Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unpopular music opinions

MissMittens

One Too Many
Madonna never had much of a voice though, she was all image. Another one is Katy Perry. She's God awful without autotune...only that GaGa is worse than her. Speaking of which, Lady GaGa is proof that good makeup can completely change someone's appearance. She looks fairly attractive with makeup...........

ladygaga.jpg

Horrendous without.......

article-0-0546671E000005DC-224_468x829.jpg

Berlin

Practically Family
I can listen only one song of Aguilera. She is a kind of Mariah Carey version. Alot of shouting. Hurts my ears.
But she has style, for sure!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Actually I saw Gaga on TV live during some kind of event - maybe Thanksgiving outside NBC studios? Anyway, she played the piano and sang a torch song. No effects. She is a very nice alto. Nothing like her ridiculous pop hits such as Pokerface and Bad Romance nonsense.

MissMittens

One Too Many
I can listen only one song of Aguilera. She is a kind of Mariah Carey version. Alot of shouting. Hurts my ears.
But she has style, for sure!

I know what you mean......the "modulating" that seemed to become de rigeur after Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston.........just random noises with lots of undulating vibrato
for the sake of it.

She has style and hair with flair for sure though. I just checked your link at the bottom of your post.....you have a great flair for hair too. Also read you weren't feeling well, so I hope you're feeling better now.

RadioWave

One of the Regulars
Agree with you on "boybands", same with bands like Pussycat Dolls, Spice Girls, etc. Complete waste of autotune, lol.

That's another pet peeve of mine......."singers" using autotune. To prove a point, two guys infamously processed news reports with merely talking, through Antares Autotune, and made them sound like songs. One, of course, was the comedic masterpiece known as Antoine Dodson.

This was indeed a masterpiece (still is) - he ended up getting so popular because of this that him and his family where moved out of the 'projects' and into California.

As far as the modern trademark R&B 'autotune sound', would you ever have imagined that Kay Kyser did it first?...

[video=youtube;kH-krlgo2e8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH-krlgo2e8[/video]

That video linked this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blhqeWpwwkA&feature=related which does a pretty good job of illustrating how it was done back then.

MissMittens

One Too Many
Actually I saw Gaga on TV live during some kind of event - maybe Thanksgiving outside NBC studios? Anyway, she played the piano and sang a torch song. No effects. She is a very nice alto. Nothing like her ridiculous pop hits such as Pokerface and Bad Romance nonsense.

I'm actually surprised...........it amazes me that people seem to like (they must do, since there's so much of it and it's all selling) the synthetic sound of autotune. I admit to having used it once or twice to correct a bad note, but not using it as a vocal processor with compression like most of these people. It also makes a great guitar effect, but I don't think it should be used as a primary way to record vocals.

Berlin

Practically Family
I know what you mean......the "modulating" that seemed to become de rigeur after Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston.........just random noises with lots of undulating vibrato
for the sake of it.

She has style and hair with flair for sure though. I just checked your link at the bottom of your post.....you have a great flair for hair too. Also read you weren't feeling well, so I hope you're feeling better now.

Aww thank you very much! That really made my day :eek:

MissMittens

One Too Many
As far as the modern trademark R&B 'autotune sound', would you ever have imagined that Kay Kyser did it first?...

I've only recently discovered Kay Kyser and the Kollege of Musical Knowledge, after finding a request for the song Hello Mr Kringle. I located it, added it to the Christmas radio stream and found out a lot about Kyser. He seemed to have pushed a lot of musical boundaries and played with composition in ways no one else had at that time

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I'm actually surprised...........it amazes me that people seem to like (they must do, since there's so much of it and it's all selling) the synthetic sound of autotune. I admit to having used it once or twice to correct a bad note, but not using it as a vocal processor with compression like most of these people. It also makes a great guitar effect, but I don't think it should be used as a primary way to record vocals.

The whole concept of the 'evolution' of 'cutting edge' music' is both fascinating and perplexing.

Going back to before my parents day, original rock and roll was looked at with horror by the previous generation, as was the 70s rock revolution with all its sub-styles, then disco, punk, alternative, rap, hip-hop, etc, etc, etc.

And then theres the cross-cultural aspect. The older one is/was, the less was the likelihood for tolerance of other styles. The rise of white rock-n-roll in the late 50s was 'blamed' by many on Black music. Lack of tolerance.

The point is I hear what kids today are listening to, what they find 'cool,' and for most of it I cringe, just as my parents did when I put on whatever I was listening to at 13-or-so years old.

Amie

One of the Regulars
Madonna never had much of a voice though, she was all image. Another one is Katy Perry. She's God awful without autotune...only that GaGa is worse than her. Speaking of which, Lady GaGa is proof that good makeup can completely change someone's appearance.

Seriously. Gaga comes out like she's gonna play music like the New York Dolls or something, but when you listen to her, she sounds like any old pop star.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe