Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tom Hardy's Fedora in Lawless

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Hi TJ

Glad you like it.

The brim is 2 5/8", narrower than the film hat, the gap between the pleats is approx 6/8"

Thanks buddy. It looks really nice. I estimated 3/4' on the pleats for an 1 5/8' wide ribbon at 5 inches long. It definitely looks good. They did a nice job on it. Would you guess the original brim width on the Hardy to be about 2 7/8 ? The original looks pretty wide. The 2 5/8 on yours looks pretty good though.

Last edited:

Tedquinton

A-List Customer
Thanks buddy. It looks really nice. I estimated 3/4' on the pleats for an 1 5/8' wide ribbon at 5 inches long. It definitely looks good. They did a nice job on it. Would you guess the original brim width on the Hardy to be about 2 7/8 ? The original looks pretty wide. The 2 5/8 on yours looks pretty good though.

Yes Mike thought 2 7/8 was the actual size. I prefer a slightly narrower brim usually between 2 3/8 - 2 5/8.

Best

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Yes Mike thought 2 7/8 was the actual size. I prefer a slightly narrower brim usually between 2 3/8 - 2 5/8.

Best
I thought the original looked to be 2 7/8 on the brim. I've been discussing with a fellow Lounger, John Galt, about having him do a Hardy hat conversion for me. We've both been studying a lot of pictures of the hat. I think we have the specs estimated pretty good. I found on the web where the costume designer for Lawless was interviewed. Tom Hardy's hat was custom made and then distressed for the movie. The designer didn't tell who made the hat nor what the hat's specs were. I think John G. is just the guy for my Hardy hat conversion. Hey John! What do you say? You up to it? ;)

Last edited:
...My hat arrived yesterday from Mike at Northwest Hats. First I need to state that Mike and I discussed the specs of the movie hat and I changed many of them so that the hat would suit me more. I also wanted the hat to like like the scenes when it was overexposed and probably lighter than in reality, but I liked that look. So any differences from the movie hat are entirely intentional...
Well done! I think you've defined the intent of the Movie Hats That Inspired You thread--seeing a hat that you liked in a movie, and making it your own. Now you need to post a photo or two of you wearing it! ;)

Playdablues

New in Town
First post here so trying to make it a good one. Well here's my 2 cents and take on the "Tom Hardy Lawless" fedora. It's also my first custom made hat. From Catalina Hatters in Texas. See what you think...
20140801_180157_zps79753105.jpg

20140801_180049_zpsb03c6496.jpg

20140801_180016_zps9bd8339e.jpg

20140801_175825_zps90217a13.jpg

Last edited:

majormoore

Vendor
Good looking hat, the owner and I are friends and they do outstanding work, maybe members here, that see your hat will understand not all western hatters make only western hats, but can make dress hats with the same skill and craftsmanship as they do in making a western hat.

Major Moore

Playdablues

New in Town
Here is a picture of the inside lining and band. This is what I got on the base 10x fur felt hat. This is a more accurate depiction of the true color...bone. Scott and Travis are real nice to deal with. Just be sure and give them 2 wks or so. They get hats sent to them from Stetson and Resistol for repairs/re-blocking/cleaning. So if you send your hat in to Stetson or Resistol this is where allot of them go.
20140801_193146_zpsf3e7b1b7.jpg

I have used Catalena Hatters for a few western hat renovations. Always good work at reasonable price, turned around in decent time.
Glad to know they do fedoras too.
Nice looking lid & welcome to the Lounge, Playdablues...

Tedquinton

A-List Customer
Really like that take on the hat. I sometimes wonder if I should have gone for a 'normal' bow. Perhaps one day I'll get another hat in a similar colour scheme with a traditional hat bow.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
One of the major things that made Tom Hardy's hat stand out was it's well worn appearence, that thing had been used & abused................Mearly sticking an orange ribbon onto a new, ordinary, narrow brimmed fedora doesn't make for a very interesting hat . Perfect creases & symetrical brim this hat just did not have & the back of the brim was really curled up, again giving it a unique look. You guys really have to work on that front dip & triangular top too, you need to be more bad ass if you want it to come together.

Last edited:

Playdablues

New in Town
One of the major things that made Tom Hardy's hat stand out was it's well worn appearence, that thing had been used & abused................Mearly sticking an orange ribbon onto a new, ordinary, narrow brimmed fedora doesn't make for a very interesting hat . Perfect creases & symetrical brim this hat just did not have & the back of the brim was really curled up, again giving it a unique look. You guys really have to work on that front dip & triangular top too, you need to be more bad ass if you want it to come together.

These our our own personal takes inspired by the original hat tailored to look best on each of us as individuals. I plan to let my hat wear out honestly and get the use out of it. After all, I did have it made to use it... Fake wear and tear is just that, fake.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Looks great, playdablues! Really nice balance of dimensions.
And I have to say I've been less careful with my lawless hat than I have with most of my other hats, and it's only getting better. You may have seen that I had Parker from falcon park hattery make mine, and went with kind of Sahara felt with an extra wide brim and wide rust ribbon. I didn't expect to wear it this often, but the colors have proven surprisingly versatile.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
These our our own personal takes inspired by the original hat tailored to look best on each of us as individuals. I plan to let my hat wear out honestly and get the use out of it. After all, I did have it made to use it... Fake wear and tear is just that, fake.
Yep, some of like to apply all the character ourselves, one wearing at a time...
:arated: to both of these posts. That hat might look good on Hardy, but that doesn't mean it will automatically look good on you, or me, or anyone else here, so it's best to get a hat that will suit the individual, one that will be worn and enjoyed. I love the look of a well-used "beater" hat myself, and I look forward to the day when my hats begin to take on that type of "character", but I'd much rather allow them to get there on their own through many years of pleasurable wearing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld