Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Type 3/Trucker style - Thoughts?

GregO

One of the Regulars
I've been interested in a Type 3 trucker style jacket from Aero for a while now, but just haven't pulled the trigger because I didn't really see a leather that called out to me for use in that jacket. Well, I just placed an order last night for a new Board Racer (seal horse), and in connection with that order, I got a bunch of hide samples. One of those samples was of Aero's battered tan FQHH. I think the battered tan would make a killer trucker jacket. Here's the style of jacket:

Aero%20Type%203%20goatskin.jpg

Here's a shot from Aero's site of an August in the battered tan:

710534bb97227b6a_August%20front%20close-500.jpg

Thoughts? I see so few of this style jacket in leather, I'm hesitant to pull the trigger. And I've never seen battered tan on a full jacket in person. But I do think it would be cool. And unique.

What say you, TFL'ers?

IXL

One Too Many
I was looking at this same jacket on the Aero site just the other night. The wife looked at the jacket and thinks I'm trying to re-live my teenage years........I informed her that I'm just trying to be the trucker I never was.
The battered tan should look very good, I'm undecided on something like that, or basic black. What color stitching are you considering? Also, are you going with buttons, or snaps?

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Great idea. I really like that design, not sure re the length. I've been secretly keen on it for some time. I saw a great vanson one in a really nice brown on ebay last week. If it was my size, I would have bought it.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Battered tan's a really nice and interesting leather. It takes on a lot of character quickly. I liked the Trucker, but it just didn't suit me, don't why because fitted perfectly.

trapp

Practically Family
Myself, I've never been a fan of leather truckers. Just looks off to me.

That said, the battered tan pictured above could make any pattern look good.

GregO

One of the Regulars
What color stitching are you considering? Also, are you going with buttons, or snaps?

I would probably just go with brown or light brown stitching, as I think the leather has so much color variation going on that throwing in contrast stitching would be too much/too busy. And I would do buttons, not snaps.

D

Deleted member 16736

What I don't like about the Aero trucker jacket, and what has kept me from ordering one, are the twin-V inserts. If you look at the real Levi's trucker jacket (or any clone), you'll see the twin-V insert going all the way to the yoke. In Aero's version, they stop at the pocket. I think the Levi's version is a bit trickier to duplicate and looks a lot classier, in my opinion. Maybe ask them if they'll do it properly for you.

GregO

One of the Regulars
What I don't like about the Aero trucker jacket, and what has kept me from ordering one, are the twin-V inserts. If you look at the real Levi's trucker jacket (or any clone), you'll see the twin-V insert going all the way to the yoke. In Aero's version, they stop at the pocket. I think the Levi's version is a bit trickier to duplicate and looks a lot classier, in my opinion. Maybe ask them if they'll do it properly for you.

That would result in a third layer of leather over the pocket. That might be an issue with FQHH. But I see what you're saying. In all honesty, I'm not a stickler for historical details in outerwear like I know some folks are, so the V inserts stopping at the pocket isn't a huge deal to me. I think it looks good both ways.

GregO

One of the Regulars
Denim and suede are obviously the traditional choices, but one man's "weird" is another man's "unique"!

I'm thinking red cotton sateen lining...

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There was a tan Windward some time ago on the Aero "Used" page. I think it was an older jacket and pretty beaten up, but there was something really uniquely attractive about it. It evoked a kind of nostalgia, like an old baseball glove.

IXL

One Too Many
Come to think of it, I had a suede truckers jacket in dark brown when I was a teenager: wonder what ever happened to it.

yakima

One of the Regulars
Here's a jacket a good friend of mine had made by Aero last year.

Based on a Lee 101J, and made from split cowhide from an old LVC contract...

j1p9.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe