Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench Coat - the 'Ultimate' Thread!

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
an old Aquascutum ad

1980s-usa-aquascutum-magazine-advert-EXRWM7.jpg

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Here's a very interesting US military trench coat for those who follow this sort of stuff. It's one of the modern-day (last 30+ years or so) "coat, all-weather, men's" which are issued for wear with service dress. They've come in single-breasted and double-breasted versions, coloured dark blue for the USAF, pewter for the USMC (who have now switched to black), and black for the USN and I think the Army. I've never seen one in "Heritage Green" like the one below. I guess the Army must have issued them in green for a while. If anyone has info/experience please let me know.

8100 defense logistics.jpg 8101.jpg 8107.jpg 8108.jpg

For what it's worth, this whole series of coats is a nice option for someone on a budget or who wants something waterproof but isn't fussed about civilian quality. They're tough but no-frills, and easy to find in good condition or even NWT on eBay, etc, for low prices.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ode to the trench coat.
Made the mistake of opening this thread, which I used to routinely contribute to.
Up until my retirement 3 years ago, I used to live in a place and a climate (Vienna) where I could wear my classic trench coat from October through April. And I did… over my business suit.
There was just something romantic and elegant about that coat and it never failed to put me in a Casablanca mindset. Play it again, Sam.

Now I live someplace where a trench coat would be decidedly out of place (and hot). My trench coat lives in its dry cleaning bag and has not seen the light of day in quite a while. Sigh.

IMG_0014.jpeg

Last edited:

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Ode to the trench coat.
Made the mistake of opening this thread, which I used to routinely contribute to.
Up until my retirement 3 years ago, I used to live in a place and a climate (Vienna) where I could wear my classic trench coat from October through April. And I did… over my business suit.
There was just something romantic and elegant about that coat and it never failed to put me in a Casablanca mindset. Play it again, Sam.

Now I live someplace where a trench coat would be decidedly out of place (and hot). My trench coat lives in its dry cleaning bag and has not seen the light of day in quite a while. Sigh.

View attachment 633574
I feel you man. I too live now in the land of sun, t-shirts and flip-flops, and my jackets live in a closet. Oh well, you gain some and you lose some.

VansonRider

A-List Customer
Here's a very interesting US military trench coat for those who follow this sort of stuff. It's one of the modern-day (last 30+ years or so) "coat, all-weather, men's" which are issued for wear with service dress. They've come in single-breasted and double-breasted versions, coloured dark blue for the USAF, pewter for the USMC (who have now switched to black), and black for the USN and I think the Army. I've never seen one in "Heritage Green" like the one below. I guess the Army must have issued them in green for a while. If anyone has info/experience please let me know.

View attachment 633533 View attachment 633532 View attachment 633531 View attachment 633530

For what it's worth, this whole series of coats is a nice option for someone on a budget or who wants something waterproof but isn't fussed about civilian quality. They're tough but no-frills, and easy to find in good condition or even NWT on eBay, etc, for low prices.
I’ve been a lot more interested in the post WWII to Vietnam era made from 100% cotton sateen. I like the heavier hand of the fabric, but I haven’t seen one of these in person. Have you hefted one? Do they feel any thinner or still robust?
What I like about the earlier coat is that they were service uniforms not dress, and they fit my vintage work wear aesthetic a little better.
I have an AG44 trench and even though I love the wool gabardine I find the cut skews juuust a little more formal than I prefer.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I’ve been a lot more interested in the post WWII to Vietnam era made from 100% cotton sateen. I like the heavier hand of the fabric, but I haven’t seen one of these in person. Have you hefted one? Do they feel any thinner or still robust?
What I like about the earlier coat is that they were service uniforms not dress, and they fit my vintage work wear aesthetic a little better.
I have an AG44 trench and even though I love the wool gabardine I find the cut skews juuust a little more formal than I prefer.
I have unfortunately never owned or handled one of the vintage military coats from the Korean War, Vietnam eras, etc. No doubt the weight got lighter over time, since, as we discussed in I think the Overcoat thread, these coats ceased to be field wear and became service wear on-base, walking out, parades, etc, so the heavier weight was no longer necessary. I had one of the modern-day USMC pewter-coloured coats and the material was kinda raspy and overall it was a low-end coat but seem quite tough and no doubt weatherproof. I didn't keep mine long enough to get to know it well, if you know what I mean. As for the vintage ones, I stopped paying attention several years back, but I imagine you can still get them used now and then. I did see one up on eBay a few days ago in my size; in the close-up photos the shell looked to be a soft, tightly-woven poplin cloth with a sheen, almost like a satin or heavy sateen. Which incidentally is pretty common cloth if you look at old photos of movie stars in the black-and-white days. I strongly suspect (with no real evidence, I should note) that the ribbed twill we associate with trench coats today is actually a relatively modern cloth, and in the older days (up to the 1970s at the latest maybe?) a tightly-woven lightweight poplin was more common. Of course a few US companies like London Fog never stopped using poplin. In any case, this is all a bit speculative.

VansonRider

A-List Customer
I have unfortunately never owned or handled one of the vintage military coats from the Korean War, Vietnam eras, etc. No doubt the weight got lighter over time, since, as we discussed in I think the Overcoat thread, these coats ceased to be field wear and became service wear on-base, walking out, parades, etc, so the heavier weight was no longer necessary. I had one of the modern-day USMC pewter-coloured coats and the material was kinda raspy and overall it was a low-end coat but seem quite tough and no doubt weatherproof. I didn't keep mine long enough to get to know it well, if you know what I mean. As for the vintage ones, I stopped paying attention several years back, but I imagine you can still get them used now and then. I did see one up on eBay a few days ago in my size; in the close-up photos the shell looked to be a soft, tightly-woven poplin cloth with a sheen, almost like a satin or heavy sateen. Which incidentally is pretty common cloth if you look at old photos of movie stars in the black-and-white days. I strongly suspect (with no real evidence, I should note) that the ribbed twill we associate with trench coats today is actually a relatively modern cloth, and in the older days (up to the 1970s at the latest maybe?) a tightly-woven lightweight poplin was more common. Of course a few US companies like London Fog never stopped using poplin. In any case, this is all a bit speculative.
Oh! I wasn't clear in my posting. It always makes sense in my head, too!

I DO own a few of the early versions in cotton sateen, and I was asking about this poplin blend.

I really like the workwear weight models, and it sounds like I'll be avoiding the later dressier models. I do like the look, and completely understand the appeal, but I'm trying to avoid synthetics wherever possible. They do look fantastic though...

StewartU

New in Town
I just bought an older Brooks Brothers trench coat off of eBay and am awaiting its arrival. It looks to be from the early 80's. Does anyone know who would have made these for Brooks Brothers?

It has all of the classic characteristics and is 60/40 cotton/polyester.

Image.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPDuran