Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Too much polishing?

MagistrateChris

One of the Regulars
Friends,

Ever since I learned how (the hard way) ate West Point, I have spit polished all of my dress shoes, getting that great, deep, relflective luster on the cap toes and a good general polish on the body of the shoes. Just like Captain Miller taught me before I reported to CBT. Anyways, I get mixed reviews on this approach. Older men and women comment on the positive side, many saying that it is nice to see a young man who remembers to polish his shoes. Younger people often make negative comments (trying to look up skirts?, etc.).

I have always believed that when wearing a suit and dressing for business, a glossy shine on the shoes was appropriate attention to detail. Am I wrong?

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just because others don't know to polish their shoes doesn't mean that you shouldn't. Keep up the good work, and please share any polishing tips you may have.

Prof Branestawm

Familiar Face
MagistrateChris said:
I have always believed that when wearing a suit and dressing for business, a glossy shine on the shoes was appropriate attention to detail. Am I wrong?

Definately not.

You can tell a lot about someone's attention to detail by whether they care for their shoes.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If anything, the only negative comment I would give you is, "Don't worry about what other people think of you unless you're running for political office," and keep shining those shoes!

Rooster

Practically Family
Just got done polishing my work boots this morning after I knocked off the chicken manure... They look spectacular now!

Dagwood

Practically Family
MagistrateChris said:

I've seen jury panels complain about attorneys who wear bad shoes, but never about one whose shoes were too polished. In your/our line of work, a good shine is the way to go.

Good to see another attorney around here. Can never have too many. ;)

Teacher

Familiar Face
I actually don't like a mirror shine. It draws too much attention and, to me, looks flashy. Instead, I like more of a matte luster, obtained by using shoe creams. I've heard this referred to as a "gentleman's buff."

Dashing1

New in Town
"O' the eternal petty war
of all things crawling
'gainst all things that soar"

Don't lower you standards. A proper shine is always to be respected.

Milu

Familiar Face
Teacher said:
I actually don't like a mirror shine. It draws too much attention and, to me, looks flashy. Instead, I like more of a matte luster, obtained by using shoe creams. I've heard this referred to as a "gentleman's buff."

I like a mirror shine but I was taught that a matte lustre was sometimes more appropriate.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I'm not sure how a spit shine would look on civilian shoes. But I certainly do lament the passing of spit shines on military shoes. I cannot express the profound sense of disgust and revulsion I experienced the first time a saw a Marine in DRESS BLUES wearing patent leather shoes! Spit shining should be as much a requirement of basic military training as close order drill.
I'm not really one to talk, however, since my shoes often look like I've stuck them under a sander, rather a buffer.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Trouble is, if you teach (and insist on) spitshining, you lose time that could be spent on "Mickey Mouse boy scout stuff" and psychological reconditioning. Might be ok for citizen-soldiers, but not for professional warriors.

Riposte3

One of the Regulars
Fletch said:
Trouble is, if you teach (and insist on) spitshining, you lose time that could be spent on "Mickey Mouse boy scout stuff" and psychological reconditioning. Might be ok for citizen-soldiers, but not for professional warriors.

The thing about spitshines, like many parts of the uniform inspection, is that it was really one of those "teach them to pay attention to details" details. It also taught patience (which can save a soldiers life). You can't rush your way through a spitshine and do it right.

-Jake

MagistrateChris

One of the Regulars
It appears that here, as in many areas in life, the actual decision is as much a matter of individual preference as anything else. For me, I guess I'll keep up the polishing.

And, for those who asked, here's how I do it.

Materials needed:

1 old soft toothbrush
2 old cotton worn undershirts, the older the better
1 cup lukewarm water
1 can colored shoe polish
1 can neutral shoe polish

I prefer Kiwi shoe polish, but have heard from many leathernecks that Lincoln is better. To each his/her own.

First, you need to clean the shoe by wiping down with one shirt and a touch of water, just enough to get any accumulated dust and grime off the shoe.

Take the toothbrush and lightly dip the bristles in the colored shoe polish. Use the brush to get polish into the seam between the upper and the sole. Once you have coated all the way around, let the polish dry for a moment, then using a t-shirt rub the seam to remove excess polish and get a basic shine.

Next, take a t shirt and use it to apply a coat of colored polish to the entire shoe. This includes the tongue and the edges of the soles. Let it dry of a moment, then buff with the t-shirt. you should end up with a semi-gloss shine.

Now, set out the water and the colored polish. Wrap the t-shirt around your dominant hand so2-3 fingers are wrapped fairly tightly in a couple of layers of cloth. Dip the fingers into the water to make the cloth lightly damp. Then dip into the polish. Just a bit. Take this to the area of the shoe you want to spit shine and begin applying the polish in a circular motion. Apply light pressure as you go, as you are pushing the wax into the pores of the leather (this will get easier over time as you build up your base layers). As you begin to feel increased friction, apply a touch more water and polish to the rag. As you get the polish built up on the shoe, you will begin to notice that the surface begins to get smooth, and starts glossing. At that point, you apply less and less pressure, as you are now polishing the wax to a shine. Dip into the water from time to time to help get a smooth, even finish. This is where patience, practice, and experience really pay off. Soon, you will begin to get a very bright shine, especially on the toes and heels, where the shoe leather is harder.

Once you get it to a good polished shine, you reposition the t-shirt to a clean spot on your fingers. Dip again in the water, but this time use the neutral wax instead of the colored. Lightly apply the neutral polish over the colored, again in small circular strokes. What this does is create a "clear coat" over the colored wax, which gives the shine a deep luster.

I personally only do this to areas where the shoe does little beinding and flexing, like the heels and toes. The rest of the shoe gets a good colored polish shine only.

Some people prefer to use cotton balls instead of t-shirts. My cousin (Navy pilot) liked using women's nylons for the top finish, believing he got a better shine that way.

The key is trial and error, in that you need to try it, see what does and doesn't work for you. Good luck!

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Thanks

The shoeshiners offer different products but I have not seen this level of concentration on lustre and shine since my days in the cadets. Might get the polish out tomorrow and try your method.

MagistrateChris

One of the Regulars
cookie said:
The shoeshiners offer different products but I have not seen this level of concentration on lustre and shine since my days in the cadets. Might get the polish out tomorrow and try your method.

What method did you use in your uniform days? And, what cadet corps were you a member of?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe