Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unpopular music opinions

i believe that the music industry has created its own downfall and with it the music radio industry. What has happened is a stratification of all music so that a lot of genres of music are segregated by those genres. When I was a kid the AM radio stations played all sorts of rock music from bubblegum to the Stones to the Animals to Motown to oldies and so on. There was a mix of music not one genre with a couple of other sub-genre's mixed in. Today most stations in LA that are mainstream are locked into a set and in Rock (not pop) it is all classic rock with little new music being brought into rotation. Not only that but the classic rock station is self redacting, it reduces every year what was important. So a band that had 10 hits they might play 5 years ago is down to 6 hits they will play and eventually it's 2 and then one. The worst part of that is it is always reduced to the most over player songs ever. So bands like the Doors and Boston have long ago become bands I never need to hear again.

At the same time we can get lucky and find new sources for what we like as well as grow and appreciate other styles of music over time. i think that our focus in music should change over time. The question is for the kid that is 18 now and listens to only death speed metal when he is 70 years old and needs consolation from music over losing a loved one or old friend is he going to be listening only to the same music as when 18?

hopefully not...

Last edited:

MissMittens

One Too Many
......Not only that but the classic rock station is self redacting, it reduces every year what was important. So a band that had 10 hits they might play 5 years ago is down to 6 hits they will play and eventually it's 2 and then one. The worst part of that is it is always reduced to the most over player songs ever. So bands like the Doors and Boston have long ago become bands I never need to hear again.

Yes, that does seem to be what's happening throughout the States quite honestly. It's not quite the same case in Europe or Canada.
It's all about licensing........"classic" repetoire is cleaper to play because of the royalty scale. Seems ClearChannel owns the majority of radio stations in the US right about now, and each of their stations seem to follow the same cookie-cutter pattern, with the exception of one or two "test markets" :(

To answer your question about 70 yr olds in the future listening to speed metal (if they're 18 now, they're probably listening to metalcore) for consolation, I ask why not?

It's all about growth and maturity not staying the same.

By that time there probably will be other genres of music more likely to promote consolation than speed death metal.

<There is a reason for the idea of If it's too loud your too old.>

MissMittens

One Too Many
<There is a reason for the idea of If it's too loud your too old.>

That's actually my point here. By the time that person reaches 70, there will probably be music around that's far too discordant for their ears, and they'll probably listen to the music they grew up with......just as many listen to the 60's and 70's now that were kids when they grew up in the 60's and 70's. What people think of as discordant now, will be classic rock to those that listen to it today.

RadioWave

One of the Regulars
Songs you grow to hate due to ad nauseam repetition are sad cases indeed, but from the stance of the music industry, they're succeeding in continuing to promote their top-sellers. Unquestioned enjoyment doesn't always comes to us on a silver platter, regardless of what form it takes. Finding our favorite music, clothes, books, etc. (especially in this crowd) most likely took a good deal of research and effort on our part. Mainstream venues are great for making basic, generic introductions... From there, we're able to take what we liked (if we liked it) and pursue it further.

I think I started writing this with the intention of making a point. I'm not sure if I succeeded. I'm really tired.

Songs you grow to hate due to ad nauseam repetition are sad cases indeed, but from the stance of the music industry, they're succeeding in continuing to promote their top-sellers. Unquestioned enjoyment doesn't always comes to us on a silver platter, regardless of what form it takes. Finding our favorite music, clothes, books, etc. (especially in this crowd) most likely took a good deal of research and effort on our part. Mainstream venues are great for making basic, generic introductions... From there, we're able to take what we liked (if we liked it) and pursue it further. I think I started writing this with the intention of making a point. I'm not sure if I succeeded. I'm really tired.

That is actually a great point similar to my concept that you need to move on, learn and grow. If I were to give a breakdown as to music knowledge with the concept of learning more and pursuit of that growth. In my last position the people that I was surrounded with were listening to the same blather they were listening 10 years ago in high school. they hang on every word about their pop culture icons. While they are good a searching for places to get free music on line they choose the crappiest music out there (in my opinion.)

they have no knowledge of anything else. A question came about about what the origin of something to do with WWII came up and not one of them knew the real answer.

Now i am wandering off the point.

Anyway for me i will by chance hear something i like and then try to pursue that to learn more. A lot of people have the blinders on and can't listen to anything BUT what they listen to now and since they were kids. No growth , no learning, no maturity.

That is actually a great point similar to my concept that you need to move on, learn and grow. If I were to give a breakdown as to music knowledge with the concept of learning more and pursuit of that growth. In my last position the people that I was surrounded with were listening to the same blather they were listening 10 years ago in high school. they hang on every word about their pop culture icons. While they are good a searching for places to get free music on line they choose the crappiest music out there (in my opinion.)

they have no knowledge of anything else. A question came about about what the origin of something to do with WWII came up and not one of them knew the real answer.

Now i am wandering off the point.

Anyway for me i will by chance hear something i like and then try to pursue that to learn more. A lot of people have the blinders on and can't listen to anything BUT what they listen to now and since they were kids. No growth , no learning, no maturity.

What about people who don't listen to what they listened to growing up but listen to what their parents did growing up because they finally figured out it was better?:p

What about people who don't listen to what they listened to growing up but listen to what their parents did growing up because they finally figured out it was better?:p

Well there is truth to that. I have a number of CD's that are the music my parent s listened to and a fair amount of music inspired by what they listened to when I was young. Enoch light, Latin Jazz, classical, opera, show tunes and some swing music. Spanish guitar and Yogi Yorgesson (I Yust Go Nuts at Christmas!)

I have plenty of rock but that is roughly two drawers of CD's versus three plus of all of the "Other Music" I have.

Well there is truth to that. I have a number of CD's that are the music my parent s listened to and a fair amount of music inspired by what they listened to when I was young. Enoch light, Latin Jazz, classical, opera, show tunes and some swing music. Spanish guitar and Yogi Yorgesson (I Yust Go Nuts at Christmas!)

I have plenty of rock but that is roughly two drawers of CD's versus three plus of all of the "Other Music" I have.

I have a whole jukebox filled with some of my father's 50s stuff from Roger Miller to Johnny Cash. Get Rhythm man.:D
[video=youtube;Roug4qG7qCY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Roug4qG7qCY[/video]
The sounds quality is bad but you get the idea.

Last edited:

RadioWave

One of the Regulars
That is actually a great point similar to my concept that you need to move on, learn and grow. A lot of people have the blinders on...

Yeah, your post was the inspiration for mine. I've been in a bit of a musical rut lately, but the "What are you listening to?" thread has done quite a bit to open my ears again. I've been picking up a lot of great facts, too.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82