Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tips on finding wider brimmed fedoras on Ebay?

TommySalieri

A-List Customer
Hey, fellas.

I've been hittin' EBay hard for the last couple of weeks in an effort to build up the new wardrobe. I've spotted numerous fedoras from Stetson and Dobbs but I am unable to find wider brimmed hats - like the Biltmore I am wearing in my picture. Personally, I favor those over the "stingy" brimmed variety.

Anyway, how can I come across more wider brimmed hats on EBay? What brand should I search for?

Thanks. ;)

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Wider Brim 1940's Style Hats

Tommy,

Try: Stetson Whippet, Playboy, Stratoliner &/or Open Road.

IMO: Throw some money $$$ at a Stetson Open Road that
fits you, then rebash it into a suto Stratoliner which will
probably cost less than a Stratoliner in the long run!

SC ;)

Depends on yer head size.

There are at least 5 wide brimmed hats ending every day on eBay in size 7 or 6 7/8 (to be stretched to 7). So, whenever i need one, i can just drop by ebay.

What do you consider "wide" brimmed? Do you mean anything that's not stingy? Wide, to me, would mean 3" or above ... 2-2 1/2 i'd think was standard brim.

bk

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
It's all about size and search terms...

There are more smaller and fewer larger wide-brimmed hats. But your chances of snaring one are greatly increased by throwing a very wide net. I watch many auctions outside my size to learn both common and uncommon search keys. I use almost 200 search terms in birddogging fedoras. Many of my best finds came from searching lesser-used key words.
Here's an example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8414456735&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

This hat was a steal, easily worth three to four times what was paid. It's not my size, but I almost bought it to resell. Based on the poorly-chosen item headline, I knew many hatmen would not find it. The chances of a bidding war were slim and I felt it would go for close to the minimum, which it did, with a single bid (to one of our members, BTW).

TommySalieri

A-List Customer
Sorry! I should have been more specific. :eusa_doh:

Well, my head size is an average 7 1/8, so I'm one of the lucky ones.
Your description, Baron, looks right on target. Something along the lines of 2-2 1/2 looks about right.

Solid,
I performed a search on Stetson and I found two excellent hats. Unfortunately, I think I may be stocking up on too many of one kind. Let's hope I'll come across one of a different color other than grey. lol Thanks for the advice. :)

Snrb,
Thanks for letting me in on your secret. I think that I will be having the most success using your methods. I'll give it a shot and post the results later.

Once again, thank you, gentleman. :)

RBH

Bartender
Solid Citizen said:
Tommy,

Try: Stetson Whippet, Playboy, Stratoliner &/or Open Road.

IMO: Throw some money $$$ at a Stetson Open Road that
fits you, then rebash it into a suto Stratoliner which will
probably cost less than a Stratoliner in the long run!

SC ;)

Have you noticed what the O R's and Stratoliner's are going for lately?
Art has two of my O R's and is shaping one into the Stratoliner style. I really look forward to seeing his work.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Stratoliner Prices

RBH,

Saw a gray Stetson Stratoliner go for $158.00 on Ebay the other day!

The Stetson value :)eek: ) book lists Strats around $150.00 & I paid
$20.00 for one from a vintage dealer almost 2 years ago.

I would have no, problem buying an Open Road for suto Strat conversion.
Bottom line its the "look" your looking for!

SC ;)

Uncle Vern

One of the Regulars
Years ago, Resistol used to make very nice dress-weight western hats. I have a 50's Resistol "Fort Worth," model, in silverbelly. with a 3-inch brim, nice thin brim and fairly soft crown--great little hat. With a bit of re-blocking, these hats could become instant fedoras. I see them on eBay for $20.00 to $30.00. There are a lot of great old dress-weight Resistols floating around on eBay. I have another with a 3.4-inch brim and a 5-inch crown that's superb. I'll try to post photos of it tonight.

jml90

One of the Regulars
Solid Citizen said:
RBH,

Saw a gray Stetson Stratoliner go for $158.00 on Ebay the other day!

The Stetson value :)eek: ) book lists Strats around $150.00 & I paid
$20.00 for one from a vintage dealer almost 2 years ago.

I would have no, problem buying an Open Road for suto Strat conversion.
Bottom line its the "look" your looking for!

SC ;)
I saw onetoday with 4 days left going for $165 they aren't even sure what the size is

Citizen Ed

Familiar Face
jml90 said:
I saw onetoday with 4 days left going for $165 they aren't even sure what the size is

I had thought of putting a bid down on it when the price was still around 50 bucks. Next day I find it's up to $165. Tad pricey for me.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Desparate Dudes OR Stratospheric Feeding Frenzy

Just checked out the "Current Bid" (lol ) on that gray Strat @ $165.00. Way too high for just one vintage hat for me at least!

Bet the 7 1/2 size is whats drawing them in, as larger size Strats are
much harder to find.

SC

PS Bottom Line: Nice hat :)o ) BUt Too much :)( )

jml90

One of the Regulars
Solid Citizen said:
Just checked out the "Current Bid" (lol ) on that gray Strat @ $165.00. Way too high for just one vintage hat for me at least!

Bet the 7 1/2 size is whats drawing them in, as larger size Strats are
much harder to find.

SC

PS Bottom Line: Nice hat :)o ) BUt Too much :)( )

Still not large enough for me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe