to cut it in a trendy razor thing ..

I've debated going to a salon that caters to the older ladies, especially now that I've had 4 AWFUL haircuts in a row.

Any other advice will be heeded, especially from any of you with hair like mine (course Celtic curley and thick!)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Thora, my hairstylist tells me that haircuts aren't vintage or modern, just hairstyles. I was thinking you should try a salon that caters to older ladies and then I read it in your post. My stylist has her own salon, and she's really good. If she weren't, she'd likely go out of business.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree, go to the place that caters to the older ladies. That is what I've done for about 15 years and my stylist appreciates me bringing in photographs. My hair is thick, coarse, kinky or wavy, there's a lot of it even though I am over 40 and it's naturally red. Hope some ot the suggestions help. :)

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Paisley said:
Here is a web site that really helped me: http://www.thehairstyler.com/

You upload a photo of your head and shoulders and try on different hairstyles and colors. It's $15 for a three-month subscription. It was money well spent.

So, I did this yesterday and my friend and I spent probably two hours laughing ourselves silly over the photos that we uploaded. It was the best $15 I'd ever spent. But in the fooling around of it, we tried blonde hair and man, it was pretty cute actually!

I'll see if I can upload any of these for you guys to see. Seriously, they are hilarious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe