Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Twilight

anabolina

A-List Customer
Did anyone else go to the midnight showing? I really enjoyed it despite not having read the books. I went to be with my family who love the books and ended up really entertained. It was so much better than the last midnight showing I saw. Was that Transformers? Hmmm, or the latest Harry Potter. Well anyway, I ws definitely more entertained by this one. HP seems more about the spectacle than the story and I walked out on Transformers due to the stereotypical portrayl of the govt and un-endearing characters.

I like how Twilight doesn't seem to be the typical vampire story with all its perversions, sex, and drama. There's some drama, but there sweetness and light moments too.

So is anyone else going to see it?

Josephine

One Too Many
anabolina said:
Did anyone else go to the midnight showing?

I like how Twilight doesn't seem to be the typical vampire story with all its perversions, sex, and drama. There's some drama, but there sweetness and light moments too.

My 12 yr old is going to see it. I've let her read the series; I can't really ban it just because it's poorly written. Though we are talking about how Edward has controlling tendencies (in future books) with forbidding her to see Jacob, etc.

However I have to disagree with the perversions/sex/drama; having your back broken and insides ripped apart giving birth to your half human, half vampire baby and then your husband having to turn you to save your life? o_O

I have seen some amusing web comic type cartoons about Twilight, both from those who love it and those who don't. If you'd like a good laugh either way, try these out:

MS Paint LOLZ "Trailer 1"

MS Paint LOLZ "Trailer 2"

Head Trip web comic 1

Head Trip web comic 2

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I haven't seen Twilight yet, and I haven't read the books. However, I've heard lots of raves about the series from friends of mine. I may have to go see it just to see what the story is all about. Also, if you say its better than Harry Potter, that's pretty impressive. Course, I think the movies have gone downhill as the series progressed; the HP books just have so much more detail than can be worked into a two and a half hour movie.

anabolina said:
Did anyone else go to the midnight showing? I really enjoyed it despite not having read the books. I went to be with my family who love the books and ended up really entertained. It was so much better than the last midnight showing I saw. Was that Transformers? Hmmm, or the latest Harry Potter. Well anyway, I ws definitely more entertained by this one. HP seems more about the spectacle than the story and I walked out on Transformers due to the stereotypical portrayl of the govt and un-endearing characters.

Josephine

One Too Many
ScionPI2005 said:
I haven't seen Twilight yet, and I haven't read the books. However, I've heard lots of raves about the series from friends of mine. I may have to go see it just to see what the story is all about. Also, if you say its better than Harry Potter, that's pretty impressive.

It's been trashed left and right by book reviewers, and lauded right and left by adolescents and women of many age ranges.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I'm reading Twilight right now. Yeah, I think Edward's a controlling jerk. He keeps saying "I shouldn't be with you. You shouldn't be with me." Well then, go your separate ways. Their relationship reminds me of that silly book "The Rules." His big attraction to Bella? She smells good. Yay, risking it all because you like somebody's shampoo.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
The Wall Street Journal has this to say in today's paper:

Attention, all 13-year-old female readers of this newspaper: Run, do not walk, to the nearest multiplex playing "Twilight," the screen version of Stephenie Meyer's best-selling potboiler about a principled vampire and the teenage girl who loves him. Others needn't run. Or walk.

The bleached-faced bloodsucker, Edward Cullen, attends high school in Forks, a singularly gloomy little town in Washington state; he's played by the young English heartthrob-in-the -making Robert Pattinson. Edward first meets his inamorata, Bella (Kristen Stewart), when she moves to Forks, where her father is police chief, from her mother's house in Phoenix, where she had managed, fatefully, to avoid getting a tan. In a film that has the courage of its absurdity but not much else, Mr. Pattinson gets the best of what passes for style. He's been fitted out with an upswept rat's-nest hairdo, along with a thin coat of clown-white makeup, and photographed with special attention to his cantilevered brows and his gift for growing a gaze into a glare or, when the occasion demands it, a leer.​

So I won't be running or walking to the movie. But I am looking forward to this release about a different principled vampire:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=27891

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
[rant]
I was "privileged" enough to read galley copies of the first two books in the series about six months before they were published. I was 16 years old, lonely, and unhappy, and sadly I bought in. I had to wait so long, however, to read the third book that I decided to go back and read the begining before picking Eclipse up. I was appalled by Meyer's writing, and a disgusted by the predictability of it all. I barely made it through Twilight a second time. I haven't read the third or fourth books, but from the reviews, summaries, and peer descriptions, I just think they are a load of tripe. When asked my opinion on the books, I once replied that they should just be "bound for mass-market paperback and sold for the $2.99 they are worth."

Yesterday was my birthday and a few mislead friends kidnapped me and held me hostage for the midnight premiere. We all left feeling let down. As low as my expectations for the film went, it actually managed to go lower. The special effects were ridiculous, the acting was atrocious, and the writing was even worse. Certainly not work the money for the ticket or the headache the next day from being up until 3 AM.

I supposed the appeal to the youngsters and the women is that the series is in actuality a terrible piece of Vampire "fan-fiction" where the author has written herself into a fantasy world and made some major bucks off of it. That's all it is now, a terribly written, vastly over-appreciated cash cow.

And as for bypassing the stereotypes of the Vampire genre? They are definitely there.

I despise Edward Cullen!
[/rant]

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The movie looks terrible and I'm sorry to hear that there are books of low quality rotting the youths brains. ;) For a good adolescent vampire book try Lost Souls. It's definitely PG-13 though. Maybe R.

Vanessa

One Too Many
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
The movie looks terrible and I'm sorry to hear that there are books of low quality rotting the youths brains. ;) For a good adolescent vampire book try Lost Souls. It's definitely PG-13 though. Maybe R.

Definitely R. ;)

59Lark

Practically Family
my 15 daughter has read the books.

I did a overview and read some of it and the writing was bad, when I was that age, I read Lord of the Rings. This poop doesnt come close to tolkien, now entertainment being what it is for kids, has our standards in north america drooped that low. My daughter read the witch in the wardrobe, when she was 10, its amazing what hollywood will make into a movie, today. The pickenings must be really slim, vincent price would have starred in a movie like this, lets all try to make our youth read a little better. When I was her age and I wanted to read horror, the author that I read was H P LOVECRAFT. 59Lark:eek:fftopic:

Spiffy

A-List Customer
A small part of me wishes that this movie contains flashbacks of Edward swanning around the past, in various bad wigs, Angelus-style.

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
Spiffy said:
A small part of me wishes that this movie contains flashbacks of Edward swanning around the past, in various bad wigs, Angelus-style.

Come now, Love, no one can EVER do as terrible an Irish accent as David Boreanez did, and if the accent isn't there, what good are the wigs?

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Oh dear, my wife is viewing this picture right now, I feel bad for her. She has liked the books though.

Personally, I don't know that I care for this back-breaking-ripping-out-through-the-chest stuff. Ergh.

-Dave

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe