Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unpopular music opinions

rue

Wow, I don't read the thread in a couple days and miss a lot!

Yes, goats. Ever see the episode of South Park where they mistake a goat for Stevie?

Worst solo effort: Edge of Seventeen...just cannot get past the vibrato!

Yes, I used to watch them all the time. I have the first two seasons on VHS and I don't have a VHS machine anymore :rolleyes:

This Song?:

[video=youtube;LcxMHhkzH_0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcxMHhkzH_0[/video]

I kinda like that song actually, but it's never been a favorite. I prefer Fleetwood Mac Stevie of the 70s. I guess her voice doesn't bother me, because I like gravely (is that a word?) voices. Like this:

[video=youtube;3Al9blQOhNw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Al9blQOhNw[/video]

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
[video=youtube;WIXg9KUiy00]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIXg9KUiy00[/video] My favorite Frank Sinatra song. I think Sid Vicious does a pretty good impression.......minus the bad rug.

This sequence is one of two high points in an otherwise rather messy and weak film. Malcolm Maclaren's original plan was to have Vicious wander the Jewish quarter of Paris, dressed in an Algemeine SS uniform and singing Je ne regrette rien. Although wholly consistent with Maclaren's penchant for the provocative, this idea was rapidly dropped and replaced with the My Way sequence. The idea was to have Vicious sing the entire song as a parody of Sinatra (a la the opening verse here), but when he initially refused to comply, citing a pronounced dislike of the song, he was promised that if he would agree to perform it he could finish it off in the style of his beloved Ramones. And so a legendary performance was born. Paul Anka is on record as having cited Vicious' rendition as the one which most fully realises the spirit of the song. Those with both a sensitive disposition and an ear for the Cockney accent may wish to avoid listening to this, as the lyrics are somewhat reworked and rather fruitier than those Frank performed.

On the matter of the Sex Pistols - by which I mean the real Sex Pistols, with Glen Matlock on bass, when they were still a band rather than a circus act - one of my own less popular musical opinions is that Never Mind The Bollocks, here's the Sex Pistols is the most important British album of the twentieth century.

Never like the Bettles to happy go lucky for me. I believe they are way overated.

I sort of expected the Beatles to emerge as major hate figures round here, though I'm somewhat surprised that they keep getting dragged up over and over. I find them overrated too, though the irrational haters are every bit as tedious as the blinkered fanboys.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Along with the excellent musicianship in the band itself, Kyser had one of the most well-rounded ensembles of vocalists in the dance-band business -- Harry Babbitt was an exceptionally good tenor, Ginny Simms is very underrated as a gal singer, and the two of them excelled on duets. Sully Mason was quite good on the rhythm numbers, and even Ish Kabibble had his moments, although he was a far better trumpeter than he was a vocalist. Whatever type of number they were trying to do, they were able to make it entertaining, and came across like they were having a whole lot of fun in the bargain.

Contrast this with the Horace Heidt band -- which wasn't a *bad* band, for a show band, but it never had the personality or that sense of fun that was key to the success of the Kyser organization. And Sammy Kaye's boys always sounded like a bunch of clock-punchers who were just waiting for a chance to kill their boss.

LordBest

Practically Family
I loathe Elvis. I really can't emphasise just how much I can not stand everything about his music. To his credit, he invented some nifty sandwiches. Probably should have stuck with that in my opinion.

Oh, and Johann Sebastian Bach is better than Mozart.

Last edited:

martinsantos

Practically Family
Never listened Heidt band (time to make a youtube search!), but Sammy Kaye I know. And I agree with you, he had the more tense sweet music I ever listened. Not a pleasure to listen. From what I have here in LPs the only "good" record is "Daddy" - but this could have a better version that I surelly believe exists.

Contrast this with the Horace Heidt band -- which wasn't a *bad* band, for a show band, but it never had the personality or that sense of fun that was key to the success of the Kyser organization. And Sammy Kaye's boys always sounded like a bunch of clock-punchers who were just waiting for a chance to kill their boss.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I loathe Elvis. I really can't emphasise just how much I can not stand everything about his music. To his credit, he invented some nifty sandwiches. Probably should have stuck with that in my opinion.

Oh, and Johann Sebastian Bach is better than Mozart.

:eeek: /Best bet Best:

1. Fix yourself a fried banana-peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat
2. Grab a Dr Pepper; slightly chilled
3. Next, put on Mozart's Violin Concerto No. 4 in D
(III. Rondo-Andante grazioso)

4. Then play some Elvis (King Creole suggested)
5. Wrap it all with another Mozart selection:
Eine kleine Nachtmusik (III.Menuetto:Allegretto)
6. and, last but not least, recall to mind Hopkins' poem,
The Habit of Perfection:

Elected Silence, sing to me
And beat upon my whorled ear,
Pipe me to pastures still and be
The music that I care to hear.

Yes, Best, a man can correct the error of Elvis and Mozart misperception. :D

Last edited:

Chas

One Too Many
Ah, so I'm not the only one who loathes Elvis and the Beatles.

Add to my list of the loathsome:

The Rolling Stones
All the 1980's hair bands (GnR, Poison, etc.)
Michael Jackson (brrr....)

But for my all-time most loathsome, disliked and for all-around tin-foil biting annoyance I would have to go with Sinatra. If I was a cat, I'd use his hat for my litterbox.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld