Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Bathing Suits

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I think it's more that Millicent Binks is quite small and slight so the suit has swamped her!

At least, when they started selling them they were 100% EW suits, I suppose they could have made their own copies. The bikini is identical, and the black one looks the same, just way too big on the model!

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
I just discovered this Dutch swimwear brand, Mama Maria.
It doesn't seem to be maternity swimwear, though the name could lead you to think so.

B165.jpg

B191%20klein.jpg

They have some very cute styles in their webshop!

lady eel

New in Town
not to bring back the debate but...

I also wear my vintage, even swimwear.
here is a member of the Vintage Fashion Guild who specializes in swimsuits
http://www.glamoursurf.com/home.html

I was in love with one she had and when I checked today it had been sold. It is the cutest one I have EVER seen
from the archive on the site

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
lady eel said:
I also wear my vintage, even swimwear.

At your own risk! I almost ruined a vintage suit by wearing it in chlorinated water. I'm sure a few gals here have stories as well.

I definitely wear mine for sunbathing though!

MJrules

One of the Regulars
Oh, that black and white Mama Maria suit is just gorgeous!!! But I can only afford the one I just ordered from pinupgirlclothing.com. My bf thought I was joking and said it looked like a dress...we'll see. The features are what sold me:

Features Include:
Fully lined inside with power mesh to define your curves
Top is padded with cups, and has a built-in shelf bra to lift that cleavage
Gathered design hides any imperfections
Adjustable elastic shoulder straps for comfort
Two removeable rhinestone brooches

suit.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
MJrules, let me know how the coverage is on the back side of this suit! I've been looking at this one for awhile and I do love it, but in all the photos, it doesn't look like it has full back coverage. I look forward to your full report!

MJrules

One of the Regulars
Hmmmmm...you bring up a good point. Assumed back coverage is why I bought this one in the first place...ok, stay tuned!

MJrules

One of the Regulars
KittyT said:
MJrules, let me know how the coverage is on the back side of this suit! I've been looking at this one for awhile and I do love it, but in all the photos, it doesn't look like it has full back coverage. I look forward to your full report!

Ok, so I just got the suit and it really does cover up the bum. It's like hot shorts in the back (but no cheeks hangin' out), with actual shorts in the front, covered by the skirt panel of the suit. There's lots of support through the whole thing, the straps adjust all the way. The only problem is that I'm about 5'2 so it was a just a little long-waisted on me and I don't fill it out on top as much as I'd like!
However, I still like it a lot and I think with some towering espadrilles and lip gloss, it will look more pinup. All it has to do now it pass the bf test...
I hope that helped KittyT!

olive bleu

One Too Many
we see what we wanna see...

lol
Miss 1929 said:
A hardly worn, white satin, Esther Williams bathing suit from her FIRST season. circa 1990.

About a size 4, but being spandex can go down to 2 or up to 6 easily.

I will take pics later today and post it! But it looks like this, pardon the lousy posture on the model, I found her on the internet...
swim_2.jpg

Ha Ha..i was excited about this till i saw the size...maybe if i can stick a 1 in front of itlol

MissHannah

One Too Many
MJrules said:
Ok, so I just got the suit and it really does cover up the bum. It's like hot shorts in the back (but no cheeks hangin' out), with actual shorts in the front, covered by the skirt panel of the suit. There's lots of support through the whole thing, the straps adjust all the way. The only problem is that I'm about 5'2 so it was a just a little long-waisted on me and I don't fill it out on top as much as I'd like!
However, I still like it a lot and I think with some towering espadrilles and lip gloss, it will look more pinup. All it has to do now it pass the bf test...
I hope that helped KittyT!

I'm really tempted by this one too - it's utterly gorgeous. I may save up my pennies and get one shipped over. It's not a bad price really. How is the quality MJ?

EDIT: Just discovered they charge $32 to ship to the UK, taking the total bill over $100. Bit steep...

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
MissHannah said:
EDIT: Just discovered they charge $32 to ship to the UK, taking the total bill over $100. Bit steep...

I've seen these suits for sale on Ebay. May want to check there - you might get a better price on both the suit and the shipping!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
MissHannah said:
REALLY? THANKS FOR THE TIP KITTY - I'LL CHECK.
Excue caps lock!! Were they in the reproduction sections or new?

I don't remember. I just do searches for "repro swim" and it finds stuff. I think they're listed under reproductions.

MJrules

One of the Regulars
MissHannah said:
How is the quality MJ?

It looks and feels pretty sturdy. The fabric is nice and soft on the inside too. And since it's 92% polyester, it's got a satin-y shine to it. But because the neckline comes up too high on me, I think I'm leaning more towards Ashley Dean's styles right now:

ashdean.jpg
ad2.jpg
ad.jpg

I don't know if you can tell in the picture, but the yellow one has a pretty little cutout under the tie. She doesn't have prices listed on her site or myspace, I hope they're not too expensive because I think I'm in love!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
MJrules said:
It looks and feels pretty sturdy. The fabric is nice and soft on the inside too. And since it's 92% polyester, it's got a satin-y shine to it. But because the neckline comes up too high on me, I think I'm leaning more towards Ashley Dean's styles right now:

I've been looking for more Ashley Dean info as well, but I'm not finding anything.

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
UNBELIEVABLE I just found a vintage Jantzen royal/navy blue vintage swimsuit with big ol' white polkadots (it buttons in back! :D) at an estate sale for $.75. Yes, less than a DOLLAR. And miracle of miracles--it fits. The people there didn't know what they were selling and I almost crumbled with disbelief!

Pics to come. I am still shell-shocked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe