Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toilet back-fires, sinks U-Boat

MikeKardec

One Too Many
I think I heard that they still do use the tank system. To make matters worse on the Type VII subs the midships head (one two for around 30 men) was usually stuffed full of food at the onset of a voyage. To pull a great quote from "Das Boot": "... we have to eat before we can s**t."

Unlike the American boats which were much larger and designed mostly for operations in the Pacific, think a Lincoln Town Car, the medium to small Type VII was more like a Porsche 356, not necessarily faster but more maneuverable. They were brilliant boats but never designed for the roles they had to play during the war. They haphazardly upgraded with a whole host of Mad Max like features, snorkels, radar, anti radar, uber toilets.

It seems to me that design evolution gets supercharged in war but it was hard into jump to building the sort of super sub that the Germans could put on paper when they were getting the c**p bombed out of them every night. When they finally did it the actual subs weren't all that well built, they incorporated great ideas (stolen by every navy on earth after the war) but bad execution.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I want to see a picture of this alleged nazi 'Uber-toilet'.

GLAM201020das20boot20920600_zps4qvqiwxh.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
1.After entering, close door “A”

2.Open waste tap “B” and flush tap “C” with lever “D”, causing door “A” to be blocked.

3.Open cover “E”.

4.Move lever “F” to “use”.

5.Use lavatory “G”.

6.Open waste tap “H” and flushing tap “I”.

7.Move lever “F” to “flush” position (do this more carefully the deeper the submarine is submerged) until compartment “J” is barely filled.

8.Open shut-off valve “K”.

9.Move lever “F” carefully to position “eject”.
Compartment ”J” is filled through “K” and “L” with air from the 12 ATM system.

10.Move lever “F” carefully to the “air waste” position. In this position, the air flows out of compartment “J” through valve “M” to the foulwater tank and on to the battery compartment through pipe “O”.

11.Lever “F” stays in the “air waste” position when the lavatory is not in use.

12.Close and lock taps “H” and “I”.

13.Close lever “E”.

14.Close taps “B” and “C” with lever “D”.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
1.After entering, close door “A”

2.Open waste tap “B” and flush tap “C” with lever “D”, causing door “A” to be blocked.

3.Open cover “E”.

4.Move lever “F” to “use”.

5.Use lavatory “G”.

6.Open waste tap “H” and flushing tap “I”.

7.Move lever “F” to “flush” position (do this more carefully the deeper the submarine is submerged) until compartment “J” is barely filled.

8.Open shut-off valve “K”.

9.Move lever “F” carefully to position “eject”.
Compartment ”J” is filled through “K” and “L” with air from the 12 ATM system.

10.Move lever “F” carefully to the “air waste” position. In this position, the air flows out of compartment “J” through valve “M” to the foulwater tank and on to the battery compartment through pipe “O”.

11.Lever “F” stays in the “air waste” position when the lavatory is not in use.

12.Close and lock taps “H” and “I”.

13.Close lever “E”.

14.Close taps “B” and “C” with lever “D”.

So, better read all that before you actually need to use the toilet in a hurry...

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
If you're underwater, would rough seas necessarily be a problem?

"Und now gentlemen, to the commode. This newly invented toilet facility will allow for underwater use in the roughest seas, providing the greatest level of comfort ever known by submariner!"

MikeKardec

One Too Many
And add this to the picture: 30 men plus or minus. Two Heads. One possibly so packed with food that it can't be used or (scarier) partly packed with supplies yet beginning to be used because there's just enough room to squeeze in. Frightening conditions, the sort that make a visit to the toilet dramatic. Rough seas, though under water it is usually smooth sailing and submerging for a break from the weather was common. Watch changes when within a few minutes six to eight of the crew will need to use the head. Each man going through all those steps knowing that his crew mates are waiting VERY impatiently!

Easy to get rattled ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken