Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top Quality Biltmore

David Bresch

Familiar Face
Where can I buy a best-quality Biltmore and how do I identify them on the web? Furthermore, where can I get Cervo or Guerra? I know many have recommended Borsalino and Akubra but these are too quotidian for me, I want something more unusual. Plus the few Borsalinos I saw were junk.

luvthatlulu

Suspended
David Bresch said:
Where can I buy a best-quality Biltmore and how do I identify them on the web? Furthermore, where can I get Cervo or Guerra? I know many have recommended Borsalino and Akubra but these are too quotidian for me, I want something more unusual. Plus the few Borsalinos I saw were junk.

I can't offer any advice on a source for a "best-quality Biltmore", but I can say that I bought the "Chicago Hat" from Miller Hats (made by Biltmore) several years ago and I was very disappointed that it didn't look anything like the photo on their website and did meet the definition of "quotidian" by anyone's standards. Right now, I'm spoiled by vintage Stetsons and Uncle Art's (I wish) work.

Alon

One of the Regulars
David, there's an old hat shop here in Toronto that specializes in Biltmore. Given the age of the shop and the owner (very old), the models he carries seem to be an older style than the newer Biltmores now available. Check out one of my earlier threads, "It's a boy! ... erhm, I mean a Biltmore..." to see photos of a fedora I bought from him. He charges $165 for any Biltmore he has in stock.

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
The Biltmore Rosellini

The Biltmore Rosellini comes in several different styles and it's Quality and Finish FAR exceed my Borsalino Como. :eusa_clap

bi187303lsex2.gif

http://www.hats-plus.com/detail.aspx?ID=91

Also, Henry the Hatter sales the under the name of Giorgio Cellini Rosellini

http://www.henrythehatterdetroit.co...ufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

I can state without reserve, it is the best made modern production hat I own !!!!!!

tandmark

One of the Regulars
Howdy,

I've got a Miller/Biltmore hat called the Mobile. <http://www.millerhats.com/mporkpie_index/porkpie_2.html> It's well made, I mean *really* well made. The nappy felt makes me suppose that it's one of the higher-end Biltmores (perhaps even an Eleganza, if it werent' branded for Miller). I wear it all the time, including for work.

What else can I say about it? Let's see . . . . I ordered it in Forest Green. By adding a boar's hair brush or a sprig of pine, it looks really, really Bavarian. Without such decoration, it's kinda zoot-suity.

All-in-all, I'd say it was worth every penny.

Cheers,
Mark

NonEntity

Suspended
Biltmore Vs. Akubra

The only Biltmore I actually own is the Golden Pheasant Tyrolean with the huge badger bristle brush. Contray to popular lore, the brush is not there to accomodate the wearer's sudden need to lather up his face and shave, but rather to whisk away snow.

In any case, it is a very high quality hat I've had since college, when I wore it constantly. In fact, I became so associated with that hat that everyone on campus referred to me as "the alpine hat guy." However, I rarely wear it these days, as it's more than a bit over the top for a grown-up to wear in all seriousness. It's now a costume hat because I cannot be serious with it on. People here in the South stare at me with that, "what the hay-ull does that boy have own his hay-ed" look, if not outright ask me. That prompts an irrepressable urge for me to speak with a German accent, don lederhosen, blow a ten-foot-long mountain horn, devour Agricola lozenges, and do a jigity jig up the nearest incline.

But I digress. I recently closely inspected practically all off-the-shelf mid-to-upper-priced fedoras including Biltmore's top of the line Rosellini Luauro. It's a fine hat, for sure, but not quite up to the quality of the Akubra Sydney, which is an open crown design that enables you to make it truly one of a kind with your own bash and dents, and is half the price, to boot. See my thread, Akubra Sydney, on this BB for details.

Edward

Bartender
I have a black Miller / Biltmore I picked up on OFAS, and with which I am very pleased. I've been wearing it since October, around four times a week. I don't know the model name, but the Rossellini pictured above looks identical to my eyes (save mine came with a wind trolley). It's not as thick in the felt as the Fed Deluxe I recently received (looking forward to comparing both hats to the regular Fed I have arriving any day now), but still a very nice hat (even forgetting how little it cost me) and I would certainly consider buying one again.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Biltmore makes a 50 % beaver 50 rabbit fur blend that is supposed to be a great hat. I'd recommend Henry the Hatter or JJ Hats forthe top quality Biltbore hats. We sell many of their fancy finishes such as the Eleganza and Velour hats as well as their lower end hats. The problem is that Biltmore is not financialy sound right now and many retailers have had a lot of problems with them in placing orders .We hope it will get better this yearas I have a lot of confidence in the company.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

sixsexsix

Practically Family
Alon said:
David, there's an old hat shop here in Toronto that specializes in Biltmore. Given the age of the shop and the owner (very old), the models he carries seem to be an older style than the newer Biltmores now available. Check out one of my earlier threads, "It's a boy! ... erhm, I mean a Biltmore..." to see photos of a fedora I bought from him. He charges $165 for any Biltmore he has in stock.

Unfortunately this guy closed his shop down, and I think Cabaret bought out most of his stock. I don't know how much they are charging now, but probably more. My boyfriend has grown quite attached to the old man and bought a few hats from him and was really sad when he decided to shut his doors to the world.

If you walk by he's still sitting in the window watching passers-by, but I don't believe he sells anything anymore.

Alon

One of the Regulars
What?!?!? How long ago did you pass by?!?!?

I was there a fortnight ago shopping for caps. Are you sure about this?! I'll pay him a visit Monday!

sixsexsix

Practically Family
Alon said:
What?!?!? How long ago did you pass by?!?!?

I was there a fortnight ago shopping for caps. Are you sure about this?! I'll pay him a visit Monday!

I had heard about it closing last summer, and every time I have walked by the old man is always sitting in the window behind the CLOSED sign. Don't know if I have been missing something this whole time?

My friend just got a new Biltmore from Cabaret - they had a bunch of new stock come in last week. They charged him $155 should you care to have a peak!

Alon

One of the Regulars
Sixsexsix,

I visited Mr. Rotman this morning because of the fright you gave me. He's still alive and kicking and has no intention of closing his store - nor has he sold his stock.

Rotman charges $165 for every hat in the store (I inquired about a student discount to no avail), so I'll definitely check out Cabaret, but I wonder if they have the same older models that Rotman carries. High crown, thick ribbon, wide brim - you know, the works.

Rotman also carries an assortment of Biltmore beaver fur pork pies at, I believe, a lower price, if you're interested.

sixsexsix

Practically Family
Thanks for the info Alon! My bf was told it was closed by one of his co-workers who obviously had no idea what they were talking about!

BlackBrim

Familiar Face
tinmanzzz said:

Also, Henry the Hatter sales the under the name of Giorgio Cellini Rosellini

http://www.henrythehatterdetroit.co...ufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1
Hello,
I'm new here.This is my first post.I wish to say hi to everyone.I'm fairly new to wearing fedoras.

I am interested in getting a Biltmore.I'm trying to decide which one I want to order.
I looked at the Henry the Hatter website that has the Giorgio Cellini Amalfi Junior.Looks like a nice hat.
I also looked at a website that has a Biltmore hat called New Eleganza http://www.mikethehatter.com/ItemSearch.asp?StyleID=5&BrandID=5

The New Eleganza looks to be the same as the Giorgio Cellini Amalfi Junior.Does anyone know if there is any differences between these two hats?
If so what are the differences?

seed

Familiar Face
Don't know about the differences, however I can tell you that I got an Eleganza about a year ago and had it customized to the point that it looks little like the pictures you usually see of this model. I got it bashed into a C-crown and had the brim trimmed to 1 3/4", snapped up all around. Most members on this forum are into the really tall crowns and very large brims. Not me. The end result of my Biltmore is quite possibly the perfect size and shape for my thin, 6' frame...and the style is what I would consider modern. Suits me quite well. I have some other very nice hats (some extremely nice customs and one refurbished vintage), but I really like my Eleganza, which I don't baby and wear more often than any other hat I own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe