Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Valentine's Day. What's your view?

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Ruby Slippers said:
I am also not that big on chocolate! I have been told this is strange.

Ruby Slippers - I'm not that mad on chocolate either. I can take it or leave it and that's the good stuff.

I give the BF a card, but that's it. Showing you care for each other all year round is more important, and not just with presents!

Sunny

One Too Many
My birthday. :eusa_clap

Intermediate Accounting II (grad level) evening exam. :rage:

vonwotan

Practically Family
We tend to avoid nights out on the holidays unless it's a nice dinner party at a friend's home. Big nights out are generally spontaneous or at least less planned - i.e. a friend was unable to use his tickets to the Boston Symphony so we found ourselves at the performance followed by dinner at a nice french bistro. Great evening, but quite relaxed. No longstanding reservations or timetables to worry about...

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I never hated Valentine's Day. If people wanna partake in it, go for it. As for me, I'm married and it's just another extra time for my hubby and I to get each other gifts, but we give each other presents all year round! I also have fun making him his card; we never buy them because there's nothing that "speaks" to us. I like homemade cards better, anyway :)

So yea, V-Day is ok with me. In all honesty, it's just another day!

Feraud

Bartender
Daisy Buchanan said:
Happy Anniversary to you and the lovely Mary Ellen:)
My grandparents were married on Valentines day and they had a very long and incredibly happy life together.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the holiday. But I'm single. My view might be different if I was in love. However, I do have a first date the day after Valentines day, so maybe next year my sentiments will be different!
We both thank you very much Daisy! I will take your grandparents great life together as a good fortune for us. :)
Enjoy the first date!

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
I'm married, and I don't think V-day is that big of a deal. The curmudgeon in me grumbles that it's just an artificial holiday that has been manufactured by greeting-card/chocolate/flower companies who care a lot more about making money than promoting love. I don't need an excuse to show my love for my wife, to do things for her she appreciates, or buy her things she'll enjoy.

Just as a dress code takes some of the fun and pride out of dressing well, showing love for people when you're socially obligated to seems less meaningful than doing it spontaneously when you aren't. To me, it means more when I write my mother a letter in January telling her how much I love her than it does when I do the same thing on the second Sunday in May. Giving my wife flowers on a random Tuesday in September seems more special than doing it on February 14, because on the random Tuesday in September it's motivated by nothing except my love for her. I don't know if my wife and mother see things this way, but that's my opinion.

All that said, I will be celebrating Valentine's Day with my wife. :) [huh]

Phil

A-List Customer
I just realized I forgot to state my own opinion. I'm not one to celebrate it. Being single, I am ususally cynical...well, more cynical than usual, on the 14th of Febuary. It's not that I see the holiday as bad, because I know if I have a girlfriend I will probably like the holiday more. As for cards and chocolate, I'm not a big fan of the store bought cards. They're funny and such, but I don't really feel any significance from them. As for chocolate, that's for Halloween or if I'm in Switzerland. Swiss chocolate is excellent, I could eat it all day. Anyways, getting back to the holiday, I'm not gonna say V-Day is a bad holiday, but it is, to me, a corporate holiday. Stock brokers rejoyce.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
I don't see what the big deal is, either way. To me, it's just another day to get through. It's only if people push it in my face that I become annoyed.[huh] [huh]

Chanfan

A-List Customer
Heh, I do tend to have a cynical view of Valentine's day as being a "greeting card holiday". I made the mistake of expressing this view to my wife at one point, and she reminds me of that annually.

I certainly feel taken advantage of by the price jumps for flowers and such for the holiday. I saw a comic last Sunday that had a clip-and-use V-day card: "Roses are Red, I think you're nice, Your gift's coming on the 15th, When every thing's half-price!"

Be that as it may, my wife has been feeling a bit down at work, and keeps comparing herself unfavorably to the younger ladies that work there. So, I made sure to oder a nice bouquet to be delivered, so she wouldn't feel left out. The florists win via emotional blackmail! (Not that she doesn't deserve flowers otherwise, mind you…)

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Orgetorix said:
Me: "Sweetheart, instead of getting you flowers for Valentine's Day this year, I decided to look out for your future and give you a cleaner environment, instead."

Wife: *WHACK*

Funny thing is, my wife would kiss me for that. For Christmas, I gave a micro loan in her name to a poor family in Ecuador that wanted to start a restaurant in their village. Veronica told me it was the best gift I'd ever given her. :) (And the Ecuadorian family is already paying back the loan, Lord bless 'em.)

Phil

A-List Customer
Chanfan said:
I certainly feel taken advantage of by the price jumps for flowers and such for the holiday. I saw a comic last Sunday that had a clip-and-use V-day card: "Roses are Red, I think you're nice, Your gift's coming on the 15th, When every thing's half-price!"

070211rtl.jpg

czack

One of the Regulars
Yea

Spitfire said:
Like Mothers Day and Fathers Day Valentine Day is a sad excuse for people who are unable to show love and affection to their loved ones the rest of the year!!!

Plus a grand marketing event.
My sentiments exactly. To bring it home I will now quote the J. Geils Band: "Love Stinks."

Kim_B

Practically Family
Valentine's Day - like all holidays - are only what you make them out to be. In school I hated it because I was always the one with the least amount of cards from classmates. In that respect I think it's a lousy holiday and gives kids self-esteem issues. In high school it only got worse because then people would spend even more and send flowers and balloons to school. They finally did away with that because it caused too many distractions.

As an adult, though, I've learned that whatever you put into it is what you'll get out of it - much like a relationship. So, I either bake cookies or cupcakes and make hand-made valentines my family and close friends and just enjoy the mushiness of the day. And I'd be a liar if I said I wouldn't be disappointed if I didn't get flowers at work...as goofy as that sounds :rolleyes:

Novella

Practically Family
Valentine's Day: A holiday that people make too big a deal of - both those in a relationship and those single. I tend to sound a bit cynical about it, but I'm really a romantic deep down inside. The romantic in me has just been rusted by lack of use.

czack

One of the Regulars
Back to origins

Dare I remind everyone it's actually St. Valentine's Day and St. Valentine was a bishop martyred in the 3rd or 4th century.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe