Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Today's silly fantasy

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Watching the TV series "Underbelly Razor" (an Australian production depicting the people and activities surrounding the Darlinghurst-Surry Hills razor gangs in the period 1927-1936) I had this little daydream that Akubra brought out a new line of hats inspired by the vintage hats of the time, similar to the 'Stylemaster' or 'Bogart' models but with wider ribbons and slightly taller crowns (4.5-5 inches bashed) and in newer colours - a sky grey, a blue colour like Akubra's lagoon blue perhaps, different browns and greens etc. Maybe even have a wider ribbon treatment around the brim.

Yeah, well it's nice to dream . . . [huh]

Oldsarge

One Too Many
I'll say. They're a great first serious hat but once you have a couple in your collection and are starting to get picky, Akubra slides down the priority list. But I guess that must make Art Fawcett and Optima happy . . . .

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Watching the TV series "Underbelly Razor" (an Australian production depicting the people and activities surrounding the Darlinghurst-Surry Hills razor gangs in the period 1927-1936) I had this little daydream that Akubra brought out a new line of hats inspired by the vintage hats of the time, similar to the 'Stylemaster' or 'Bogart' models but with wider ribbons and slightly taller crowns (4.5-5 inches bashed) and in newer colours - a sky grey, a blue colour like Akubra's lagoon blue perhaps, different browns and greens etc. Maybe even have a wider ribbon treatment around the brim.

Considering that they are a firm in your country, and there major amt. of sales is IN your country, you need to convince YOUR countryman to BUY different hats than they do :) Take a look at Akubra's top 10 sellers ( on their wbsite as of 10-11-2011) which reflects the taste of YOUR countryman :) Remember, firms like Akubra, HATCO etc. are nowhere near the production numbers of hats they produced in the past so market to what is the current demand in the GENERAL PUBLIC not in our small niche world. Life's a beach and where's the water.... :)

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Is this a thread to post our silly hat fantasies? If so, I found a 1950's Stetson 100, case and all, in a 7 1/2! No one else spotted it due to its having been listed in the Costumes section. Couldn't believe the BIN, either: $38.50. They must not have known what they had!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
If Akubra had taller crowns on their "city" hats, they would have a lot more U.S. customers.

You mean like this:

popup_image.php

or this:

index.html

Mocheman

One of the Regulars

I was actually looking at my 2 stylemasters and comparing them to a 1950's Stetson Playboy I have(doesn't fit my large noggin unfortunately). I was thinking how great it would be if Akubra made the crown slightly taller and took out the liner having maybe a small patch of fabric on the crown with the logo instead. It would be the perfect warm weather light felt very much like my Playboy. I think it would be fantastic.

Benny have you thought about sending your idea to Akubra or one of its sellers and see what they think of the idea? Marketing it as a warm weather light felt might be a good sell. The worst they could say is no.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Right click on them and 'open in a new window'. They show the Federation IV and the Federation Deluxe IV. And those are great looking hats. What I especially like about the Fed IV is that it comes in slate grey with a black 2" band. Ooooo-ga!

Sam Craig

One Too Many
A blue ... NOT NAVY ... Fed or Adventurer would be a great addition

I still can't believe I missed out on the green Squatter. I love me Squatters and a green or blue would be awesome.

Since the subject was raised by the preceding photos ... by the way ... what is the difference between a Fed and an Adventurer?
Different dimensions, materials, color?

The pics make it hard to tell.

Sam

Gromulus

Practically Family
Since the subject was raised by the preceding photos ... by the way ... what is the difference between a Fed and an Adventurer?
Different dimensions, materials, color?

The pics make it hard to tell.

Sam

Both are open crown with dimensional brims. The Adventurer has a 5 1/2" open crown height and 3 1/8" x 2 3/4" brim while the FED IV has a 5 5/8" crown height and a smaller 2 3/4" x 2 1/2" dimensional brim.

In my opinion the FED IV has better proportions. I have the dark brown (also known as "Loden" by Akubra) and really like it. Two more colors are on my short list.

I am not sure how the colors compare although they look similar in all the pictures I have seen. David Morgan refers to the Adventurer color as "mid-brown".

The Adventurer comes in Akubra's Imperial Quanity while the Fed IV is offered (only) by Hats Direct in "standard" (Imperial) or "deluxe" (Heritage) qualities.

Last edited:

Sam Craig

One Too Many
So, just to wrap up:

In the "standard" comparison ... non-deluxe ... The Adventurer has a 1/8 inch shorter crown and a brim that is a quarter inch wider and 3/8 of an inch longer.

Same Imperial felt and similar color.

Perhaps it's how they are shot, but the Fed seems to look a lot more like the Crystal Skull style hat than does the Adventurer ... or it could just be my perception.

Thanks for the measurements.

Sam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe