Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench Coat - the 'Ultimate' Thread!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Yep.

Casablanca.jpg

B
T

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Gun flap

Alan Eardley said:
PADDY said:
Looks like it just has the one gun flap on the shoulder, but for that price, so what?[huh]
A question - why do people on this forum call them 'gun flaps'? What do they have to do with guns?
Alan
I'm not sure, but I would bet it corresponds to the leather pads on the shoulder of shooting jackets. This is where you'd place the butt of a rifle or shot gun.

Estevan

One of the Regulars
dhermann1 said:
Alan Eardley said:
PADDY said:
Looks like it just has the one gun flap on the shoulder, but for that price, so what?[huh]

I'm not sure, but I would bet it corresponds to the leather pads on the shoulder of shooting jackets. This is where you'd place the butt of a rifle or shot gun.

Or a Tommy Gun....:eek:

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Estevan said:
dhermann1 said:
Alan Eardley said:
Or a Tommy Gun....:eek:

The correct term is 'storm flap'. The flap is used to stop heavy rain from entering the open side of the coat when it is buttoned up and the collar closed. The flap is unbuttoned, the coat is closed and the flap is buttoned again providing a seal of sorts. It is a reduced version of the cape that 19th coats such as Ulsters had for the same pupose. If it relates to guns, why does a woman's coat have it on the left hand(i.e. buttoning) side? Are all women left handed shots?

Nothing to do with guns.

Alan

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Good description, Alan.

There should be a matching "cape" on the back too- set in as a yoke- open at the bottom edge.
Supposed to keep you dry- probably a bit like the principal of a tent and fly-sheet, I guess.
The shoulder is the part that bares the brunt of the rain.

Side note:
The Sahariana uses a caped back-yoke and front flaps and incorporates these as breast pocket flaps. The caoe idea was supposed to function as sun protection, as it was a tropical garment but it became a piece of traditional styling. You see a ventilated back yoke panel on hi-tech fishing and outdoot shirts and jackets.

Gun flap, my eye.

B
T

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
Yeah, a few people have asked me about it, but because of the price of a tailored overcoat, most people are happy enough with a "close enough" for a tenth of the price. Can't say that I blame them. [huh]

Kind regards,
Indy

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Double storm flap

Trench coats with a double storm flap are common enough. Technically, it produces a coat that can be fastened on either the mens' or womens' side, but I suspect it is really there to provide a more balanced look.

Alan

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
A pain in the butt situation with newly won Trench Coat...

Just emailed the seller who said that the postage would be $7 (I know!! too good to be true [huh] ), as I was after an ETA on the item.

The goal posts have totally changed now, what do you make of this email to me? (I didn't get the email he talks about)

I sent you a e-mail on Monday concerning this matter.when we attempted to mail out on monday at our post office, they told us they now only ship express to your area.when we listed the item we were informed by phone that depending on your district it could cost sending regular air mail between 7.00 to 10.00 dollars.well know we have learned the cost is between 25.00 to 37.00 express for your area.so I had sent you the e-mail explaining this. I will refund you back your money upon request if you don't want to pay the shipping cost. that is way to expensive to send. maybe you can find a coat in your area for less shipping. let us know what you would like for us to do. and let us know if tyou are getting our e-mails.
Respond to this question

Responses in My Messages will not include your email address.

Details for item number: 110137017829

Any advice on how I get around this? as it's a great Trench, a great price on it, but I'm getting screwed on the postage now!!!!! HELP!!! please :eek:

Estevan

One of the Regulars
Hey Paddy....

I don't think you're getting screwed on shipping, but the seller quoted a price when he listed the coat and IMO he should honor it. Not sure how much this coat weighs, but I am routinely paying about $38.00 USD Priority Post for a 4 pound jacket from the continental US to Spain. My suggestion is if you really want the coat, pay the shipping, if not then the seller is offering you your money back. Did the seller mislead you on shipping costs? Most certianly. Is the shipping price reasonable? Yes, he's not overcharging if that's what you're asking. It all depends on how badly you want the coat.

dr greg

One Too Many
rubbish!

I have always used Global Priority Bags for anything I get shipped here from the US, and they are as cheap as $5, and if the one in question is the same size as my trenchcoat it might fit in a $9.50 one or the next size up which I think is $16, you have to be tough with US eBay sellers, most of them don't know jack about shipping internationally.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Yes PAddy- seller if full of it.
Trying to prey on your (assumed)ignorance of USPS and other shipping methods.
$7 did sound cheap AND that email sounds very circular... $7 would have surely been for US domestic shipping.

Just demand the trench at reasonable postage! And be prepared to NOT receive the tench, there are 1000's more of them on eBay.

He either wants more money for shipping, or wants to keep/re-sell the trench.
Seen it all before.

B
T

Estevan

One of the Regulars
Like I said gents, not sure how much this thing weighs, but if it weighs more or less what a leather G-1 flight jacket does, 3 - 4 pounds. I have routinely pay more than 30 USD for shipping. Here's the cut and paste from the USPS website, which is not hard to find. These quotes are for a 4 pound package to the UK. Like I said not sure what this coat weighs.

Express Mail® International 3 - 5 Days $43.25 $39.79
Priority Mail® International 6 - 10 Days $32.00 $30.40
Priority Mail® Flat Rate Box 6 - 10 Days $37.00 $35.15

I think the seller is forgetting that he can use a mailer or a one price box. You might want to fill him in. Go check the rates for yourself and arm yourself with info before you confront the seller. www.usps.com

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
Just demand the trench at reasonable postage! And be prepared to NOT receive the tench, there are 1000's more of them on eBay.

B
T

Paddy,
Why bother with eBay? There are enough Burberry's etc. in vintage shops and even charity shops in the UK. How much do you want to pay?

Alan

Edward

Bartender
Burberry Trenchcoats - up one size?

When looking at a Bruberry trench on eBay.... should I be looking for one that is a size up from my regular suit measurement, or the same size?

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Burberry size

It depends when the coat was made. As with most clothing manufacturers TB has moved their patterns up at least one size over the last thirty or so years. Of it's an old coat, I would recommend buying to your suit size. If its recent. I would even consider going down a size if you are reasonably fit. They put in about 6" allowance, which is ridiculous, even over a suit.

At the end of the day it depends whay look you want.

Alan

Edward

Bartender
Thanks. Sounds like I could get away with a 42 or a 44.... I'm looking at them on eBay UK, where it seems a spotless, as-new Burberry goes for about GBP100 - as compared to the GBP700-800 they are new. :eek: I'd love to have a few trad style trenchcoats - Burberry do now do them in black and navy as well (keeping an eye for those too, I love the look of a black trench for those times of year when my leather one is too heavy), but I have never seen one in a shop / vintage store / anywhere that isn't the traditional tan colour. Oddly enough, they don't do them in grey at all at the minute.... maybe I have a faulty notion of period brought on by Hollywood (or maybe I've been confuddled by too many black and white movies!!) but a mid grey trench just screams private dick to me in a way that the lighter tan or olive ones do Bogie!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld