Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Car Thread - Discussion and Parts Requests

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
They definitely don't.
I can add that you are definitely going to have to replace just about every rubber part on it as well. Tires, hoses, belts etc. All of those things go at the worst possible times if you don't replace them all at once.
Off now to jump into the 73 Mach 1 and jet home. :p
I’ve already been there and done that with the tires, belts, and hoses. I cannot even imagine going down the highway on 20-year-old tires, and waiting for a belt or hose to go at any given moment! I’m sure your 73 Mach 1 could beat me off the line, and run circles around my 18 ft. long by 6 ½ ft. wide land yacht. And it probably gets better mileage than my penny pinching 9 around town, and thrifty 11-14 on the highway. Does your Mustang require premium fuel? The 430 under my hood requests only the very best Dom Perignon high-test fuel, which I’m obliged to give it to avoid having in grouse at me by pinging and poor performance. Well, after all one had to worry about fuel economy, this was not the car to by in the first place.

I’ve already been there and done that with the tires, belts, and hoses. I cannot even imagine going down the highway on 20-year-old tires, and waiting for a belt or hose to go at any given moment! I’m sure your 73 Mach 1 could beat me off the line, and run circles around my 18 ft. long by 6 ½ ft. wide land yacht. And it probably gets better mileage than my penny pinching 9 around town, and thrifty 11-14 on the highway. Does your Mustang require premium fuel? The 430 under my hood requests only the very best Dom Perignon high-test fuel, which I’m obliged to give it to avoid having in grouse at me by pinging and poor performance. Well, after all one had to worry about fuel economy, this was not the car to by in the first place.

The big 351C probably would do all of that. :p They can move. Check out Sean Connery in Diamonds Are Forever. He really puts one through its paces. :p
The Mach 1 requires premium gas as well. You could adjust the timing for cheaper gas but it would not run the same. If they have to worry about fuel economy then they shouldn't be driving our cars. :p
I don't get much better mileage in the Mach 1---if even better at all. :p

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
The big 351C probably would do all of that. :p They can move. Check out Sean Connery in Diamonds Are Forever. He really puts one through its paces. :p
The Mach 1 requires premium gas as well. You could adjust the timing for cheaper gas but it would not run the same. If they have to worry about fuel economy then they shouldn't be driving our cars. :p
I don't get much better mileage in the Mach 1---if even better at all. :p
I agree with you why bother having a big block if you are going to give it cheap fuel. The car will not run as well, and in my case I do not want to have a big car that cannot get out of it’s own way. I have an old Road and Track review of my car the year it came out, and can you believe it 0-60 in 11.4 seconds! That’s not bad for a car that is 280 lbs. shy of three tons. I guess if one ever wanted to engage in an up market bank heists this might be a car to consider. Also it has been ages since I have seen “Diamonds are Forever,” perhaps I will have to give it viewing again sometime. Does your better half like your car? Mine loves mine and does not want me to ever get rid of it.

I agree with you why bother having a big block if you are going to give it cheap fuel. The car will not run as well, and in my case I do not want to have a big car that cannot get out of it’s own way. I have an old Road and Track review of my car the year it came out, and can you believe it 0-60 in 11.4 seconds! That’s not bad for a car that is 280 lbs. shy of three tons. I guess if one ever wanted to engage in an up market bank heists this might be a car to consider. Also it has been ages since I have seen “Diamonds are Forever,” perhaps I will have to give it viewing again sometime. Does your better half like your car? Mine loves mine and does not want me to ever get rid of it.

I actually got it for her birthday. :p She drove it daily for years until we got the Escalade.

In Diamonds, the Mach 1 was on two wheels for a bit. :p

Nice stats on your car. It moved well enough to be a presidential limo. :D

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
I actually got it for her birthday. :p She drove it daily for years until we got the Escalade.

In Diamonds, the Mach 1 was on two wheels for a bit. :p

Nice stats on your car. It moved well enough to be a presidential limo. :D

Now that you mention it, I think I remember the movie scene where the Mach one was on two wheels. I don’t think anyone could pull off a stunt like that with my Admiral’s Barge! My son also loves going out in her, as I’m sure it is a safe bet that your boys like riding in your car. I rarely allow for or drink in the car except under the strictest oversight, no problems as of yet. And she is fun to take through a drive through just to see the reaction from the kids working there.

Now that you mention it, I think I remember the movie scene where the Mach one was on two wheels. I don’t think anyone could pull off a stunt like that with my Admiral’s Barge! My son also loves going out in her, as I’m sure it is a safe bet that your boys like riding in your car. I rarely allow for or drink in the car except under the strictest oversight, no problems as of yet. And she is fun to take through a drive through just to see the reaction from the kids working there.

Yeah, not a good idea to try that with the Lincoln. :p

The boys tend to like it for sure. :p

My favorite thing is taking it by the local mustang parts shop and not stopping. They always wonder who the heck I am. :p

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
Yeah, not a good idea to try that with the Lincoln. :p

The boys tend to like it for sure. :p

My favorite thing is taking it by the local mustang parts shop and not stopping. They always wonder who the heck I am. :p
The mustang parts store must think you are a wraith, perhaps “The Ghost of Big Block Past!” My guys at local NAPA parts store had eyes the size of saucers, and had to pick their chins up off the counter, the first time I pulled up to the store. She is also fun to take to any drive up window, just to see how folks react seeing a car this big. One of the most fun things I did was visiting the local Ford dealership. It was a day when there happened to be nary another customer in sight. When I pulled up the 5 or 6 salesman practically had their noses pressed against the glass of the showroom looking at my Lincoln. When I got out they came out to look the car over, and they reminded of honeybees drawn to a field of flowers in the spring. I told them we were considering moving to the country and am musing getting a truck (Which is true.), and what could they do on trade toward a F250 (Which was a world class leg pull.) Several of them were almost saying “dibs,” I saw him first. And I got the impression that a few of them were considering how they would make sure the car would never make it into their used car lot. I told them I was truly interested in finding out about trucks, but was only having fun when it came to the trade in. One of the older salesmen, that was almost enough to be my father, was very disappointed when he heard that, but gave me his card and told me to talk with him first if I ever changed my mind. He proceeded to point out some of finer points of the car to the younger sales guys that had never seen a Lincoln of this vintage. Some of the other guys from the parts and service department even wandered out to have a gander before I thanked them for their time, turned the key, and silently pulled away, leaving a small but admiring crowd.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for all the good information.

The car belongs to my sister (would rather try trading with a total stranger than her, but that's another story ...). My sister says the car will run if you pore gas into the carburetor (carb and/or fuel pump problems???). I haven't talked to her about selling the car to me, as I wanted to get an idea of what it may be worth before even talking about a price. Here's a little background on the car:

My aunt Hazel bought the car new in 1961. My aunt was a school teacher who never married and always lived at home with my grandmother. From a very early age, I used to spend a lot of time with my grandmother and aunt. After I started to school, my aunt would come to my parent's house on Friday afternoon and take me back to her and my grandmother's house (the house I now have, by the way). I would ride in that '61 Chevy every weekend.

My aunt Sara had a '65 Ford, and when she passed away in 1983 that car was left to me (still have the car and still drive it regularly). When my aunt Hazel decided to stop driving around 1993, she gave her '61 Chevy to my sister. My sister drove the car for several years, but eventually parked it for good in 2007.

My sister and her husband are always "looking for the big buck" kind of people, and several years ago they got the idea that the car would be worth "$8,000 or more." Needless to say, they haven't sold it yet.

I hadn't seen the car for several years, but have always wanted to get it back "home" where it belonged. I'm at a place now where I could devote a couple thousand dollars for something like this. I'd like to get the car back to driving shape and give it a paint job. I can't afford to "restore" the car, but just "stabilize" it so it will not deteriorate further.

I stopped by this afternoon to look at the car (she has it parked in a field behind an abandoned service station). I almost wish I hadn't seen it, as it's in worse shape than I knew. There is no "major" rust, but it really needs paint bad. The interior is not too bad, except that it has been closed up and is moldy (and is probably home to a couple families of field mice). My poor old aunt would rollover in her grave if she saw the condition of her old car.

Here are a couple pictures taken this afternoon.

DSC06827.jpg

DSC06830.jpg

DSC06829.jpg

DSC06831.jpg

DSC06828.jpg

And one more of the car, my aunt, and me back when the car was new.

DSC03899.jpg

If nothing else, I'd like to get the car and take it back home to let it die a natural death where my aunt always had it parked. The old car deserves more than to be abandoned to rot away in a field.

Not to sound harsh, but if you give her $1000-$1500 she'd be very lucky. I wouldn't pay more than that.

The mustang parts store must think you are a wraith, perhaps “The Ghost of Big Block Past!” My guys at local NAPA parts store had eyes the size of saucers, and had to pick their chins up off the counter, the first time I pulled up to the store. She is also fun to take to any drive up window, just to see how folks react seeing a car this big. One of the most fun things I did was visiting the local Ford dealership. It was a day when there happened to be nary another customer in sight. When I pulled up the 5 or 6 salesman practically had their noses pressed against the glass of the showroom looking at my Lincoln. When I got out they came out to look the car over, and they reminded of honeybees drawn to a field of flowers in the spring. I told them we were considering moving to the country and am musing getting a truck (Which is true.), and what could they do on trade toward a F250 (Which was a world class leg pull.) Several of them were almost saying “dibs,” I saw him first. And I got the impression that a few of them were considering how they would make sure the car would never make it into their used car lot. I told them I was truly interested in finding out about trucks, but was only having fun when it came to the trade in. One of the older salesmen, that was almost enough to be my father, was very disappointed when he heard that, but gave me his card and told me to talk with him first if I ever changed my mind. He proceeded to point out some of finer points of the car to the younger sales guys that had never seen a Lincoln of this vintage. Some of the other guys from the parts and service department even wandered out to have a gander before I thanked them for their time, turned the key, and silently pulled away, leaving a small but admiring crowd.

I knw what you mean. I drove the 57 Chevrolet into a Chevrolet dealership and had about the same experience. :p I told them that I would buy a new one when they started making them like that again. The dealer said that they could never afford to build them like that now. :p

I'm doing my best lol It's tough as a 21 year old apartment dweller. My extra cars sit at my parents' house and they aren't always too thrilled about that.

Why not, go ahead and get another! You can always get some Backyard Buddys and start stacking them up like cordwood in your garage! You can be a man for all seasons with cars to match.

That's wayyy overpriced. The one I was looking at was 900 bucks.

Oh yeah. I saw one out in the Delta a couple months ago and thought about you. Then there was one for sale in Concord. They wanted $5000. Of course it's still in their driveway.

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
I knw what you mean. I drove the 57 Chevrolet into a Chevrolet dealership and had about the same experience. :p I told them that I would buy a new one when they started making them like that again. The dealer said that they could never afford to build them like that now. :p

The older salesman told me the same thing; they could never afford to build a car like my 65 Lincoln nowadays. I happen to know that is true from my own reading about the car. Back when my car was made quality control was very strict. At that time Lincoln was a separately run marquee, and were only produced in Ford’s Wixon MI plant on an entirely separate line of its own. Each and every car was driven over their private course for ten miles to root out any defects before it was shipped to a dealership. They would also strip down every 50 to 100th car to check for consistent QA, so the workers had to stay on their toes, and a “good enough for government work” attitude saw you “turfed out” door real fast. There was also a great deal of other QA checks too numerous to list here. It would be nice if some day if a reasonable balance could be reached between management, labor, and government so that competiveness, quality, and profitability could return to the US automotive industry. To think that at one time the American made car was the king of the highways.

Last edited:

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
Some people think that just because they own the object it's valuable.

That is not true in my case, as I do not own one. I was however been told by a brother in law, who is a master mechanic, that yes, it is pricey, however it is the safest one he has seen to date. He also suggested that if I was ever going to consider the purchase of one, this is the one he would personally recommend, especially with my little guy running around. That being said, everyone has to decide for himself what an item worth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld