Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toggle coat question.............

31 Model A

A-List Customer
I've read the History of the toggle coats coming out of Britian after WWII but they were design a bit before then. Would someone know more about it's first introduction into the US and when? Sometimes referred to as the Duffle Coat also but I'm concerned to know of the toggle enclosure.

Thanks

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I'm guessing that toggles were designed for people in places where it was too cold to take your gloves off to use the fine motor skills required for buttons.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I remember they were popular in the 1950's with beatniks and other assorted counter-cultural types.

Big J is right about toggles - they are also easier to use when you've had a Continental jazz cigarette.

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
just sold an excellent, Made in England duffle coat, mine was the typical light tan colour and had pointed horn buttons/toggles. Sorry no pics

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
The toggle and loop closure itself was common in the US on fur coats and sheepskin lined coats around the turn of the century and stuck around in a modified loop and button form on sheeplined coats into the 1950s. As far as the hooded camel colored duffle coat, I can't think of any real popularity in the US until after WWII.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I remember that they became extremely popular in the late 50's, early 60's in the States and were usually in loden green. I recall seeing several at a Princeton football game and had to have one for myself.

armscye

One of the Regulars
These coats were Royal Navy issue, in four weird sizes ranging from roomy to gargantuan, to fit over other clothing. In the UK they are often called the Monty, after General Sir Bernard Law Montgomery, who wore one prominently (below). Another name is the Duffel coat, supposedly because the fabric comes from a town of that name.

There are lots of photos running around of film characters in them (including that great neglected classic "The Cruel Sea", below, as well as
"The Guns of Navarone").

David Niven.jpg sterlingchat9nb.jpg the_cruel_sea_2.jpg montgomery_duffel.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken