Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trip to Egypt in April 2008 - Felt or straw?

Flieger

Practically Family
Me and Mrs Flieger are going on a holiday trip to Egypt this spring to chase some of the winter cold from our bones. We are of course going to see the sights from Cairo to Luxor. Question is - What hat to wear? I love to sport a brown felt fedora of Indy fame but I worry about my head getting cooked. A classic Optimo straw would be the logical option (and would give me the leverage I need to convice Mrs Flieger that I need to order one of those from PanamaBob).

This is just a one-week trip so I can't really justify bringing both type of lids.... or can I?

Anyone here been to Egypt or other similar warm places and is willing to share some experience?

Cheers
/F

ADDED: Cairo in April is said to average at 82.5F/28C

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Well I have been to Luxor and Valley of the Kings in January...and it was about 26 on the average.....

Not being a male...not sure if thats cold enough for felt..I would say straw as long as the brim is big enough for sun protection.

RBH

Bartender
I would say get both!
A good Indy style felt and a rollable classic style [optimo] from Panama Bob.
The day would be great for the panama and I am sure the [evening &] night would call for the felt.

You do know you will have to take plenty photos for us... dont you? :D

Flieger

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
Well I have been to Luxor and Valley of the Kings in January...and it was about 26 on the average.....

Not being a male...not sure if thats cold enough for felt..I would say straw as long as the brim is big enough for sun protection.

Thank you. You make a valid point about brim size and sun protection. Lucky for me I like my brims big.

RBH said:
I would say get both!
A good Indy style felt and a rollable classic style [optimo] from Panama Bob.
The day would be great for the panama and I am sure the [evening &] night would call for the felt.

You do know you will have to take plenty photos for us... dont you?

LOL! I somehow knew that someone would tell me to bring both. Well, this is a hat-forum after all. Camera is ALWAYS packed when I go on trips and I'll share a few snaps with you all when we get back.

Cheers
/F

Mike K.

One Too Many
Follow the lead of Dr. Hawass...
egypt.b.450.jpg

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'd take both - different looks for different outfits and different photos.

;) And as for doing like Dr. Hawass - leave the brush and paint at home. Repainting the faces on ancient sarcophagii is best left to the experts... ;)

Flieger

Practically Family
Mike in Seattle said:
I'd take both - different looks for different outfits and different photos.

;) And as for doing like Dr. Hawass - leave the brush and paint at home. Repainting the faces on ancient sarcophagii is best left to the experts... ;)

Ahh...! Good advice there, Mike! And I'll try to leave my paintbrushes at home... however tempting it may be to do some pyramide grafitti. :)

Cheers
/M

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Flieger said:
Me and Mrs Flieger are going on a holiday trip to Egypt this spring to chase some of the winter cold from our bones. We are of course going to see the sights from Cairo to Luxor. Question is - What hat to wear? I love to sport a brown felt fedora of Indy fame but I worry about my head getting cooked. A classic Optimo straw would be the logical option (and would give me the leverage I need to convice Mrs Flieger that I need to order one of those from PanamaBob).

This is just a one-week trip so I can't really justify bringing both type of lids.... or can I?

Anyone here been to Egypt or other similar warm places and is willing to share some experience?

Cheers
/F

If I didn't wear felt over 80F I would never get to in Florida! Take em both:D

mineral

One of the Regulars
Flieger said:
Me and Mrs Flieger are going on a holiday trip to Egypt this spring to chase some of the winter cold from our bones. We are of course going to see the sights from Cairo to Luxor. Question is - What hat to wear

Most definitely straw. I visited in June a few years ago so my situation would be worse than yours, but your itinerary will probably take you to a lot of places where shade is minimal and you will need real, effective sun protection. If you wear your felt hat it would just get soaked through with sweat (at best). I would advise you to just bring a straw, or two if you want to have a change in style. (And you should consult the temperatures of Aswan and Luxor and not Cairo, since both those places are really much hotter than Cairo.)

Otherwise, enjoy your trip! And if Dashur is not on your itinerary, go bargain with a cab driver to give you a ride and visit there. You wouldn't regret it.

Flieger

Practically Family
indycop said:
If I didn't wear felt over 80F I would never get to in Florida! Take em both:D

Thanks Indycop! This makes me want to start a discussion on the topic "Felt vs Damp Heat/Dry Heat". I live in a country where temperatures are very moderate compared to places like Florida. So I can't really imagine what it would be like wearing a felt hat in 80F for extended periods.

Cheers
/F

Flieger

Practically Family
mineral said:
Most definitely straw. I visited in June a few years ago so my situation would be worse than yours, but your itinerary will probably take you to a lot of places where shade is minimal and you will need real, effective sun protection. If you wear your felt hat it would just get soaked through with sweat (at best). I would advise you to just bring a straw, or two if you want to have a change in style. (And you should consult the temperatures of Aswan and Luxor and not Cairo, since both those places are really much hotter than Cairo.)

Otherwise, enjoy your trip! And if Dashur is not on your itinerary, go bargain with a cab driver to give you a ride and visit there. You wouldn't regret it.

Thank you Mineral! Checking my travel guide I saw that Luxor in April had an average of 91,5F/33C! :eek: Straw seem to be the way to go there.

Thanks also for the tip about Dashur. We have a couple of days on our itinerary that we haven't filled yet.

Cheers
/F

GwenLake

One of the Regulars
Well, I was there in August, and another thing to watch out for is wind. You'll probably want something to keep your hat on, especially over looking the pyramids.

Being a girl, I just bobby-pined my hat to my hair, but I don't think that would work too well for most men. :D

Flieger

Practically Family
GwenLake said:
Well, I was there in August, and another thing to watch out for is wind. You'll probably want something to keep your hat on, especially over looking the pyramids.

Being a girl, I just bobby-pined my hat to my hair, but I don't think that would work to well for most men. :D

Another tip worth gold. :eusa_clap Thank you very much, GwenLake! I guess a pinned had would look silly on me so I have to find another solution. :D OTOH, straw-hats are not as wind sensitive as felt ones.

Cheers
/F

Havana

One of the Regulars
Either style would work but I believe a felt hat is better for travel. I always wear a felt hat for travelling and have worn such all over Africa in climates moist and dry. The picture below was taken in Morocco in 117 degree heat. Having been to Egypt 9 times, I can tell you the climate is much the same. Early Spring and late Fall are probably the best times to go. I suggest a wide brim and a neck string of some kind to keep the hat on in the case of wind. Some desert winds are constant while others can seem to come from no where and can send you running after your hat.
actionshots665.jpg

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Good dilemma there

Flieger said:

Cheers
/F

Flieger,

As far as I remember you have nice Panamas both from Bob and Pachacuti...there-there.
An Egypt journey will make not a good excuse there. (Take both straw and the felt). Just pay attention that the straw does not gets blown away by the desert wind and lands in a Camels mouth...
The colonial safari hats are a better option there, - they have a ribbon underneath the chin. When I was a poor student visiting Syria I did wear a baseball cap, one of us had a burnus locally purchased, everyone got something on the top.
Yes your head will sweat underneath - but you won't get the sunburn.

Bon voyage

Tamas

Flieger

Practically Family
Another vote for the felt. Man, I should have made this topic into a poll. :)

Thanks for sharing that photo, Havana. Love your "travel style"! :eusa_clap Since I don't have any hat with neck- or chin-strap... do you have any suggestions?

Cheers
/F

Flieger

Practically Family
HungaryTom said:
Flieger,

As far as I remember you have nice Panamas both from Bob and Pachacuti...there-there.
An Egypt journey will make not a good excuse there. (Take both straw and the felt). Just pay attention that the straw does not gets blown away by the desert wind and lands in a Camels mouth...
The colonial safari hats are a better option there, - they have a ribbon underneath the chin. When I was a poor student visiting Syria I did wear a baseball cap, one of us had a burnus locally purchased, everyone got something on the top.
Yes your head will sweat underneath - but you won't get the sunburn.

Bon voyage

Tamas

Dang it Tamas, you are supposed to be supporting a fellow Lounger if he's trying to find minimal excuses to order another hat! :D

Pith helmets are cool, but getting one just for this trip is not an option for me. :(

Cheers
/F

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe