Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top Quality Biltmore

seed

Familiar Face
Raw.

A couple notes about the Eleganza. The felt is very soft to the touch, although stiff enough to hold a shape. It is easily shaped with steam. One thing some may object to is the visible stitches holding the ribbon in place. Personally it doesn't bother me, especially since it doesn't harm its durability and quality, other than minor aesthetics (quite minor).

When I got mine, for some reason I bought one size smaller than usual (I wear a 7 1/4, however my Biltmore is a 7 1/8). It fit, but only too well, not allowing for shrinkage. The store stretched it and it became to big, so they put some felt on the front of the head band. I was supposed to eventually take it out, but have not had to. Lesson of the story: even though I wear this thing a lot, in good and bad weather, it has not shrunk. And the hat is holding up extremely well, only needing an occasional steaming of the brim to stiffen it up a little and hold its shape. The thing is tough and I have no worries about putting it through the paces. I really enjoy having it.

Al Niente

Familiar Face
The Eleganza and the Almafi look pretty much like the same hat to me.

I have three Biltmore Ultras that I purchased from Henry the Hatter. They are wonderful hats. I have purchased six hats from Henry's in the past year or so. Its a great place to shop with friendly, knowledgable people. Need service? They're on it. Got a problem? They'll fix it. Well, hat problems, anyway. Heartily recommended.

BlackBrim

Familiar Face
seed said:
I got it bashed into a C-crown and had the brim trimmed to 1 3/4", snapped up all around. Most members on this forum are into the really tall crowns and very large brims. Not me. The end result of my Biltmore is quite possibly the perfect size and shape for my thin, 6' frame...and the style is what I would consider modern. Suits me quite well.
I also look better in hats with smaller brims.Before I realized this I bought a couple of hats with 2 5/8" brim.I've been thinking about getting the brims cut.But I am concerned.Does getting brims cut usually turns out ok?Or is there a big risk of the hats getting ruined?

Bill Greene

One of the Regulars
I've had a number of Biltmore hats, and to each one they were great. I can vouch for the Rossellini for certain. The only one I have left is a Biltmore President in Cognac which is very nice.

Biltmore makes a good hat overall.

End of the Road Biltmore....

Josh tipped me off to an online hat shop listing Biltmore Open Road model = https://hats-plus.com/p-1196-biltmore-open-road-hat.aspx
I thought I had missed getting one with Miller's not selling their Open Door model anymore.
I pulled the trigger on the fawn mode. They were out of Caribou & I have plenty of Silverbelly OR type lids.
The specs state 2 3/4" brim but this measures 2 5/8" at best.
The felt, sweat, liner, etc. is on par with the Campdraft Deluxe, maybe better.
It is by far a better offering than the modern HatCo Stetson Stratoliner & even above the Sovereign Roadmaster.
This is the open crown Open Road style hat that Stetson should be putting out!
This will go great with the 2 5/8" brimmed Campdraft in the works.
IMG_20121106_215508_481.jpg

IMG_20121106_215531_010.jpg

For those who wanted the Taupe Fawn 2 5/8" Campdraft, this will do nicely! Consider it a Heritage instead of Imperial though...

With a dry diamond crease in it....
IMG_20121107_083433_709.jpg

And this is the old Miller Douglas model I never got around to buying....look similar?
MillerDouglass.jpg

RBH

Bartender
After all day....
I just recieved an e mail that they do not have the caribou in stock.....
[not surprised as Biltmore is NO-MORE]
But the site should have been updated,.

I went ahead and cancelled.
I did not want the ''pinch'' hat they tried to sell me.
It looked like a tapered mess to me.

Last edited:
After all day....
I just recieved an e mail that they do not have the caribou in stock.....
[not surprised as Biltmore is NO-MORE]
But the site should have been updated, .

I went ahead and cancelled.
I did not want the ''pinch'' hat they tried to sell me.
It looked like a tapered mess to me.

Bummer. The site didn't let me order a caribou one. I tried all the other colors.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up

I'm so thrilled that this hat worked out for you, Tom!! I actually like this better than the Miller "Open Door" because even though they are both the same hat, the "Open Road" kept the original Biltmore trimmings which I think are much nicer than the stuff that Miller used. After stopping into the Hat-Plus store last week, I can most definitely say that it seems that Biltmore made this hat with vintage hats in mind. Is the felt as pliable and thin as a vintage hat?

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Thanks again for the tip Josh. I'd say it is pliable & dense but not as thin as a vintage, like a Heritage grade Akubra but pounced to a better finish. IMHO

No problem, Tom! Well I guess nothing can be as good as vintage, but it sounds like this felt is a very good modern interpretation. Enjoy it!

new2hats

A-List Customer
Am curious about the new Biltmore Hamilton. Its on the website catalog, but not in any webretail stores. Anyone know of such hat?

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
OK...Here it is. Thanks Josh and Tom for the heads up.
5BF42311-A70B-4D6A-97FD-EEC5C9A3AC18-1119-00000066AF055626.jpg

My brim was a full 2 3/4 inches.
CC6C7FA2-11F2-43D5-B723-B1F0DAAE3F46-1119-00000066AD4173CD.jpg

I threw in a quick dry bash
8ABDEED1-601F-4063-9C64-FA7E9EF2026A-1119-00000066AA1A3161.jpg

24F6DC3F-9984-48D5-A864-EDFB22A88B81-1119-00000066AC600743.jpg

The felt on this hat was very surprising to me. This felt is sweet and the crown is moldable like putty- very similar to my, well, I won't say it. This is a great hat.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe