Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench Coat - the 'Ultimate' Thread!

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I can't tell you what it is from that view, but I can tell you that it is most definitely not British despatch rider's (DonR) coat (or a Danish one -they are similar).

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Mr. Briton,

I take it you are not averse to making a second-hand purchase? If you are in the size 40"-42" range and six feet tall or over I know where there is a 30 year old Burberry trench coat in very good condition at a very keen price.

Bill Briton said:
I've looked all over the Internet to find a half-decent trench-coat. The modern ones are all too short and either far too expensive or of questionable quality and the original vintage items are very rare and likewise too pricey for me.
Would anyone know of a site (or shop in Britain) where I can get an affordable, long trench-coat?

Thank you for your time for reading this.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Original vintage Gabardine American Trenchcoat (pics)

Many thanks to Mateo for this beauty of a vintage, middle weight gabardine trenchcoat (I daresay in the same fabric as Bogarts, as that was par for the course!), not disimilar to WWII military ones (but this is a civilian market one).
One of a few items I brought back from the US.
Needs a few buttons replacing (Just on the cuffs), but all-in-all it's pretty ship-shape and fits to a tee (I know, too many golfing analogies!). Love the bakelite buttons!!

Compared to a modern Burberry...this WINS hands down.

WHO'S LOOKING AT 'YOU' KID..!!!!!!!!!!!

TRENCH014.jpg

TRENCH015.jpg

TRENCH008.jpg

TRENCH009.jpg

TRENCH010.jpg

TRENCH011.jpg

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Nice find, Paddy! Looks like it was made for you.

Put that first picture in B&W, and I can almost hear the voice over.
"The streets were dark with something more than night."

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Bogart Trench Coat

People who are looking for a proper Bogart trench coat, please don't take offence by what I have to say, as I am not trying to insult you.

Why do you have to get a perfect Bogart coat, that looks like the coat from Casablanca? After all, the reason why his trench coat had unique features (double gun-flap, no raglan sleeves) is probably because it was the trench coat the producers happened to come across. The character Bogart plays obviously doesn't care about how his coat looks, as he doesn't close the buttons and just knots the belt. To cut short, the character's attitude is he isn't a perfectionist, so if you want to copy him, copy his attitude and just get any trench coat rather than the perefect look-alike.

If this all sounds like a lot of rubbish, let me give an example, I like to look like Indiana Jones but I don't use the proper hat but just a dark tan outdoor felt safari hat and a leather jacket. It isn't a perfect Indy look but it conveys the idea which is all you need. Likewise, if you are a Bogart fan, don't spend lots of money on getting a perfect hat and coat but just get the first similar ones you come across and act like Bogart, and you will do a perfect impression. After all, most people can't tell the difference between an ordinary trench coat and a Bogart coat.

The Collector-Fan

avedwards said:
Why do you have to get a perfect Bogart coat, that looks like the coat from Casablanca? After all, most people can't tell the difference between an ordinary trench coat and a Bogart coat.
While what you're saying is perfectly valid for many, it doesn't take into account the desires of the Collector-Fan. Here we go back to the original meaning of FAN which is short for FANATIC. Collectors that are fanatics are very much in tune with DETAILS not the general vibe of an outfit or movie prop. Exactness to detail is what pleases the collector fanantic. Also, for some items the details are directly related to the QUALITY of an item, for more on that read the many, many threads on the various aviator and A-2 jackets, where the materials and workmanship correlate to the love of the maker by their enthusiasts.

If a person wants an M1917 Smith and Wesson revolver in 45ACP with the moon clips, a 44 Ruger Redhawk won't do, even though they are both large caliber revolvers and have many similarities. It's the details that a collector wants and that get satified more easily in some instances than others,

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
John in Covina said:
While what you're saying is perfectly valid for many, it doesn't take into account the desires of the Collector-Fan. Here we go back to the original meaning of FAN which is short for FANATIC. Collectors that are fanatics are very much in tune with DETAILS not the general vibe of an outfit or movie prop. Exactness to detail is what pleases the collector fanantic. Also, for some items the details are directly related to the QUALITY of an item, for more on that read the many, many threads on the various aviator and A-2 jackets, where the materials and workmanship correlate to the love of the maker by their enthusiasts.

If a person wants an M1917 Smith and Wesson revolver in 45ACP with the moon clips, a 44 Ruger Redhawk won't do, even though they are both large caliber revolvers and have many similarities. It's the details that a collector wants and that get satified more easily in some instances than others,

I agree with you. If I were a collector I would want to get things perfect. My previous post was for people doing "impersonations" or "wannabe", as this is different to collecting. It therefore depends on why the item is wanted, as collectors probably would not use collectable items for general use, while "wannabes" would. By the way, I don't think there is anything wrong with being a "wannabe", I only put it in inverted commas because I think that it is not a proper word.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Valstar

Valstar certainly made trench coats and other Alpine and rainwear between the wars (and possibly before). That's a long way (without documentary evidence) from saying that they made the coat used in Casablanca, whatever they may claim.

You have to take account of the way that such claims (what I call 'hype') are made in some Continental countries - particularly Italy. Look at Belstaff...

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
NOT Bogart clones...just celebrating the iconic trench!

avedwards said:
People who are looking for a proper Bogart trench coat, please don't take offence by what I have to say, as I am not trying to insult you.

Why do you have to get a perfect Bogart coat, that looks like the coat from Casablanca? ...if you are a Bogart fan, don't spend lots of money on getting a perfect hat and coat but just get the first similar ones you come across and act like Bogart, and you will do a perfect impression. After all, most people can't tell the difference between an ordinary trench coat and a Bogart coat.

Hello there! this thread is NOT about creating a perfect BOGIE CLONE but rather a celebration of the trenchcoat as an iconic piece of outerwear. When you read this longish thread, you will see that we show a huge amount of different variations of this great coat style.

But as BOGART is probably the most famous of people to sport such a coat, it seemed fair to promote the coat title by using the connection to such an ICONIC STAR as BOGART.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Over the years I've seen dozens of trenchcoats in the Goodwills around here and almost all have the single gunflap and raglan sleeves. I walked into a Goodwill today and saw one that had the regular sleeves and double gun flaps, I looked at the size on the inside and l couldn't believe it was a 42 regular, just my size. It was a Christian Dior, I looked it all over for a tear or rip, a missing button or broken buckle. Nothing missing and just a few dirt smudges. I paid the lady a whopping $9.49 and took it off to the dry cleaners. I've wanted one of these for a long time but have never wanted to pay "New" price. They just seem to have a nicer fit and look to my eye than the raglan sleeve ones.

fedoralover

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Double Gunny Trench

Here's a pic of a Christian Dior trench coat I just picked up at Goodwill, it's has the standard sleeves, (not raglan) with double gunflaps which are scalloped. The pockets also have matching scalloped flaps.
IMG20071102_20090103_0001.jpg

fedoralover

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe