Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Time for a new hat!

yardpup01

New in Town
We're fast approaching the one year mark from my first hat purchase. While I dearly love my Moonstone Fed IV, I find myself in need of a brown hat. I'm interested in something close to the Fed in terms of brim size, maybe a slight bit more taper in the crown. The wider the ribbon the better. And a bound edge would be sweet. I've been eying the modern Whippet in Tawny.

Thoughts? Any suggestions for hats I may not have thought of?

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
yardpup01 said:
We're fast approaching the one year mark from my first hat purchase. While I dearly love my Moonstone Fed IV, I find myself in need of a brown hat. I'm interested in something close to the Fed in terms of brim size, maybe a slight bit more taper in the crown. The wider the ribbon the better. And a bound edge would be sweet. I've been eying the modern Whippet in Tawny.

Good God, man! You went a year with only one hat! It's been two months and I've four (I did just start wearing hats this summer, though).

The Good

Call Me a Cab
yardpup01 said:

Your situation seems awfully similar to mine, a parallel actually. I on the other hand, have had as my first fur felt a Dark Brown Akubra Federation IV (not Moonstone like you), and it is at this point that I desire to obtain a Moonstone or light grey hat as opposed to the brown or tan you're after. This may or may not be your cup of tea, but I'm currently considering an Akubra Stylemaster. Like you, I want my next fedora to be slightly tapered, but not too much. Also, while I'm going for the Moonstone, you may be interested in the "Acorn Fawn" color of the Stylemaster. As a plus, this hat boasts a bound brim, as you seem to be interested in too.

yardpup01

New in Town
Neophyte said:
Good God, man! You went a year with only one hat! It's been two months and I've four (I did just start wearing hats this summer, though).

You see, I had built a computer that summer and was still paying it off, so only one hat could be afforded at the time. But the Fed was so perfect it was the only hat I needed. Technically, I did buy another hat. An Akubra Capricorn at the end of the spring. I'm a man who loves his hobbies, but doesn't dive straight into the deep end head first.

J B said:
This may or may not be your cup of tea, but I'm currently considering an Akubra Stylemaster. Like you, I want my next fedora to be slightly tapered, but not too much. Also, while I'm going for the Moonstone, you may be interested in the "Acorn Fawn" color of the Stylemaster. As a plus, this hat boasts a bound brim, as you seem to be interested in too.

For the longest time I thought I had settled on a Stylemaster, but the more I looked at it the less I liked it. I think the ribbon is a little thin for what I'm looking for. I've also figured I should try something other than an Akubra. I've been keeping an eye on ebay, but the pickings are slim for a 7 1/2. Most hats are stingies, and I'm just not ready to go there yet.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
An Art Fawcett Sir. Two factory hats or a custom. You`ll soon be at two...why not try a custom...you`ll never regret it

The Lark

One of the Regulars
Find a hat from a film or something that you've always wanted, and then get Art to make it for you. Alternately, browse through the Art Fawcett hall of fame and see if there's any creations you like.

His price might seem a little steep when you compare it to a standard akubra, but you can pay in installments (the initial deposit is followed by an 8 week lead time or thereabouts while he does other orders). That gave me plenty of time to earn the extra dough.

yardpup01

New in Town
daizawaguy said:
An Art Fawcett Sir. Two factory hats or a custom. You`ll soon be at two...why not try a custom...you`ll never regret it

While I would LOVE a Work of Art, that's something special I'm reserving for when I graduate. A gift to me. Then again, you make a convincing argument... Oh! The dilemma! Anyone know what the wait is right now?

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
I`d count on two months...have`nt asked recently, but summer should be slower tham the autumn and forget it at Christmas...

It`s something you`ll never regret, and worth double or more in pleasure...

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Not long ago, Art told me 7 weeks.

There are other custom hat makers, too. Major Moore has a rabbit fur custom for around $200 if memory serves correctly. And Art has rabbit felts at $225-ish. Maybe as cheaper alternatives until 'the big one' so to speak; a beaver from Art? You still get the styling and fit with just a bit lower of a finish and felt material.

yardpup01

New in Town
The big obstacle with a custom is that I actually have to know what I want... That and justify it to myself. I realize it's only the cost of two manufactured hats and probably worth three, but being a poor college student with loans coming out the wazoo I'm reluctant to spend it in one place.

yardpup01

New in Town
In the end, I decided to keep the VS as a graduation gift to myself in two years. Just put in an order at Bencraft for a Stetson Whippet in tawny. I'll be eagerly awaiting its arrival. Thanks for the thought provoking responses gentlemen!

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
yardpup01 said:
In the end, I decided to keep the VS as a graduation gift to myself in two years. Just put in an order at Bencraft for a Stetson Whippet in tawny. I'll be eagerly awaiting its arrival. Thanks for the thought provoking responses gentlemen!

Cool! The new Stetson Whippet looks like a nice hat for the money. Be sure to post pics when you get it!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe