Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Spectator Shoes

rumblefish

One Too Many
Guttersnipe said:
In a last minute gut shot I was outbid on these the other day, probably the coolest pair of ventilated spectators I've ever seen (eBay sure can be a wicked mistress:( ):

Picture5-2.png

What did they go for?
I never put them in "watch" because they're too small for me, but I kept bumping into them while searching, hoping to see a larger pair some day.

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
Guttersnipe said:
In a last minute gut shot I was outbid on these the other day, probably the coolest pair of ventilated spectators I've ever seen (eBay sure can be a wicked mistress:( ):

Picture5-2.png

I Bid at 2 seconds on those, got outbid myself. Bleh, that one hurt.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
NOS French Shriner and Urner B&W Specs

Just jagged these on Ebay and immediately felt devastated. Why was that?

Well they are 8.5D and I am 10.5/11D.

So why did I buy them then?

Well how often do you find a NOS pair of French Shriner and Urner B&W Specs? Once in a lifetime?

The design is reminiscent of the Broadstreet but has a tweaking to it that makes it that much nicer a last. Touch of a spade sole as well. Era ? Mid-1950s was the end of French Shriner and Urner and it became just French Shriner.

In 1881 shoemakers Charles Shriner and Joseph French started a company in Brockton, Massachusetts. Like many American shoe mfgs, FS's past glory has faded, but it built a solid shoe through the 1950's - 60's.
Here's some pix:

cookie

I'll Lock Up
GWD said:
Allen Edmonds Winhalls;
web.jpg

Allen Edmonds Empires; 1930's
web.jpg

Those Winhalls must have been an experimental pair in just guessing size 9. The Empires are remarkably like my 1940s French Shriner B&W specs . Last is identical.

[/QUOTE]

Guttersnipe said:
Just snagged these puppies...a Sunday afternoon indoors well spent, IMHO!

il_fullxfull.154248241.jpg

A hunka hunka burnin' luuurv!

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Guttersnipe said:
Just picked these up myself. The contrast panel is really more of a blue/gray in person:

il_fullxfull.127713301.jpg

Almost bought these a few months back, but they were a size too big. They looked pretty good too.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Spectators from Great Gatsby Film

These were worn by Sam Waterstone in that film. Sold to a dealer for a cheap price (USD213) considering provenance and authenticity with buckskin treatment.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Check the shoes my father's wearing in this photo from the mid-1950s. I'm not sure if these qualify as spectators -- I suspect not -- but they're two-toned and, I think, kind of cool.

I don't think I've seen any quite like them, and I'd be interested in hearing from any of your experts who might have some thoughts to offer on them.

momdadflash2.jpg
dadshoe3.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
skyvue said:
Check the shoes my father's wearing in this photo from the mid-1950s. I'm not sure if these qualify as spectators -- I suspect not -- but they're two-toned and, I think, kind of cool.

I don't think I've seen any quite like them, and I'd be interested in hearing from any of your experts who might have some thoughts to offer on them.

momdadflash2.jpg
dadshoe3.jpg

Yeah, I would consider them spectators.

I've seen similar shoes in Penney's and Sears, Roebucks magazines. They're neat shoes, have elastic between the side slits.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
They are most unusual by 50s standards. They have that expander gusset opening that they used in the 50s for loafers but it is interesting just how they have placed it on the vamp. The high strip of leather forming the upper vamp as a spectator style contrast with the toecap is also unusual/original. I have never seen anything like this on eBay and I have checked out a lot of those type of shoes.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
cookie said:
They are most unusual by 50s standards. They have that expander gusset opening that they used in the 50s for loafers but it is interesting just how they have placed it on the vamp. The high strip of leather forming the upper vamp as a spectator style contrast with the toecap is also unusual/original. I have never seen anything like this on eBay and I have checked out a lot of those type of shoes.

I'm just miffed that Dad didn't hang on to these shoes long enough for me to have a crack at 'em!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe