Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson! Vanson! Vanson!

I have no experience with Thurston and prefer to deal directly with Vanson. My experience with Vanson has been satisfying. They are not fashion jackets. I like to support support small American businesses when I can so for me it is win-win, especially since they are involved in the motorcycle community. I don't know where Thurston stands.
Thurston is a retailer who contracts with Vanson, Aero and Thedi leathers. They originally were very involved with the motorcycling community in Seattle, under the Insurrection company moniker. You could purchase and customize a full race suit, etc and one of the founders was in fact a track rider. These days they are more casually focused (I believe).

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ideal for a motorcycle jacket but not for playing table tennis. Point is Vansons are purpose built. If you want one because you like the look then be prepared to adapt or hop on a bike and see how it works.

Why are you trying to argue with me?

I'm praising Vanson's jackets, have spent time at their factory, talked to Mr (and Mrs) Vanson, etc.

Tim S

New in Town
My issue is with absolute statements. If someone likes a jacket, then hooray. If they need to come here for advice as to "quality" or "ideal" then I find the advice suspect. This is why I generally lurk rather than participate. Didn't mean to hurt your feelings.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My issue is with absolute statements. If someone likes a jacket, then hooray. If they need to come here for advice as to "quality" or "ideal" then I find the advice suspect. This is why I generally lurk rather than participate. Didn't mean to hurt your feelings.

No feelings hurt. No one is missing anything from your lack of participation.

But if you find our advice and experience suspect, I don't see what you get out of lurking.

VansonRider

A-List Customer
If you want a motorcycle jacket for protection, a Dainese or other similar brands with armor are the best solution. All other jackets are a big compromise in a motorcycle accident. Some jackets are better motorcycle tools than others, None armor motorcycle jackets are mainly design to keep the weather environment out and help you with a minor motorcycle falls. An armor jacket does it much better in minor accidents. In a major street accident, both types of jackets are not going to save your life. The street is not a track, where armor jackets shine. The open road and the street, are different birds from the track. There are just way too many variables that put your life in danger in those two none track scenarios. A stop/speed sign post will kill a person in an instant. The story of Nicholas Hayden is a perfect story to demonstrated how dangerous it is to take a bicycle on the street.

Vanson made it's name building custom track suits for non sponsored riders who pay for their own gear and needed a suit that would survive multiple spills and eventually be repairable. Their experience is applied into the fit, stitching, seam placement, and patterns of all their jackets.

62DFB257-8256-46E3-B420-B807F2D8026C.jpeg

29CF36AF-5070-4639-AE1F-B935D5D985BD.jpeg

I’d take their purpose build armored gear over a one and done Dainese any day of the week.

The classic riding jackets incorporate all that knowledge gained at the track as far as the patterning. If you wear one of their traditional jackets over an armored shirt you’d be just as prepared for a slide as in anything else, and a much safer than in the vast majority of jackets.

I do 100% agree with your statement about street vs track though. A signpost or a telephone pole can defeat the best gear made.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rand S