Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Peacoat sizing

glazer1972

New in Town
To give you an idea of my body type. I am 6'1" Tall. I weigh 215#s. Pant size is 36x34. Not too much of gut but I am not skinny.

Around my chest is 46.5". From the middle of my back, across the shoulder to within an inch of my knuckles is 36"

I have found a 50's vintage and it is a 47L or 48L online. Wondering if it would be too big.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I have two issued peacoats. One is a 1978 and the other is a 1992. Both are size 48 and they both fit pretty much like a snug-fitting size 48 civilian sports jacket. I'm not sure about peacoats made in the fifties, but modern ones don't run large. So, if you have a 46.5 inch chest, you'd probably want your coat to measure 50 inches at the chest. I expect that the size 48 coat you're looking at would probably fit.

AF

Peacoat

Bartender
A size 46 peacoat would probably fit the best and allow room for a sweater underneath. You need to get the pit to pit measurement from the seller to ensure it is within standard parameters. These coats can vary an inch or so from the stated size. The best way to determine if you need a long or a regular is by your normal suit length. If is a long, then you willneed a long peacoat. If not, then a regular peacoat should fit.

So is the peacoat a 47L or a 48L? A big difference there. Peacoats are made to fit snug without being tight. If you get one too loose, there will be too much air transfer between the body and the inner shell, and the warm air won't stay next your body.

I suggest you read my article on peacoat dating, which is in a sticky at the top of this page. If you have questions, let me know. Also a link to a picture would be a big help. If you can send a private message, send me the link, and I will take a look at it for you. If you post a link to a live ebay auction, some of the guys on here might get interested in it as it is not an easy size to find. If you can't send a PM, let me know and I will post my email address so you can send a link that way. I don't bid on coats people ask me to evaluate for them; that wouldn't be ethical.

glazer1972

New in Town
He is supposed to get me some measurements and get back to me. I haven't seen pics but just emailed him to ask for some. I was told it was excellent and thought the price was good enough to take a chance on.

I can't send PMs yet. I know I've seen your email listed but now I can't find it. I hate to say to much here cause I know these sizes are rare. If it turns out that it won't fit me then I won't mind sharing the info with everyone.

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
He is supposed to get me some measurements and get back to me. I can't send PMs yet. I know I've seen your email listed but now I can't find it. I think I may ask him to take some pics. I was told it was excellent and thought the price was good enough to take a chance on.

I believe you can click my name, and the option to send an email will be available. Now that I think about it, that address is one I have on file because it is a paid address through my ISP; unfortunately, I rarely check that box. I will see if I can send you an email.

Edit Note: Nope, can't do that either.

Last edited:

glazer1972

New in Town
I did check out your dating peacoats thread and I am still studying it. I sent you an email also. Thanks.

Last edited:

glazer1972

New in Town
Well I am sending that coat back. It ended up being a vintage heavy double breasted suit coat. The search goes on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82