Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Movie Suits

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Cooper always had a classy look about him! He was rather popular then... seems he kinda falls through the cracks when the topic of well dressed stars come up! I think he had a great style and his stature is close to mine... sure would love to find some of his suits! ;)

Lately, I've been watching a lot of early Cagney films... I really dig his style in the early 30s. High cut double breasted suits, patterned ties, tall crown reverse taper short brim hats... oh man, why is that look of the early 30s so appealing... I don't know, it just is!

From "Mayor of Hell"...

mayorofhell2eo9.jpg

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Forgotten Man said:
Cooper always had a classy look about him! He was rather popular then... seems he kinda falls through the cracks when the topic of well dressed stars come up! I think he had a great style and his stature is close to mine... sure would love to find some of his suits! ;)

Lately, I've been watching a lot of early Cagney films... I really dig his style in the early 30s. High cut double breasted suits, patterned ties, tall crown reverse taper short brim hats... oh man, why is that look of the early 30s so appealing... I don't know, it just is!

From "Mayor of Hell"...

mayorofhell2eo9.jpg
Wonderful photograph. 6" crown and 2" to 2 1/4" brim at the most? Probably has a center dent deep as the Grand Canyon too. What a fantastic look. The suit ain't bad either.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Forgotten Man said:
1946 to be exact.

Very true, though it seems a bit odd that the wardrobe folks would have the low-down, poor 1930s businessman character far away from Hollywood wear a suit such as this. It boggles my mind why they put George Bailey in it. Maybe Stewart supplied this own clothing?

Bailey's rich "heehaw!" friend would seem a more likely candidate for that suit.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
CigarMan said:
Spencer Tracy was always a great dresser . . .
spenkat3.jpg

One question about this suit:
Is that pattern the suit itself or just a shadow? 'Cause if you look at his hat, it has a similar shadow pattern as does the hat behind him.

If it is the suit pattern, that's awesome.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
thunderw21 said:
Is that pattern the suit itself or just a shadow?
It's a shadow caused by the home plate screen at Yankee Stadium. The photo is from "Woman of the Year".

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
thunderw21 said:
Very true, though it seems a bit odd that the wardrobe folks would have the low-down, poor 1930s businessman character far away from Hollywood wear a suit such as this. It boggles my mind why they put George Bailey in it. Maybe Stewart supplied this own clothing?

Bailey's rich "heehaw!" friend would seem a more likely candidate for that suit.

You must remember, back in the 30s and 40s that in the movies, wealth was displayed by flashy clothes... bold stripes and glen plaids... Stewart's suits in "It's a Wonderful Life" were mostly tweeds and somewhat less flashy then others. Sam Wainwright (played by Frank Albertson) was an out spoken, loud go getter who had a very colorful personality... so, they put him in many flashy types of clothes. He made it big in his plastics company and then was living high off the hog. George was the simple home bound man with a family in an old drafty house so, his clothes were less appealing to that of Sam's in 1940s regards... they did think differently then we do today about fashion. We look at the suits Stewart wore in those films and think they're amazing... and rightfully they are however, they are classy and attractive, but not the best that Hollywood could do. After all, they wanted Stewart to look poor but, not that poor! It is Hollywood after all!

filfoster

One Too Many
Mr. Rover said:
Check out the sleeve crease in that suit! Can't be period accurate without sleeve creases!
Also check out how short the jacket is. Nowadays, and it was not uncommon then, the jacket hem would end near the ends of the first knuckles, the hand could 'catch it' with curled fingers. This suit emphasizes Gary's height and slim hips. He could wear anything and look good.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
filfoster said:
Also check out how short the jacket is. Nowadays, and it was not uncommon then, the jacket hem would end near the ends of the first knuckles, the hand could 'catch it' with curled fingers.
Any tailor or haberdasher worth his salt (today or back in the day) would not use the location of the hands as an indicator in his criteria for determining proper jacket length. Jacket length is determined by assessing overall body proportion, with the primary goal to cover the posterior. It has nothing to do with arm length. If you find yourself being fitted by someone using your hand position, RUN, fast and far.

filfoster

One Too Many
Tomasso said:
Any tailor or haberdasher worth his salt (today or back in the day) would not use the location of the hands as an indicator in his criteria for determining proper jacket length. Jacket length is determined by assessing overall body proportion, with the primary goal to cover the posterior. It has nothing to do with arm length. If you find yourself being fitted by someone using your hand position, RUN, fast and far.

Thankfully, I have been spared that measure by any tailor; it is my own observation. By your criteria of covering the posterior, the wardrobe department may owe Mr. Cooper a few inches. It simply looks short, to me. It evidently met the tastes of the time.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
thunderw21 said:
Nice little SB PL number with two breast pockets! Patch pockets at that. Can't remember if this was a belted back or not.
003-19.jpg

002-24.jpg

resortes805 said:
Awesome!!!! Very 1940's Hollywood...

thunderw21 said:
... it seems a bit odd that the wardrobe folks would have the low-down, poor 1930s businessman character far away from Hollywood wear a suit such as this. It boggles my mind why they put George Bailey in it. Maybe Stewart supplied this own clothing?

Yup! This was, in fact, Jimmy Stewart's own suit. He wore in in several films over the years: the first was Made for Each Other (1939),a comedy in which he co-starred with Carole Lombard. Note that this was a 7 years before It's a Wonderful Life.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
Yup! This was, in fact, Jimmy Stewart's own suit. He wore in in several films over the years: the first was Made for Each Other (1939),a comedy in which he co-starred with Carole Lombard. Note that this was a 7 years before It's a Wonderful Life.

Thanks for confirming that, Marc. Welcome back.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe