Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Eyeglasses

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I went to my optometrist to have them make me some "stage shades" with a gradient tint that would look cool, function when in sun, yet allow me to see in low light if performing in a nightclub. Oh, and in my scipt too.

We went through a lot of frame choices, y'know the $400 kind which is what I expected to pay, but nothing grabbed me as being funky enough. Then the gal says, "We do have these old frames that one of our senior customers gave us and we'd give them to you, no charge - just $80 to make the lenses."

Perfect! They are genuinely old frames with a lot of interesting and tiny geometric engraving all around, including on the edge and back of the metal.

DSC_0008.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I got mine from...

Allyn Scura, here in No. Calif. They have a website with all kind of vintage frames. Had the prescription put into them, their prices are very reasonable. Mine are gold frames by American Optical, from the 1940s.
361109762.jpg

Edward

Bartender
univibe88 said:
For late 50s / early 60s check out Shuron: http://www.shuron.com

In particular, the ZYL was THE frame from that period: http://www.shuron.com/ronsir_zyl.htm

Shuron invented them and still makes them today.

The Ronsir Zyl model was very dominant in the 50s / 60s, though they were first introduced in 1947, making them pretty flexible for a wide range of period looks. I'm actually in the process of ordering up a pair or two myself, direct from Shuron. Eventually I might pick up a pair or two of earlier styles for a more 30s look, though day to day I think the Ronsirs are much more my taste.

AtomicEraTom said:
I'm a big fan of the 50's/60's style FBI/Malcom X kinda glasses with the thick top frames, very classy.

Yep, that's the Shuron Ronsir Zyls.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
James Stewart as Glen Miller frames??

Let's get some input here. If DH wants a 40s lookalike pair of eyeglasses such as JS wore in The Glen Miller Story, do you think the Art-Bilt Rimway with Perimetric #1 lenses could fit the bill??

MisterGrey

Practically Family
Edward said:
The Ronsir Zyl model was very dominant in the 50s / 60s, though they were first introduced in 1947, making them pretty flexible for a wide range of period looks. I'm actually in the process of ordering up a pair or two myself, direct from Shuron. Eventually I might pick up a pair or two of earlier styles for a more 30s look, though day to day I think the Ronsirs are much more my taste.

In the future you may want to check out the aforementioned bestbuyeyeglasses.com. They sell Shurons, in addition to several other retro styles. Although I've found Shuron's customer service department to be very helpful, they are selling you their product at "sticker price," as it were. Bestbuy is much less expensive, and like Shuron, you can order multiple pairs and return the ones that are too large/small/whatnot and get a full refund, minus the price of shipping.

Edward

Bartender
MisterGrey said:
In the future you may want to check out the aforementioned bestbuyeyeglasses.com. They sell Shurons, in addition to several other retro styles. Although I've found Shuron's customer service department to be very helpful, they are selling you their product at "sticker price," as it were. Bestbuy is much less expensive, and like Shuron, you can order multiple pairs and return the ones that are too large/small/whatnot and get a full refund, minus the price of shipping.

Do they offer to ship as 'commercial samples'? This makes, you know, a difference. ;)

I wish the Shuron stuff was widely available over here.... The opticians I use are great in terms of service, but alas their range of frames is very contemporary-fashion driven. Be it clothes, glasses, music or whatever, I've always been the sort that knows what I like and doesn't care whether it's in fashion or not.

Lillemor

One Too Many
Esme said:

I really like your frames.:) They look great on you.

If I had the money and excuse to buy new glasses (bought mine less than a year ago) I'll probably go for the slimmer version of the 60s because of my prescription so smaller/slimmer glasses work better for me. Who knows.....that time, that money, and that's the real issue here.;)

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
AtomicEraTom said:
I'm a big fan of the 50's/60's style FBI/Malcom X kinda glasses with the thick top frames, very classy.
Tom,
Malcolm X wore American Optical glasses; I have several photos of him, and none of them are Ronsir models....the AO's have a "wing" on the frames, not a solid "wedge" bar...
malcolm_x5.jpg

Septembre009.jpg

MALCOLMXCOPY.jpg

They are cool...I have 3 pair myself, off of eBay...incidentally, the same frames used by Tom Hanks' FBI character Carl Hanratty, in Catch Me If You Can...
image533931x.jpg

Hope this helps!;)
Rob

Edward

Bartender
Spitfire said:
HarryPalmer001.jpg

What do you think?

Look good! Are they, by any chance, RayBans? They have the look of Wayfarers about them to my eye.

Ghostsoldier said:
Tom,
Malcolm X wore American Optical glasses; I have several photos of him, and none of them are Ronsir models....the AO's have a "wing" on the frames, not a solid "wedge" bar...
They are cool...I have 3 pair myself, off of eBay...incidentally, the same frames used by Tom Hanks' FBI character Carl Hanratty, in Catch Me If You Can...

Aha! I see the difference now. I know Shuron came up with the browline design first, but yes theree seem to have been plenty of folks got in on the look pretty quickly. Actually, I have a pair of AOs, sunglasses, that I picked up on eBay myself recently. Interesting to see Hanks with them too - just the other week I happened to see, on television, that film for the first time (oddly enough, just as I was beginning to look into the Shurons for myself). I very much enjoyed it. Hanks' glasses looke great on him - I especially liked thed look of the clip on sunshades.... while I'm going, for practicality's sake, to opt for my regular photochromic lenses in all but one pairs of new glasses I plan to acquire over the next few months, I am sorely tempted to pick up a set of the clip-overs just for the sheer look of them.

:)

carter

I'll Lock Up
These zyl frames were my reading glasses until I broke them. Now I'm looking for another pair.
3461378388_5bfd15a2a9.jpg

I recently picked up these two pair of NOS zyl frames on Ebay.

70's zyl tortoise aviators - $24.95
3461405352_cbf3e9b51c.jpg

70's zyl tortoise by Linea Flex, Italy - $19.99
3461405414_e6a26b3b6c.jpg
3461405454_b94a0be343.jpg
3461405486_9b20900ae8.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe