Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Too much damage?

High Pockets

Practically Family
kabuto said:
I wet it thoroughly where it was bent and reshaped it. It dried and I brushed it. It seems good as new, and the only place where I can discern the aftereffects of the folding are in the leather sweat band, where a slight line is left.

These things are amazingly sturdy.

And it's a complete mystery how the "skid marks" disappeared. They just evaporated, I guess.

:) The patients recovery is indeed good news!

kabuto said:
Also, another point: As a gift I got a hat last year from a custom hat maker whose name I won't mention, but you'd recognize it. It was somewhat botched. The sweatband had been shriveled in a last minute resizing, the brim flanging was too extreme so it had an "aquiline" beak look to it, and there were some sort of subtle smudges on the crown that seemed like Doritos fingerprints from the creasing, based on their positioning (never snack and crease), which would not come out with hat cleaner spray.

But ironically, I wear the hat all the time. Because it is damaged goods, I feel completely free and unconcerned about damaging it, I wear it in all weather conditions, and it is so liberating that I enjoy it tremendously. To a non-hat fanatic, I'm sure the flaws are not noticeable anyway.

That's the kind of hat I've been in search of for the past few days,.....something I can wear out in the yard & garage this fall and not worry about too much.
:D You know; a hat similar to one of those that old Workaholic-Gene are always sweatin' in!

kabuto said:
...Because it is damaged goods, I feel completely free and unconcerned about damaging it, I wear it in all weather conditions, and it is so liberating that I enjoy it tremendously...
Do others fret about wearing hats of high value, either vintage or modern custom? I've had a couple of custom westerns that I've worn in pretty rough conditions & know they are durable & resilient. I take the same attitude with my snap brims. I don't baby them but I don't intentionally abuse them. Hat wearing wouldn't be fun if I was fretting about it much at all. [huh]

High Pockets

Practically Family
gtdean48 said:
Do others fret about wearing hats of high value, either vintage or modern custom? I've had a couple of custom westerns that I've worn in pretty rough conditions & know they are durable & resilient. I take the same attitude with my snap brims. I don't baby them but I don't intentionally abuse them. Hat wearing wouldn't be fun if I was fretting about it much at all. [huh]

I'm, as you all know, very new to this fedora "insanity" and have to admit; at this point I'm very,.....no, make that terrified at the thought of wearing one of my fedora's in the rain.

Having worn westerns for most of my life, I not only "never thought twice" about the weather but went to the closet and put my hat on if it was pouring outside and the trash had to go out!
So I'm sure at some point I'll get over this fear.

That's why I'm in the market for an old brown 7 3/8's "beater". *hint hint*

Inusuit

A-List Customer
High Pockets said:
I'm, as you all know, very new to this fedora "insanity" and have to admit; at this point I'm very,.....no, make that terrified at the thought of wearing one of my fedora's in the rain.

Having worn westerns for most of my life, I not only "never thought twice" about the weather but went to the closet and put my hat on if it was pouring outside and the trash had to go out!

I'm with gtd on this. I put on the hat I want to wear for the day regardless of the weather or what else I'm wearing. If we're having a typically breezy day in Wyoming, say 40-50 mph winds, I will go with a snug fitting hat so I don't have to chase it across the prairie. If I'm painting, or cleaning the chimney on the wood stove, or servicing the Kuboda, or working on the '87 Chevy half-ton 4x4, or doing other dirty work I will not wear my 7X clear beaver or my Art Fawcett. Otherwise, hats are for wearing, not for babying.

rrog

A-List Customer
The rusults...

Here are the results of my repair job. I'm still working out the bash in general, but I'm happy with how the folds/creases came out. It took about 15 minutes of a little steam and pressure with my fingers. The bash took about another 15-20 minutes of working on it, going to the bathroom mirror to check it out and going back... etc. Hre are the pics:

100_0919.jpg
[/IMG]
100_0920.jpg
[/IMG]

100_0921.jpg
[/IMG]
100_0922.jpg
[/IMG]

100_0924.jpg
[/IMG]
100_0925.jpg
[/IMG]

You can really see it in the second picture, but there's a little dimple/bump on my right side in the side dent near the top. I'm not sure how that turned out like that because that wasn't even on the side that was damaged.

rrog

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Looking good, just keep steaming anything dimply :)

I find on mine if I steam it, hold the shape with my fingers from the outside and inside of the hat and then just keep holding it until it's totally cooled it tends to stay that way a bit better. Good from troublesome spots.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
High Pockets said:

You do know Buchanan's on this weekend? Could be the perfect place to nab a new old hat.....

I am glad that you were able to get it back to good as new. The hat looks good on you.

By the way, if you're considering any adjustments, it seems that you'll usually see the front pinch side to be higher than the back of the hat by a little bit, I think that is the usual set up. The side view looks like the back is higher in the pix.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I had a friend leave a heavy coat on a hat before and it looked very crushed afterwards. All it took was some angry waving of the hat in my friend's face telling them to take more care and then reshaping the brim and crown with my fingers (in about ten seconds).

rrog

A-List Customer
John in Covina said:
By the way, if you're considering any adjustments, it seems that you'll usually see the front pinch side to be higher than the back of the hat by a little bit, I think that is the usual set up. The side view looks like the back is higher in the pix.

You're right John. I'm trying something a little different. For whatever the reason, when I wear a hat, it seems as though it just sits on my head a lot lower in the back than most other people's hats fit on their heads. It's probably just my perception or paranoia, but I thought I'd try to compensate for that by having the back a little higher than usual. Maybe when my wife gets home I can have her take some side shots to show you what I mean. And I may yet lower the back of the crown back down to the "normal" position.

rrog

memphislawyer

Practically Family
I am like High Pockets, relatively new. I have a fur felt, Saxon, and am babying it. In fact, only worn it around the house for about 30 minutes total since it is new and not below 80 yet. I have the Panama Bob and I take care of it but it is a more flimsy hat, by that, less substantial in weight and construction, but at this point, rain, no way. I have a Tilley that I wear for beach or working outside or yard cutting. Ill leave my felts for dress (Saxon) or casual wear and running errands (Stylemaster)

rrog

A-List Customer
Thanks gtd. You Georgia boys arent' all bad! And I WILL be rooting for you tomorrow, but don't tell anyone. shhhhhhhh

rrog

DC3

New in Town
Rrog. As soon as I saw you in the very nicely re-shaped hat (one of which I will order soon) the thought "where's his press pass sticking out of the ribbon" flashed through my little grey cells. Keep working it until your happy, and that's when you'll want to wear it everywhere.:)
Rev. David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld