Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unpopular music opinions

John Lennon's station wagon was up for sale. He had an old Chrysler Town and Country, wanna say it was a 69-71. He used it for going to detox and what-not while keeping a low profile. The thread got a bit out of hand.

WTH can you gt in trouble at a station wagon forum for Beatles bashing? I mean, the Beatles and station wagons don't mix.

I like your style, if you got in my truck right now and clicked on my iPod, it's tuned to "Somethin' Stupid" Gotta love ol' Blue Eyes.

This guy at work got offended yesterday because I was knocking the Beatles. So I had to turn the Sinatra CD I had in the radio in the car to rub salt in the wound.

martinsantos

Practically Family
Hei, I like polkas too!

Here they were VERY popular around 1880-1910 - more than waltz, I think. But usually as piano music.

Every day, I go to break at work at 5 O'Clock, so I can catch the Barn Show with Uncle Bill on 95.3 WXRO from Beaver Dam. It's very focused on the farming area around Columbus, where I grew up. The polkas are great and they're always talkin' about folks I know from the area, making me nostalgiac.

Every Sunday morning, 104.9 out of Wisconsin Dells has the polkas on, and 'Flashback Country' in the evenings. Gotta love it!

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Unpopular outside the German/Polish Wisconsin farming communities where I live, I guess this'd be a unpopular music opinion. I LOVE POLKA!

What's not to love?

I do tend to prefer Pennsylvania style (Ignacy Podgorsky's Red Raven Orch) to New Ulm style (Six Fat Dutchmen), and even to Cleveland Style, as epitomized by Frankie Yankovic and his Yanks.

I suppost that that would qualify as an unpopular opinion, at least in my home town, as I was raised in Cleveland, and danced to the music of all of the great bands at our Sokol club in the dim dead days of my youth. Hank Haller, Johnny Pecon, Jerry Mazenec, Yankovic, Johnny Vadnal, Walt Ostanek, and so many others whose names now escape me.

Of a sunday after noon, I'd anlxiously await the end of the Gene Carrol show, a local amatuer hour hosted by the "Gene" of "Gene and Glen (and Jake and Lena)" fame, for those welcome words from our own Paul Wilcox:
"From Americas Polka Capital of Cleveland Ohio, this is Polka Varieties!"

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Some years ago I came across airchecks of a tiny local station in Williamsburg, Brooklyn from 1936 -- where one of the feature attractions was a polka band led by one Anthony Witkowski, stars of "The Polish-American Hour." The idea of a live polka band on the air in 1930s Brooklyn might clash with a lot of latter-day ideas about Eastern urban tastes then, but there were plenty of ethnic enclaves where you'd come across such.

Witkowski billed himself modestly as "the king of Polish-American dance music," but having listened to the broadcasts, I think he was exaggerating just a bit.

Here in New England, there is no pile of thrift-store 78s that won't include at least a few Frankie Yankovic records. He was *very* popular in the postwar era.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
No, Brian Setzer isn't psychobilly to me. Which lead me to another unpopular opinion:

I love the neo-swing revival of 1998 and that is what got me into vintage in the first place!! It's got some meaning in this gal's life :D

I think that's it for me. Music has to mean something to me -- doesn't matter how "bad" it is. If it reminds me of a good time (or even a bad time!) it has a lot a value to me. Music will take me back to that time and invoke the same feelings I had at that time. That's why I love it ALL -- good or bad!

But I'm also a huge music nerd and have to have complete discographies and know the exact year stuff came out...etc. Dork. lol

Last edited:

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I'm working on Al Bowlly right now. And I'm researching when all his songs came out so I can meticulously label them properly in my iPod. I'm not lying lol I want to to The Boswell Sisters next.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
All the best people own discographies. When it really gets out of control is when you read them in the bathroom.

Speaking of discographies, has the Victor 16000 series discograpy been completed? Years ago I sent many pages of information off to a fellow who was working on that immense project.
I've since forgotten his name, and have not yet heard of thework's completion.

By the way, Miss Maine, have you had a chance to peruse Charlie Gregory's most recent Diamond Disc tome? I had a chance to look over the galleys last year, and must say that it isareal pippin! The the many detailed Edison artist biogrpahies and photographs are impressive indeed.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Some years ago I came across airchecks of a tiny local station in Williamsburg, Brooklyn from 1936 -- where one of the feature attractions was a polka band led by one Anthony Witkowski, stars of "The Polish-American Hour." The idea of a live polka band on the air in 1930s Brooklyn might clash with a lot of latter-day ideas about Eastern urban tastes then, but there were plenty of ethnic enclaves where you'd come across such.

Witkowski billed himself modestly as "the king of Polish-American dance music," but having listened to the broadcasts, I think he was exaggerating just a bit.

Here in New England, there is no pile of thrift-store 78s that won't include at least a few Frankie Yankovic records. He was *very* popular in the postwar era.

I seem to recall a few unimpressive recordings by Witkowski on Don Gabor's STANDARD label.

Ignatz Podgorsky was amuch more interesting musician.

Then, of course, there was always my favorite, Pawel Humminieuk, a Rus who played Hu.zul and Ruthenian village melodies.

I had Frankie on in my truck today, gotta love his stuff. I can't decide whether or not I like "Just Because" or "Who Stole the Kishka?" more lol.

What's not to love?

I do tend to prefer Pennsylvania style (Ignacy Podgorsky's Red Raven Orch) to New Ulm style (Six Fat Dutchmen), and even to Cleveland Style, as epitomized by Frankie Yankovic and his Yanks.

I suppost that that would qualify as an unpopular opinion, at least in my home town, as I was raised in Cleveland, and danced to the music of all of the great bands at our Sokol club in the dim dead days of my youth. Hank Haller, Johnny Pecon, Jerry Mazenec, Yankovic, Johnny Vadnal, Walt Ostanek, and so many others whose names now escape me.

Of a sunday after noon, I'd anlxiously await the end of the Gene Carrol show, a local amatuer hour hosted by the "Gene" of "Gene and Glen (and Jake and Lena)" fame, for those welcome words from our own Paul Wilcox:
"From Americas Polka Capital of Cleveland Ohio, this is Polka Varieties!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld