Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Used "vintage" Peacoat.

Looking for a vintage US navy peacoat.
Trying eBay, on line shops.
Often find myself having to sift thru many, many modern peacoats.
Suggestions for best search parameters? Any other leads?
Don't live anywhere near an Army/Navy surplus store. :(

(Seems like I'm a bit of a difficult fit. Size 44R)

Peacoat

Bartender
44 can be a bit difficult to find, but from the PM you sent me, you are on the right track. Check out the sizing post I made recently--maybe 4 or 5 days ago--to give you and idea of what to look for.

HosManHatter

One of the Regulars
You just can`t beat a genuine USN peacoat for durability,warmth and (of course) that classic look. Rare as hen`s teeth to find surplus peacoats that will fit us larger folk it seems. :(

Have you ever come across a surplus USAF greatcoat? These were basically just a knee-length peacoat with a few variations. In the 1980`s I inherited one from a relative and loved that darn coat! I`ve never seen another one since then(neither for sale nor worn by someone).

Just an FYI.
HMH

cptjeff said:
If you're having trouble finding one in your size, check out sterlingwear. They made the vintage ones, and you can order new ones that are essentially the same thing.

http://www.sterlingwear.com/cart/index.php?p=catalog&parent=1&pg=1

Thanks.
I've already checked out Sterlingwear.

Looking specifically for pea coats prior to 1979...when they stopped using Kersey wool and switched to Melton.

CC-1

Familiar Face
Don't worry. Your problem is one of timing. I have been watching ebay too and noticed a sudden drop off of listings- all sizes. It's spring and people are not thinking about coats. Those listing know they won't get a good price.
Nobody is digging around their closets for winter wear. Check back in August/Sept but keep your eye out for the flyer that just might pop up out of season! As said before, Vintage Threads is about the only forum that would maintain some traffic.

Peacoat

Bartender
Jeff M said:
Thanks.
Looking specifically for pea coats prior to 1979...when they stopped using Kersey wool and switched to Melton.

Actually 1979 and before fit the bill. If you look for peacoats only prior to 1979, you are eliminating one year from the possibilities. But I think you know that, and it was a miscommunication between the brain and the fingers.

Peacoat

Bartender
Yes, it does look good. The seller says the 23" across the chest makes it a 46. Obviously she hasn't read my recent post on determining size of the coat based on the chest measurement. A 23" pit to pit measurement makes a perfect 44, as the tag on this peacoat states. I guess I need to add a section on sizing in the Peacoat Dating thread.

You need to remove the link to the live Ebay auction before you get yelled at by one of the moderators.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe