Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Car Thread - Discussion and Parts Requests

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
How damaged is the shroud? I'f it's fiberglass rather than plastic it may be repairable. I've done quite a bit of fiberglass work and could make it look good as new depending on the amount of damage.

Thanks for the offer! I had not considered that alternative. If I go that route I may ask my brother if he would like to try and tackle it. He happens to be a certified marine fiberglass technician, and is used to working on people's very expensive tub toys. He is probably over qualified for the job. :) If I cannot find one, and if he is too busy, I many take you up on your offer. And only the top of the shroud got taken out.

My brother went on a trek today to look at a pair of '65 Chevy's, both Impalas, one a 396 SS. We were interested in buying, but unfortunately, they were just too far gone.

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
My brother went on a trek today to look at a pair of '65 Chevy's, both Impalas, one a 396 SS. We were interested in buying, but unfortunately, they were just too far gone.

It's such a shame when people let old cars sit unprotected and deteriorate to such a point that they are only good for parts at best. I saw a 1959 Lincoln Continental Sedan that was sitting out in a yard with garden hoses on the trunk, and a children's play pool upside down on the roof. And the car was far from unrestorable! Thankfully it is now gone, and hopefully to a good home

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I hate to say it but the old Dodge and Plymouth flatheads are prone to breaking pistons. It is possible the loose material is broken piston rings and broken piston top.

Had the oil pan off this week to install a new seal, and they tell me they found a big hunk of piston skirt in the bottom -- so that explains the weak compression, oil burning, and annoying ticking noise I've been getting lately. I'd been planning on an overhaul this winter anyway, so it looks like I'm going to be having that done sooner than later.

Even so, it still runs better on five cylinders than a lot of cars I've seen run on six. So by next spring I should be back to full power.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Yeah, better to do it now than be driving home one night and punch a rod thru the head or something. My father did that to our Nash, may it rest in pieces, and we ended up with a Renault -- the only the he could get on short notice for $75. Talk about comedowns.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Had the oil pan off this week to install a new seal, and they tell me they found a big hunk of piston skirt in the bottom -- so that explains the weak compression, oil burning, and annoying ticking noise I've been getting lately. I'd been planning on an overhaul this winter anyway, so it looks like I'm going to be having that done sooner than later.

Even so, it still runs better on five cylinders than a lot of cars I've seen run on six. So by next spring I should be back to full power.

A good place to get flathead parts, Vintage Power Wagons. They have NOS pistons for your car for $75 a set.

http://www.vintagepowerwagons.com/pdf/parts/01engine.pdf

Remember your Canadian made engine is the larger DeSoto/Chrysler block with undersize 3 3/8 bore. If the cylinders need to be rebored you can use stock DeSoto/Chrysler 3 7/16 pistons which are usually cheaper than oversize pistons.

If the cylinders are not scored or worn it may be possible to overhaul the engine without removing it from the car. But if it has more than 50,000 miles it might be better to go through it completely. Normal life of those engines was 80,000 to 100,000 miles, somewhat longer using modern oils.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I had just turned over 92,000 when the piston failed, so I'm thinking it really ought to have the Full Monty.

We've got a rebuilder here in Maine, about 45 miles from here, so I'm having it towed up there tomorrow, and they're going to give it the works for me. And then it's good for another 70 years.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Comedown? That was a nosedive into the ground. :p

Indeed. We went from one of these --

1956+Nash+Rambler+side.jpg

To one of these --

2008-2-5_100ESLacyWeb-Large.jpg

It wasn't long after that that my mother kicked my father out the door. That wasn't the only reason, but I suspect it might have been one of them.

My parents bought a Renault years ago. Dad got it because it was more efficient than the LTD to drive from Mayville to Milwaukee every day. He sold it after a few weeks. Biggest piece of junk we ever owned. Never bought another import after that.

Yeah, better to do it now than be driving home one night and punch a rod thru the head or something. My father did that to our Nash, may it rest in pieces, and we ended up with a Renault -- the only the he could get on short notice for $75. Talk about comedowns.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I don't remember a whole lot about ours other than the fact that everybody on the street laughed at it -- really laughed, out loud, as in "What is this, a joke? Really?" and that my steel-wheeled roller skates had a more comfortable ride.

lol

At least they all have no other option but to admire the Plodge today!

I don't remember a whole lot about ours other than the fact that everybody on the street laughed at it -- really laughed, out loud, as in "What is this, a joke? Really?" and that my steel-wheeled roller skates had a more comfortable ride.

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
Ahoy LizzieMaine and All,

I'm currently "battening down hatches" here as we are in the direct path of an uninvited quest, that being Hurricance Sandy. My main concern is that my garage where I keep my 65 Lincoln Convertible is adjacent to my neighbor's very old oak tree, which towers over 75', and happens to overhang it. There also happens to be a fair amount of large dead wood on the tree that high up. Thankfully my mechanics have given me a safe harbor for the "Queen Mary" as she is lovingly known until the storm passes. They would not even take money for mothballing her in one of their bays there until the storm passes. They are real great guys. LizzieMaine, I hope like me, that you are far enough inland so that you don't have to put a snorkel on your "Plodge" with the storm surge!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The Plodge is on the back of a hauler at this moment, being taken to New World Engine and Machine Works in Winthrop -- about an hour's drive from here -- so hopefully they get there intact before the serious storm hits.

I have a large poplar tree in my yard with a disturbing lean to it, but it leans in the direction of the street, not the driveway, so I'm not too worried. If it falls, though, it'll take out power and telephone service to the whole block.

I'm about a quarter mile from the shore, but I'm on a hill, so I'm not too worried about flooding here -- but the seaweed processing plant is going to get pasted.

Last edited:

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
The Plodge is on the back of a hauler at this moment, being taken to New World Engine and Machine Works in Winthrop -- about an hour's drive from here -- so hopefully they get there intact before the serious storm hits.

I have a large poplar tree in my yard with a disturbing lean to it, but it leans in the direction of the street, not the driveway, so I'm not too worried. If it falls, though, it'll take out power and telephone service to the whole block.

I'm about a quarter mile from the shore, but I'm on a hill, so I'm not too worried about flooding here -- but the seaweed processing plant is going to get pasted.

We have similar concerns here. We have another tree that belongs to the same neighbor that the telephone and power service goes through. If the tree goes, or any of the big limbs crash, pop goes the weasel! We also live in the old part of our town which has many tall old trees so that it also a concern. But I would rather live here than in one of the newer sections of town where they have cookie cutter houses that are all from the same two or three molds. Besides that, I know my 1895 Victorian has been through a storm or two in it's 117 years, and is more stoutly built than many newer homes. I will just be moving our daily driver cars out of harms way should a tree come down.

That was mighty kind of them. Good to see some people still have kindness in their hearts.

Thankfully my mechanics have given me a safe harbor for the "Queen Mary" as she is lovingly known until the storm passes. They would not even take money for mothballing her in one of their bays there until the storm passes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe