Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trip to Egypt in April 2008 - Felt or straw?

kokopelli

One of the Regulars
Stampede string

Pick-up a stampede string (strap) from a western shop. You can usually work the little cotter pins in to the sweat band. Ron

http://www.chicksaddlery.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?screen=PROD&Product_Code=HH1200

Flieger said:
Another vote for the felt. Man, I should have made this topic into a poll. :)

Thanks for sharing that photo, Havana. Love your "travel style"! :eusa_clap Since I don't have any hat with neck- or chin-strap... do you have any suggestions?

Cheers
/F

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
opportunity to buy

In all reality you can get away with just a felt hat. But travel is the best opportunity to justify buying a new hat. So if you want a panama, go for it. Just keep in mind the sooner you order the better. The supply from Ecuador is not consistent. I have bought from both Panama Bob http://www.panamas.biz/ and Panamahatsdirect http://panamahatsdirect.com/ and both had delays. If you want sun protection you need the Monticristi weave hats as well. As for chin straps I would agree with rljsrubicon you can put that kind in any hat with a sweatband.
Hope that helps
Johnny

mike

Call Me a Cab
I can't believe how many people here have been to Egypt! I've always wanted to go but had the understanding that the world climate would make traveling to the middle east for a westerner very questionable now. I've also wanted very badly to visit ancient Sumerian and Bablyonian cities and Baalbek in Lebanon but I think these ideas really won't work out. Baalbek is right now the home base for a hezbollah training camp and iraq, well you know... :mad:
If you don't mind me asking, what was the response of Egyptians to yo guys when traveling there? Anyone have a bad date slipped to them?! :p

GwenLake

One of the Regulars
mike said:
If you don't mind me asking, what was the response of Egyptians to yo guys when traveling there? Anyone have a bad date slipped to them?! :p
The Egyptians I met seemed to like us Americans. Of course, they can't really afford to not like anybody; their main income is tourism.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
And Egypt is -hyper- vigilant about protecting touristy areas....at least in Sinai they are...not sure about elsewhere other then Luxor.

Even on known -tour- buses...we stopped at checkpoints and they recorded the names and numbers and time the vehicle went through....and if the vehicle with -all- its passengers does not return through the checkpoint in -reasonable- time to see whatever they went to see.....erm they call out the calvary to find you.

Someone did offer my bf 8 camels for me....but that was at one of the shops in our hotel.... ;)

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I've never been either, Mike, and have also been dying to go. Though I'd probably go with the advice of those that have been there, Fleiger, traveling with multiple hats can be a pain (unless they all roll up), and my advice would be to keep it simple. Less worry about which hat to wear means more time to spend enjoying Egypt! Just pick your favorite (or get that new Montecristo!) and have a great time! Worst case scenario is that your one hat gets trampled or something and you pick up another one locally. From then on you can say, "This hat? Oh, I picked it up the last time I was in Cairo."

Slightly off topic, how well do those stampede strings stay put? Can you take the cotter pins in and out, or once they're in are they in for good?

BTW, Miss Neecerie, you're worth way more than 8 camels!

kokopelli

One of the Regulars
Pins

Normally you can attach them in a removable fashion. You just find a spot between the weave of a straw hat, a small hole in the sweat band or seam (in the band) of a beaver hat, poke it through and bend the end. It then comes out the same way. The pins are about 1" long, so when bent they stay. Ron

PS: The pins are standard cotter pins and are snipable, for ease of removal

Mojave Jack said:
I've never been either, Mike, and have also been dying to go. Though I'd probably go with the advice of those that have been there, Fleiger, traveling with multiple hats can be a pain (unless they all roll up), and my advice would be to keep it simple. Less worry about which hat to wear means more time to spend enjoying Egypt! Just pick your favorite (or get that new Montecristo!) and have a great time! Worst case scenario is that your one hat gets trampled or something and you pick up another one locally. From then on you can say, "This hat? Oh, I picked it up the last time I was in Cairo."

Slightly off topic, how well do those stampede strings stay put? Can you take the cotter pins in and out, or once they're in are they in for good?

BTW, Miss Neecerie, you're worth way more than 8 camels!

mike

Call Me a Cab
Miss Neecerie said:
And Egypt is -hyper- vigilant about protecting touristy areas....at least in Sinai they are...not sure about elsewhere other then Luxor.

Even on known -tour- buses...we stopped at checkpoints and they recorded the names and numbers and time the vehicle went through....and if the vehicle with -all- its passengers does not return through the checkpoint in -reasonable- time to see whatever they went to see.....erm they call out the calvary to find you.

Someone did offer my bf 8 camels for me....but that was at one of the shops in our hotel.... ;)

We're not talkin cigarettes, when they mean it, they mean it! lol
that's a great story! I hope one day to go but can't manage it not right now sadly. Maybe I'll be able to time it around when they finally open up the hall of records underneath the sphinx's paw! I shake my fist at Zahi for not being open to hair-brained ideas! ;)

Hey speaking which, anyone ever been to Petra?! Is it even open to the public?

cookie

I'll Lock Up
mike said:
I can't believe how many people here have been to Egypt! I've always wanted to go but had the understanding that the world climate would make traveling to the middle east for a westerner very questionable now. I've also wanted very badly to visit ancient Sumerian and Bablyonian cities and Baalbek in Lebanon but I think these ideas really won't work out. Baalbek is right now the home base for a hezbollah training camp and iraq, well you know... :mad:

Don't ever go in May! Been there - done that!

mineral

One of the Regulars
cookie said:
Don't ever go in May! Been there - done that!

I was there in June. 45 deg C. I still wonder how I managed to get through the day at the Valley of the Kings and the Temple of Hepshepshut and then the Temple of Ramses III. Everytime I got a deal to get a liter of Coca-Cola for 10 Egyptian pounds I paid without question.

Ah, good memories.

mineral

One of the Regulars
Flieger said:
We have a couple of days on our itinerary that we haven't filled yet.

Oh! In that case let me suggest you pay a visit to Alexandria. It feels like a city frozen in a different era and it's not touristy at all (unlike all the other places you will probably visit). And the cool Mediterranean breeze will be a very welcome change from the desert heat of Luxor. :)

jkingrph

Practically Family
Have not been to Egypt, but made a tour to Israel about that time of year when I was stationed in Turkey while active duty in the USAF.

The days could get rather warm, but the nights could be freezing in the higher elevations( Jerusalem) or nice in lower areas as such as Tiberas or Joppa.

If you can take both, can't go wrong that way.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Late reply:

A light felt with no liner is probably more use than a straw. Alexandria and the coastline can be more humid, but the conditions are going to be mostly dry, hot, dry dry, hot hot.

I didn't have a hat when I got to Egyot so I had a t-shirt tied to my head for most of the time. I don't recommend this at all.

Flieger

Practically Family
Thanks Jake_Fink! I wish I had a felt hat like the one you describe. I wore a unlined "Lite Felt" (wool?) on a trip to Venezuela and it was sweaty and itchy.

/F

K

Kaosharper1

Felt hat with vents?

Would a felt hat with ventilation holes, like the Akubra Cattleman be a good choice in warm weather?

Kaleponi Craig

A-List Customer
It's bloody hot!

Forget about taking both, traveling light is the first rule of travel. You must decide on which one you want to take. And how in the world are you going to pack the second hat?

About 25 years ago I was in Egypt in April. I have never been so hot in my life. I would normally say, take a straw.

But on TV there is often this Egyptian archeologist, Dr. Sarwa or something like that, who is always wearing a fur felt. Plus, Josh Bernstein of Digging for the Truth always travels in his 100% beaver fur felt in some of the hottest counties. I myself went to Palenque in southern Mexico last June, where it was hot AND humid. I wore my Indy Adventurebilt. I must say, it was bloody uncomfortable.

I would say this. A fur felt will be a lot more durable. If you are going on an adventure trip, climbing pyramids, digging around through tombs and temples, really getting yourself dirty, then take a fur felt. If you are hanging out at the hotel, sipping martinis, or sitting on the deck of a boat sailing the Nile, then take a straw. It just depends on what kind of a trip you are taking.

I'm going to Bali next month and I am taking my Panama. But it is hot AND humid there, so forget a fur felt. But Egypt is a dry heat, so not so bad.

One last thing. I think, in Egypt especially, a fur felt will look a lot cooler. You will look like an adventurer, like Indiana Jones or Sir Richard Burton. With a straw you will look like a rich English tourist...KC ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe