Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson! Vanson! Vanson!

Zetachaox

New in Town
I tried on a Vanson Arrow and I noticed that the sleeves made it difficult to bend the arm completely since it kinda bunched up at the joint. Was this due to the Arrow having narrow sleeves or due to the thickness of the material?

TartuWolf

One Too Many
I think that you need to take the intended market into account as well - Japan market Vansons tend to have narrower sleeves if I'm not mistaken. But overall there are a lot of Enfield examples on TFL and the sleeves seem fine.

We have had reports that the recent comp weight is rather fantastic, search this thread.

Tim S

New in Town
I tried on a Vanson Arrow and I noticed that the sleeves made it difficult to bend the arm completely since it kinda bunched up at the joint. Was this due to the Arrow having narrow sleeves or due to the thickness of the material?
I have an arrow and it is snug on the sleeves but for a rider this is appropriate. The jacket stays put. It is a design element that works.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My experience with Model B and Comet is that the sleeves are cut with a lot of room yet cinch up tight when you do the forearm zips. This is ideal imo.

Tim S

New in Town
To each their own. I found the arrow to be one of the most comfortable riding jackets that I have ever had. The chest is roomy. The sleeves and waist are snug. You can swivel without catching wind. A snap down collar isn't needed because the upper body doesn't balloon when scooting down the highway half zipped. Don't buy it if you don't like it.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
To each their own. I found the arrow to be one of the most comfortable riding jackets that I have ever had. The chest is roomy. The sleeves and waist are snug. You can swivel without catching wind. A snap down collar isn't needed because the upper body doesn't balloon when scooting down the highway half zipped. Don't buy it if you don't like it.

Huh? I just described the pattern as ideal.

I know the Arrow is particularly narrow sleeves; any experience with Enfield or Mercury?
I had two versions of the Thurston Bros take on the Arrow (the gambler) and indeed the sleeves were absolute angel hair pasta width. I can’t speak to the actual Vanson Arrow as I’ve never tried one. You can see my thoughts on it here:
Initially I liked the jacket but looking back the sleeves are indeed quite absurd and having bought and sold two, no regrets about not keeping either. It’s just not for me, despite absolutely loving the design itself, the sleeves were legitimately painful.

The Merc is a standard Vanson. The sleeve width is similar to their catalog range. Trim but not overly so. Similar to stock Aero 30’s patterns. Which is about perfect IMO. Comp weight makes them feel much more narrow prior to break in. Comparing the two, while both are trim, the standard Vanson pattern is more forgiving. I love the Mercury. It’s a no bullshit, basic, total ass kicker, that is so simple it can be worn anywhere and would be absolutely suited for scooting as well. Great all arounder.

Tim S

New in Town
Ideal for a motorcycle jacket but not for playing table tennis. Point is Vansons are purpose built. If you want one because you like the look then be prepared to adapt or hop on a bike and see how it works.

Zetachaox

New in Town
Thanks for the input! Any thoughts between the Mercury and the Enfield? The cut on the Enfield seems more forgiving; but it also looks more purpose built for riding, which I do not do. The Mercury looks more simple with the lack of action back and side buckles, but that waist taper is scary, haha.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Ideal for a motorcycle jacket but not for playing table tennis. Point is Vansons are purpose built. If you want one because you like the look then be prepared to adapt or hop on a bike and see how it works.

If you want a motorcycle jacket for protection, a Dainese or other similar brands with armor are the best solution. All other jackets are a big compromise in a motorcycle accident. Some jackets are better motorcycle tools than others, None armor motorcycle jackets are mainly design to keep the weather environment out and help you with a minor motorcycle falls. An armor jacket does it much better in minor accidents. In a major street accident, both types of jackets are not going to save your life. The street is not a track, where armor jackets shine. The open road and the street, are different birds from the track. There are just way too many variables that put your life in danger in those two none track scenarios. A stop/speed sign post will kill a person in an instant. The story of Nicholas Hayden is a perfect story to demonstrated how dangerous it is to take a bicycle on the street.

Oh believe me I do indeed realize that. I’ve owned and ridden in Vanson jackets since the 1990’s. I believe the Thurston model is built for wear off a bike. There are a myriad of better suited patterns for motorcycling and my personal favorite for that purpose is the model E.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
A good jacket won't save your life, but it will make stacking on the miles easier.
Nothing wrong with that. My point was to remind some people that a jacket is a tool that potentially can save your life in a MINOR accident. My goal when riding is to enjoy the ride. My experience has taught me to be in the look for danger so that I can anticipate potential harmful options others take when sharing the road.

Tim S

New in Town
I have no experience with Thurston and prefer to deal directly with Vanson. My experience with Vanson has been satisfying. They are not fashion jackets. I like to support support small American businesses when I can so for me it is win-win, especially since they are involved in the motorcycle community. I don't know where Thurston stands.

Thanks for the input! Any thoughts between the Mercury and the Enfield? The cut on the Enfield seems more forgiving; but it also looks more purpose built for riding, which I do not do. The Mercury looks more simple with the lack of action back and side buckles, but that waist taper is scary, haha.
I wouldn’t choose either one as true rider, though there is no doubt you could use each in that way. The dedicated riding line just offers creature comforts for riding that neither the Merc or Enfield do. I haven’t owned and Enfield but I have owned B’s, F’s and Oxford 9D’s. All the same family of jackets. The Merc is a comet with a collar (sort of). Honestly you can’t go wrong either way. I chose the Merc for its banal simplicity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rand S