Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tibetan/nomad fedoras

davidraphael

Practically Family
I recently returned from a trip to a remote area of eastern Tibet.

The nomads there wear (very) long-sleeved wrap-around robes. Oddly, they also wear fedoras (both men and women).

Naturally, I bought both hats and robes... :)

I wonder how fedoras came to be standard headwear of Tibetan nomads? Anyone have any idea?

dR
img1907k.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

img1908k.jpg

4qsm.jpg

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
davidraphael said:
I recently returned from a trip to a remote area of eastern Tibet.

The nomads there wear (very) long-sleeved wrap-around robes. Oddly, they also wear fedoras (both men and women).

Naturally, I bought both hats and robes... :)

I wonder how fedoras came to be standard headwear of Tibetan nomads? Anyone have any idea?

dR
img1907k.jpg

img1908k.jpg

4qsm.jpg

David, you bought those hats in Tibet??? That's fascinating. Did they make them there, or did they import those hats from Europe/America?

davidraphael

Practically Family
Yes, I bought these fedoras in Eastern Tibet. And yes, they are made in Tibet/China. The pale tan fedora, for example, has both Tibetan and Chinese text printed inside and a Tibetan logo.

Nomads can't afford imported goods. They can't even afford goods made in the larger Chinese cities.

They cost me about $10US each, which is actually quite expensive there. They also raised the price a bit because I was a westerner. The locals would probably have gotten them a little cheaper.

davidraphael

Practically Family
I found a reference online that mentions the wearing of fedoras in Tibet in 1942.

There was a thriving tailor culture in that region of the world (as there still is in China, especially in cities like Shanghai and Hong Kong).
The fedora might have been a trade item that just kind of stuck. Shanghai itself is almost a museum and in many ways is stuck in the past - many of the art deco buildings (and interiors) built by Europeans in the early decades of the 20th century are still standing.

Maybe I'll post some of my architectural and deco photos taken in Shanghai very soon.

davidraphael

Practically Family
I think they're wool. One label says 100% wool, but when you're in China you learn not to trust what you're told or what the product claims to be.

No one can work out what is original and fake anymore. It's all mixed up together. Only obvious errors give the game away. For example, I bought Forrest Gump on DVD when I was in Beijing a few years ago. The blurb on the back claims that it is "Cary Grant's best film!". Another quote is proudly emblazoned on the front: "A bland, flawed movie! - Rolling Stone Magazine"

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Fask-i-natin'!

Thanks for posting the pictures. Interesting juxtaposition of the fedoras with the robes. Made me think of all the threads about "what should I wear with a fedora . . ." :)

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
It reminds me of the look you see up in the Andes. Strange that clothing and hat choice would be so similar up in the world's two highest mountain ranges.

carldelo

One Too Many
Very cool

I guess it just makes good sense to wear a hat at high altitude, with the low temperature and high UV exposure.

It'd be very interesting to see pictures of the lining/label/sweatbands too.

Old Paul

New in Town
Gents - a little :eek:fftopic: , but fedoras are also popular in Peru and Chile. So perhaps they just make practical hats for high altitude, cold and uv?

I bought a Peruvian (I think) import for about £30 a couple of years ago, before I found the Lounge - reasonable wool felt, but a horrible plasticky sweatband.

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
For such an inexpensive (cheap) item, this hat looks well made. Wonder if stores in Chinatown could import these things. Aside from the crappy looking sweatband, for a few bucks sounds like a safe buy.

davidraphael

Practically Family
cybergentleman said:
For such an inexpensive (cheap) item, this hat looks well made. Wonder if stores in Chinatown could import these things. Aside from the crappy looking sweatband, for a few bucks sounds like a safe buy.

Not sure about that, but you could ask around. However, I only saw these hats when I was nearer to Tibet - I didn't see any at all during my stay in Shanghai or Beijing.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Fascinating, Davidraphael! I'm glad you shared these pictures. I hope to get to Tibet some day, and now I'll know to look for new fedoras there.

davidraphael said:
I think they're wool. One label says 100% wool, but when you're in China you learn not to trust what you're told or what the product claims to be.

No one can work out what is original and fake anymore. It's all mixed up together. Only obvious errors give the game away. For example, I bought Forrest Gump on DVD when I was in Beijing a few years ago. The blurb on the back claims that it is "Cary Grant's best film!". Another quote is proudly emblazoned on the front: "A bland, flawed movie! - Rolling Stone Magazine"

That's Awsome! was the quality of the dvd ok?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust