Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To Fix or Not to Fix???

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well, Dear Friends,
Somewhere in one of the dry cleaning threads, I bragged about how I have had this suit forever, have worn it once a week, and have dry cleaned it about every other month or so; all true.

I should have known I was cursing myself.

So, the other day, while feeding Cheryl's cats, "Rip!" across the seat of the pants, not along the seam, mind you.

So, alas, I have had this suit since 1989. I've worn it countless times. I have gotten my use out of it. Is it time to retire it? Perhaps I could salvage the waistcoat and the jacket?

Or should I send it to John, my tailor, to Franken-stitch along the seat?

What say you, my fellow Lounger?

Here's a photo for reference.

Marty M.

Vendor
Goodbye old friend?

Hem, I think that the reason it ripped in that fashion is the fabric is worn too thin there. It happens. You're best bet is to throw a party in its honor and send all three pieces on their way :( .
Marty Mathis

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I concur with the honourable Mr Mathis. Even if the material were not heavily worn, 'Frankenstitch' is just not pretty in anyone's book. Sorry my friend. Time to say a fond 'Adios' to those trousers.

'Twas a very fine-looking suit, and it did you proud all those years. :eusa_clap

The decision, of course, is entirely yours. I've successfully repaired just this kind of damage - though mine was through catching on a door-jam, but a non-seam rip. (This was, however, on a pair of 1940s trousers so maybe a little less replaceable.)

If you think it's worth it, it isn't a major job to fix this damage (or at least it seems not, from the description). Good skills with a darning needle can work wonders!

bk

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Innovative Repairs?

So the rip is across? Horizontal right? Maybe you could use the vest material to make a "riding-style" seat overlay? Maybe make the pants as knickers and use the cut-off material at the bottom of the leg for a seat reinforcement??
I'm just spitting out ideas here. [huh]

Snookie

Practically Family
If you love the fit, take the pants to a tailor and have them copied.

The fabric looks like a repair will be highly noticable. I wouldn't bother.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I'm assuming the fix could be seen while wearing the coat? Then I wouldn't bother fixing. However, if the coat covers it up.... then by all means!

I would also see if you could use the vest some how to revamp the trousers.

Otherwise, sadly... it'll be like the old man and his broken leg lamp..........
I feel your pain Hem!
Nikki

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thank you Snookie, Matt and everyone. You've given me a lot to think about.

I am amazed at how attached I am to this article of clothing. It's tough to let it go. I recently found my first Massachusetts driver's license from the early 90s and there I am in that suit.

Alas, the waistcoat and jacket will live on! ;-)

Flitcraft

One Too Many
At least save the jacket and vest- I wear my orphaned vests with other garments all the time. If nothing else, it can really dress up a casual look...

Marty M.

Vendor
Flitcraft said:
At least save the jacket and vest- I wear my orphaned vests with other garments all the time. If nothing else, it can really dress up a casual look...

Great point about the vest :eusa_clap .
Marty Mathis

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I have been wearing the vest with other tweed, or by itself with nice pants, shirt and tie.

Still, I mourn the passing of that suit. This is the time of year I break out all of my tweed.

Oh well, plenty more where it came from, I suppose.

Justdog

Practically Family
Repair

Hemingway Jones said:
Well, Dear Friends,
Somewhere in one of the dry cleaning threads, I bragged about how I have had this suit forever, have worn it once a week, and have dry cleaned it about every other month or so; all true.

I should have known I was cursing myself.

So, the other day, while feeding Cheryl's cats, "Rip!" across the seat of the pants, not along the seam, mind you.

So, alas, I have had this suit since 1989. I've worn it countless times. I have gotten my use out of it. Is it time to retire it? Perhaps I could salvage the waistcoat and the jacket?

Or should I send it to John, my tailor, to Franken-stitch along the seat?

What say you, my fellow Lounger?

Here's a photo for reference.

Nice cut suit and generous pants great color comfy and you like it.
Get er fixed and enjoy it somemore. alternatively try to replicate the pants.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe