Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tragic alteration of belted-back suit

mike

Call Me a Cab
I'll be a pharoah soon....

Forgotten Man said:
And people ask me why I hate the 60s!

That suit seems to have only the lapels lobbed off... So much that they cut past the button holes! I've seen modernized 40s suits but, they just cot off the peaks of the lapels... but the upward button holes are still there! Boy, that suit got knocked for a loop!

A friend of mine bought a 40s suit that's from England or Germany and it still is a double breasted, but the lapels narrowed and, get this, they rounded off the bottom corners at the opening of the coat... much like a single breasted coat, what a shame!

Now, what I want to know is why the original, or second owner felt that the fancy back of this coat was "IN" but the lapels weren't?:eusa_doh:

If I only had a time machine, there would be some serious #@$% whoopin' goin' on in the 60s-80s! lol

If you truly had a time machine, you could go further back in time than the 60's. So you could collect all the back belted suits, jaw dropping shoes, etc and go anywhere in time with the coolest stuff ever having extremely exciting adventures! Don't focus on the negatives lol

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
mike said:
If you truly had a time machine, you could go further back in time than the 60's. So you could collect all the back belted suits, jaw dropping shoes, etc and go anywhere in time with the coolest stuff ever having extremely exciting adventures! Don't focus on the negatives lol

Yeah, but I'd take a pit-stop in the 60s to teach those wise guys a lesson! Or I'd open a men's shop and offer half off of a new suit when an old suit was turned in! ;-) Now, that's the way to do business!

Geesie

Practically Family
In (at least one) other thread, some people talk about being tolerant of the aesthetics of others.

This is what I consider "a powerful counterargument".

mike

Call Me a Cab
Forgotten Man said:
Yeah, but I'd take a pit-stop in the 60s to teach those wise guys a lesson! Or I'd open a men's shop and offer half off of a new suit when an old suit was turned in! ;-) Now, that's the way to do business!

But, but, but Marty! In the future you've just created, no one in the 60's has ever touched a single garment! They are innocent lambs! What ever you do... don't kiss your mother! lol

Personally, I would take a pit stop back to the mid/late 40's, just after we won WW2 and all the GI's are slowly coming home and realizing that all their 30's suits are many years out of date and they need to switch em out for bold look suits. That's when I bet you could pick em up for nuttin! And it would be the perfect time to load up that time machine with golden era treasures and head back to the age of the dinosaurs to take on those gigantic birds.... only to one day fall head over heels into a bog while in the death grip with some ancient beast. As fate would have it, I would be unearthed as and presented to the world as the FIRST MAN! A great dinosaur hunter clad in my best.. err what, NRA tagged suit and tie?! What the?! Aaaand history books would never be the same. Tra, la.. la lol

mike

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:

Mike ... in that last post of yours, I'd swear you were channeling Nathan Marsak. That's exactly how he thinks.

Oh, and here are some of his things: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=11577

haha um, thanks! We met briefly on his Weird West Adams bus tour! We got on like bruddas! But I didn't know about the jawdropping extent of his collection until I saw your posting it here! :eusa_doh: Next time I see him, even if it's years from now, I expect to just froth at the mouth about jazz suits lol

mike

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
Yup ... the sheer size, quality and rarity of Nathan's vintage '20s-'30s menswear collection leave us all behind in the dust. Seriously.

Were those his shoe collection you posted a few weeks back in the show us your shoes thread of incredible 30's shoes as far as the eye can see?

Most importantly: Why isn't he on here?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
mike said:
Were those his shoe collection you posted a few weeks back in the show us your shoes thread of incredible 30's shoes as far as the eye can see?

Most importantly: Why isn't he on here?

No, Nathan didn't end up with any of those shoes -- they weren't his size. Most of them went straight to Japan.

Nathan posted in the Lounge once. I think he's more interested in conversing with vintage super-experts. There aren't enough around here ... at least not these days. :(

mike

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
No, Nathan didn't end up with any of those shoes -- they weren't his size. Most of them went to Japan.

Nathan posted here once. I think he's more interested in conversing with vintage super-experts. There aren't enough of them around here ... at least not anymore.

I would imagine it's lonely at the top, poor guy :p

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Lapels, salvaging fabric?

Just to offer an idea or an argument, you *could* use the pants to rebuild the lapels. I think the lower portion of the lapel, down to the bottom of the jacket is one piece. Each side could be salvaged from the pants legs.
Then what is left of the pants you could make a vest.

Personally, no, I wouldn't have the heart to do it, but it could be done....

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Marc Chevalier said:
It can get boring when everyone's asking him questions, while no one is teaching him anything new.
Yep, I bet he'd love to sit around a table and pick the brains of a dozen lucid centenarian haberdashers.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
It can get boring when everyone's asking him questions, while no one is teaching him anything new.

It's for that reason that I'm amazed you've stuck around this long, Marc. Or, to be precise, come back a few times. :)

The exact fiber content of later Palm Beach cloth has to be the first genuinely new info you've learned around here in ages.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe