Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trimming a Brim, or I Think I Should'a Listened to Mike

I'm with ya, bd3. It's a distinctive (in a good way) hat just the way it is, although if it were mine (which it ain't) I would probably be likelier to wear it more often if it had less brim. But it would be just the thing for some contexts.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Phil --

As you may recall, I was a big fan of this lid when you first posted it. It reminds me a lot of my North Valley lid that is one of my faves. In my view, the "correct" brim width has a lot to do with the look you want for you, as well as the hat's intended use. In certain contexts, that 3 1/2" brim may be just the ticket. But, in other contexts, it may be way too much brim. Sounds like you're looking for a brim width that's a bit more versatile in terms of general use.

Hope you don't mind if I post a couple of photos for your consideration. The first is my North Valley lid, which has a turned down brim of 2 7/8". I chose this brim width because I thought it would work for outdoors use, but still have a look that would work in other settings:

NVFedora.jpg

Here is a photo of a Stetson No. 1 Quality with a 3 1/4" turned down brim -- a wide enough brim to really do the job for outdoors use, but not the really wide look that you currently have on your lid.

StetsonNo1.jpg

BTW -- good move on having Mike do the job. Good luck!

Cheers,
JtL

portolan

A-List Customer
Just got back from the post office. The hat is on its way

back to Mike. Thanks so much for all the advice/guidance. Thanks especially to JTL for posting those two pics. It really helps me to see the options. My hat was 3 3/4 inches in a flat brim. Your two pics help me see what a difference there is in just a half an inch or less. I like both your hats, maybe a bit more partial to the 3 1/4. It is amazing what a half an inch makes in a brim. I never would have thought that. Your hats are 5/8 of an inch different. Thanks again. I am gonna leave it up to Mike this time. Thanks again to all for the help. The hat is in the mail and the scissors are safely put away.

Now, I am gonna mess with my first bash attempt of my Adam Executive. I don't think I can ruin that! Ha!

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Phil -- Glad you found the photos useful. I didn't realize that your brim was 3 3/4." Yup, that's pretty darn wide! I forgot that I had a photo of a Stetson 3X with a 3 1/2" turned down brim, so I figured I'd post that one, as well. So, the range of brims that I have posted runs from 2 7/8" up to 3 1/2" -- a total span of just 5/8" of an inch -- but, as you have pointed out, a small difference in width can result in a very different look.

3X-2.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

cooncatbob

Practically Family
Actually cutting down a brim is very easy, all you need is a sharp pair scissors a drawing compass and some medium and fine sandpaper.
I wouldn't cut 3/4 of an inch off at once, you can always cut off more but you can't put it back on.
Set you compass to the desired amount, scribe a line all the way around the brim.
Cut right down that line going counter clockwise.
Smooth the edge with medium then fine sandpaper.
I cut down a brand new Fed this way, I only took a 1/4 inch off.
Before
435514092_d24c140c94.jpg

After
435824120_f764d1913c.jpg

randooch

I'll Lock Up
cooncatbob said:
Actually cutting down a brim is very easy, all you need is a sharp pair scissors a drawing compass and some medium and fine sandpaper.
I wouldn't cut 3/4 of an inch off at once, you can always cut off more but you can't put it back on.
Set you compass to the desired amount, scribe a line all the way around the brim.

A compass, eh? where would the sharp pivot point go? Can't picture that working on anything but a flat surface. And if the brim is slightly oval, you're out of luck.

carter

I'll Lock Up
portolan said:
I will send it back to Mike. Mike, thanks for the generous offer. I will post pics when it returns! Guess I'll put the scissors away! Phil
Phil, The Major spoke and you listened. Excellent decision. :)

cooncatbob

Practically Family
randooch said:
cooncatbob said:

A compass, eh? where would the sharp pivot point go? Can't picture that working on anything but a flat surface. And if the brim is slightly oval, you're out of luck.

You set the hat on a flat surface, the point of the compass rides against the outside edge of the brim with the lead marking a line in the felt.
Then you split that line with the scissors, felt has no grain to it so it easy to keep the scissor on track.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That is the beauty of custom is just that it's tailored to your wishes.

I think you made several great choices: the wide brim, I think looks fine, could be cut down. Next great choice was letting the gentleman who did an excellent job to begin with, use his talents to create your ideal lid.

Sounds like a win all around.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

P.S. I hope you have round edge scissors. For your next hatlol lol lol

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Good tip!

You set the hat on a flat surface, the point of the compass rides against the outside edge of the brim with the lead marking a line in the felt.
Then you split that line with the scissors, felt has no grain to it so it easy to keep the scissor on track.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Cooncat. Just tried it on one of my too-wide brims, and it worked like a breeze!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe