Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unpopular music opinions

RadioWave

One of the Regulars
I prefer the Ink Spots to the Mills Brothers. That's just me though. I've got a few of those too.
I'll save the Mills Brothers for now as they have sentimental value but I'll listen to Rock n' Roll Rag.:p

Both groups had great bass singers that really added depth to the harmonies.

Both groups had great bass singers that really added depth to the harmonies.

Definitely. However, the Ink Spots were pioneers in many ways. They were the first group to actually do a music video. It was on one of the first television shows broadcast. They scooted around jumped throught he air and their instruments flew through the air and they never missed a beat. Unfortunately not one copy of this exists.[huh]:eusa_doh::eek:
They are probably the most long lived group as well. There is still a group playing somewhere in the US under the name of the Ink Spots. None of the original band members are on it(I think they are all gone now anyway) but they still play.:D

I adore the Ink Spots, but both have talent in my eyes.
Ahhhh.... so you are a sentimental kinda guy. Don't worry I won't tell shhhhhhhh ;)

No I am not! They are funny as heck. Listen to Your Feets too Big, Pork Chops and Gravy and Mama Don't Allow It. They are hilarious. Its like the Three Stooges being able to sing.:p;)
[video=youtube;XkflvtL7J4Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkflvtL7J4Q[/video]

RadioWave

One of the Regulars
Definitely. However, the Ink Spots were pioneers in many ways. They were the first group to actually do a music video. It was on one of the first television shows broadcast. They scooted around jumped throught he air and their instruments flew through the air and they never missed a beat. Unfortunately not one copy of this exists.

Music video, eh? That would have been worth a look. Who knows what will turn up in the future though - like the Savvoy Recordings. This was considered 'lost' for quite awhile as well:

[video=youtube;mZ5eGEest0g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ5eGEest0g[/video]

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I love the Clash! Social D isn't bad either :D

Oh and as a feeble attempt to redeem myself, I agree that Springsteen and Dylan suck. Rush too. You know I'm glad that Geddy Lee can sing, after all I like to sing too, but he has such a horrible voice that he really shouldn't. At least not where other people can hear and be offended.

Sure Geddy Lee has a heinous voice,...but the music is great! And played live by just the three of them, it's even more great. :D
Just imagine the music with a better singer,...like maybe David Bowie or somebody,...I dunno.

HepKitty

One Too Many
Sure Geddy Lee has a heinous voice,...but the music is great! And played live by just the three of them, it's even more great. :D
Just imagine the music with a better singer,...like maybe David Bowie or somebody,...I dunno.

I never said he wasn't talented. I just said his voice sucks :D

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Lennon and McCartney.

[video=youtube;DFMVdnoBHCI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFMVdnoBHCI[/video]

^
^
^
That's one of the most beautiful songs of their early period.

I for one am not going make fun or disrespect music or musicians of any time ...

so I'm out of here.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
2 comments: First, I think every performer worth his or her salt understands that it's any audience member's prerogative to hate them. If your feelings get hurt by being booed off the stage (not that this usually happens, but it can) then you're in the wrong business.
Second, I KNEW some favorable opinions would sneak into the discussion. ;)
Anyhow, the Beatles clip is cool because it shows them just cranking out a pretty mediocre performance, testament to how exhausted they must have been from continual performing at that point. The Parker, Coleman, et al is sheer hypnotic magic.

2 comments: First, I think every performer worth his or her salt understands that it's any audience member's prerogative to hate them. If your feelings get hurt by being booed off the stage (not that this usually happens, but it can) then you're in the wrong business.
Second, I KNEW some favorable opinions would sneak into the discussion. ;)
Anyhow, the Beatles clip is cool because it shows them just cranking out a pretty mediocre performance, testament to how exhausted they must have been from continual performing at that point. The Parker, Coleman, et al is sheer hypnotic magic.

Good points---except the mediocre part.:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82