Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Spade Sole Shoes

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Here's another one. Not mine, unfortunately:

DSC08126.jpg

I missed this pair in my size when a Japanese buyer jumped in...sooch is life!

1930sOrangeBrownCaptoeSpectators1.jpg

I have a version of these.

Wash In Lux

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
That's called a custom extension sole; it's known colloquially as a 'Philly spade sole'. A lot of cowboy boots have nearly identical soles. How do you feel about cowboy boots, Binkie?
More views:
AuctionsMay2007135.jpg

These remind me of a pair I had (which I'd forgotten until I saw these) that were a little more orangy-brown and had a VERY pointy toe. The heel was like these pictured, maybe an 1/8 or 1/4" higher than average and a spade sole as well. They seemed pretty zoot to me. Don't remember where I sent those.

Here's an idea: If you bought some cool shoes from me, "swiveler-and-mugsy" from San Diego, how 'bout some pics? They say it's a small world...

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
mike said:
I wonder if Leather Soul could do a FL-inspired shoe and/or boot with a spade sole. They seem to work with the people on Ask Andy & Style Forum: http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/category/limited-edition/

It's worth a try, though I doubt that many Fedora Loungers would be willing to spend big money on shoes. Hats are more their game.

Still, it would be great to have modern versions of these:

524c_1.jpg

52d7_1.jpg

Or these:

3a2e_1.jpg

3ae1_1.jpg

Or these:

DSC08126.jpg

1930sEsquire018.jpg

1930sEsquire061.jpg

1930sEsquire019.jpg

1930sEsquire067.jpg

1930sEsquire106.jpg

mike

Call Me a Cab
Man a la Mancha! Those suede ones I would ruin from drooling on them every time I looked down lol

Leather Soul certainly isn't cheap but they cater to the right audience who can pay for the high quality produced. One would assume interests would cross over from the various fan-based forums...? At least, as a testing of the waters I would think the spade sole model of choice would need to be something that could be worn with a multitude of options and weather conditions. Shell Cordovan? Or does it make more sense to put all your chips on the table and design something really one in a million today? I wonder if they could do a perforated spectator spade sole! I know if I was honestly considering a Leather Soul purchase it would probably take me up to a year to scrape the dough together. I wonder what time frame they work with when producing their limited editions.

I know I would also really like to see an ankle-high spade sole shoe!

cookie

I'll Lock Up
mike said:
Could a spade sole shoe not be produced today?

Yes Magnoli will do a custom job for USD375 he tells me. I have the photos and shoes to copy though...:D ;)

A guy on style forum had him make a pair of shoes recently and he praised the quality.

524c_1.jpg

52d7_1.jpg

Marc who are these by?

The Shooman

Practically Family
BinkieBaumont said:
AuctionsMay2007134.jpg

"Mr Cookie, i'm not a Huge fan of that "Hour glass figure" look, not in a shoe "

l'm not sure if l like the spade soles or not, but l do love the effect of the exotic leather. looks quite a well made shoo too.

All of those old shoes posted by Marc look well made. Factories really took the time to make shoes well in those days. lt really is wonderful seeing all the vintage shoos, thanks for posting them.

mike

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
Deadstock, from the 1930s. American. Brown kip suede with brown calfskin piping. Incredible!
e96.jpg

Beauties!

Is there a name for the area of shoe construction by the inside arch of the foot/shoe? The high inner arc is something I never see in modern shoes and really plays a significant part in making the lines of a shoe appear elegant. In my opinion, the lack of this high exterior arc is one of the telling signs that Allen Edmonds are modern shoes.

mike

Call Me a Cab
Tomasso said:
It's termed the Waist. Kinda makes sense, No.

Sure! Is its existence due to the shape of the last cutting closer in on the middle of the shoe? Why is it so elusive in modern shoes?

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:

Not mine, but they must be seen to be believed!

Deadstock, from the 1930s. American. Brown kip suede with brown calfskin piping. Incredible!

e96.jpg

e93.jpg

e94.jpg

e97.jpg

e95.jpg
Don't you wish they were yours? what a beautiful shoes :eusa_clap

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe