Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Try, try again ...

At the heart of this hat is a granite all-beaver body that was among the first "from scratch" (as opposed to a refurbish job) hats I made. I never was happy with it, though, even after taking it apart a couple times (if memory serves) to try to get it more "right" than it was. So it just kind of hung around here, daring me to do something about it, which I did.

Stripped it down, chucked the sweatband and the ribbon, reblocked it, lured it, sewed in a new sweat, bound the edge with a 9-ligne ribbon in a color called Blue Jay, and put on a new band and bow in 22-ligne Blue Slate. Now it's a decent looking lid, I think.

Whatever one's assessment of the quality of the all-beaver bodies being made these days, in comparison to what was produced 60 and 70 and 80 years ago, there's little denying they can be worked and reworked and reworked again and still come through it good as new. Better even, it could be reasonably argued, seeing how the hat may well be less likely to taper once it has some age on it, and that with each subsequent reworking the finish can, in some cases, be further refined.

IMGP1770.jpg

IMGP1771.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
Practice does make perfect and it shows in the work you have been doing. :eusa_clap

About the color of the brim binding. Does it have some blue to it? It is kind of hard to see on the hat.
I really like the idea of a granite or pecan colored hat with a blue-grey-slightly silver-ish binding and hatband.

Feraud said:
Practice does make perfect and it shows in the work you have been doing. :eusa_clap

About the color of the brim binding. Does it have some blue to it? It is kind of hard to see on the hat.
I really like the idea of a granite or pecan colored hat with a blue-grey-slightly silver-ish binding and hatband.

That binding does indeed have a bluish cast. Just how blue varies quite noticeably from light condition to light condition. Indoors, at night, under incandescent light, it looks gray. Outdoors in bright daylight it's undoubtedly blue. It doesn't usually look quite so purple as it does in the second photo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe