Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench Coat - the 'Ultimate' Thread!

Deafjeff

Familiar Face
Are you sure it's the same coat? You may have a different kind of wool coat or it may be 100% wool gabardine. The tag inside the shell of my trench reads: "Overcoat, Man's Wool Gabardine, AG-44..." You should be able to tell by the feel of the surface. The surface has a smoother feel than other wool coats.
Yes Im certain its the same coat. Vietnam era, picked it up in a military store a few months back. Its heavy but very warm and I recognized the coat you were wearing immediatly as the one I have. Mine reads Overcoat Mens Wool though. No gabardine mentioned, but it is definitly the same coat. Surface is smooth though. And size 44 as well

guygardner

A-List Customer
They're great coats aren't they? Perfect for a cold and wet day. You sometimes get great deals with army surplus; incredible quality yet so cheap. I imagine a wool gabardine trench with satin/wool lining would be very expensive if purchased new.

Deafjeff

Familiar Face
I would agree. Mine was only 25 but there was also a dark greenish trench that was from the Korean war. That trench was 75 and was a bit pricey for me but I might go back and see about it when I have more of that elusive thing we call money. There was also a World War II era wool Great coat at the shop selling for 200 and I won't lie, I felt quite a bit of coat envy. It was a VERY nice piece. There were a few other coats as well, but nothing I can remember off the top of my head. I shall have to go back there and see sometime soon.

Deafjeff

Familiar Face
Sorry about double posting but I simply had to share this story with you. I'am lucky enough to be a member of an organization called Upward Bound which is dedicated to helping high school students get into college. They offer all sorts of opportunities and it is truly a privledge to be a part of it. Its based at a local college in the city next to mine. I wa son my way to a session today and had to walk across the campus while pouring rain and slick snowy mush came down around me. I was wearing my trench coat over a navy blazer and brown pants and when I got there i discovered many of my classmates were soaked to the bone! They had worn hoodies mostly and were soaking wet, while my trench kept my nice attire perfectly bone dry! Truly a must have coat for anyone up here in New England! :D

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Since Le Samourai was mentioned, I just wanted to chime in.

Le Samourai - he's wearing an Aquascutum coat (note unique pockets and throat latch).

This is probably my favorite "trench coat movie," everything about it was very stylish (Jean-Pierre Melville is also a favorite director of mine). I don't own anything like this yet, although I do have the hat (light grey, wide black ribbon Stetson), maybe I might just have to find myself a nice double-breasted Aquascutum to go with it one of these days.

Alain Delon's style is very 60s does 40s-50s.

I think the character was meant to dress like a throwback to then, but in my opinion, that's one thing that gives the film a rather timeless look; the combining of earlier elements in the then-modern day of 1967. Even today, the same kind of getup can work.

P.S. Also, my current avatar is the rare image of Jef Costello smiling at the end of Le Samourai, a deleted ending not in the final film. Just thought it might be interesting to share. I found it on a YouTube video, but those have a tendency of getting taken down a bit.

Last edited:

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
A rainy day in London town. My son and I - together with two elderly gentlemen.
DSCF0386.jpg

Trench: 2 x Aquascutum

guygardner

A-List Customer
Since Le Samourai was mentioned, I just wanted to chime in.

This is probably my favorite "trench coat movie," everything about it was very stylish (Jean-Pierre Melville is also a favorite director of mine). I don't own anything like this yet, although I do have the hat (light grey, wide black ribbon Stetson), maybe I might just have to find myself a nice double-breasted Aquascutum to go with it one of these days.

I think the character was meant to dress like a throwback to then, but in my opinion, that's one thing that gives the film a rather timeless look; the combining of earlier elements in the then-modern day of 1967. Even today, the same kind of getup can work.

P.S. Also, my current avatar is the rare image of Jef Costello smiling at the end of Le Samourai, a deleted ending not in the final film. Just thought it might be interesting to share. I found it on a YouTube video, but those have a tendency of getting taken down a bit.

http://www.noiroftheweek.com/2009/01/le-samoura-1967.html

There is a timelessness to much of the style of Le Samourai, and I would agree it probably owes much to the integration of 1940s style with that of 1967, but then a lot of the style of the early to mid 60s holds up very well to today. There is an understated minimalist quality to a lot of the design from that time (unlike the 1970s).

Another interesting thing about this film is how it was inspired by American film, but also inspired American and HK film. John Woo's "A Better Tomorrow," and Tarantino's "Reservoir Dogs" both owe much to Melville's sense of style.

Deafjeff

Familiar Face
Today I actually went to school wearing khaki slacks, brown leather dress shoes, a navy blue blazer, and dress shirt and tie with my trench coat and trilby fedora on. I've worn both my trilby and my trench to school a million times but rarely both. One kid told me he loved the way I dressed. Unfortunatly I also got the Inspector Gadget comments from no less than 3 or 4 people :eek: Even more baffling was being compared to Sherlock Holmes by one girl [huh]

Deafjeff

Familiar Face
To be perfectly honest I doubt there is a single person in my high school who knows any of those famous characters. I mentioned Humphrey Bogart to a couple of people which was met with confused looks and people asaking me who that was. I mentioned Casablanca and most of my friends had heard of it but didn't know the actors involved and had also never actually seen it. It was quite sad. My television production teacher is a HUGE noir fan like me though so he and I can discuss it at length and he is always impressed with the way I dress

guygardner

A-List Customer
Another Gabardine Trench

A charity shop find: an old London Fog single breasted wool gabardine trench. Tag says wool outer shell. Lining is a silky satin. Unfortunately 2 or 3 sizes too large for me.

londonfog1.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_4195.jpg
[/IMG]

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
A rainy day in London town. My son and I - together with two elderly gentlemen.
DSCF0386.jpg

Trench: 2 x Aquascutum

Two likely lads out on the town!

Nice trenchcoats Søren

And Kristoffer has chopped his hair off ;)

Bet you had fun in Londinium.

Hal

Practically Family
I was on my way to a session today and had to walk across the campus while pouring rain and slick snowy mush came down around me. I was wearing my trench coat over a navy blazer and brown pants and when I got there I discovered many of my classmates were soaked to the bone! They had worn hoodies mostly and were soaking wet, while my trench kept my nice attire perfectly bone dry!
This shows that traditional/classical clothes are often FAR more practical than the ubiquitous nondescript casual stuff.

On quite another note: single-breasted raincoats, however practical and good-looking, are NOT trench-coats!

Last edited:

KC Capellor

One of the Regulars
Not a trenchcoat, but my everyday raincoat, drying from yesterday's showers is a 1970's Brooks Bros. "fowler's jacket". Fine cotton, flannel lined, wide corduroy collar, inner duck call and zip pockets, outer details include handwarmer slash pockets, reinforced right forearm for cradling shotgun, and rear double-zipper snap-expanded with waterproof (make that blood-proof) lined game pouch.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

KC Capellor

One of the Regulars
This shows that traditional/classical clothes are often FAR more practical than the ubiquitous nondescript casual stuff.

On quite another note: single-breasted raincoats, however practical and good-looking, are NOT trench-coats!

...and I was worried about the clashing navy blazer over brown slacks, hopefully he meant no darker than khaki :)

I think the beginning of this thread defines real trench coats very well: WWI era coats that met acceptable specs for uniform wear by British and American officers, with certain minimum design characteristics like double-breasted, below the knee, belted waist with d-rings, belted cuffs, large lapels with throat and or shoulder storm-flaps, epaulette straps for shoulder boards, etc. This basic style of coat had been popular rainwear with gentlemen and military officers since the late 1800's. Neat to see how a hundred year old style is still a great overcoat today!

guygardner

A-List Customer
I think the beginning of this thread defines real trench coats very well: WWI era coats that met acceptable specs for uniform wear by British and American officers, with certain minimum design characteristics like double-breasted, below the knee, belted waist with d-rings, belted cuffs, large lapels with throat and or shoulder storm-flaps, epaulette straps for shoulder boards, etc. This basic style of coat had been popular rainwear with gentlemen and military officers since the late 1800's. Neat to see how a hundred year old style is still a great overcoat today!

Here is a photo of a WWI soldier wearing a long Single-breasted overcoat for use in the trenches. Looks like a trench coat to me...

grenadier20guards20in20trench20coat.jpg
[/IMG]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe