Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thrift stores & A-2, a recent story

esteban

New in Town
Hi there,

I usually post on another forum, Arstechnica, which is more technology based than this one, out of curiosity, I have searched for "A-2 jacket" on the Search page, and found this:

Thrift Store Find of the Century! (pics, WWII A-2 Jacket content)
http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve...34/m/942008780831?r=942008780831#942008780831

I guess the moral of the history is to keep looking at thrift stores (and this happened on September last year!)... Any one had such a luck?

greyhound68

A-List Customer
No luck for me darn it. But I do know a couple of guys that got A2s at thrift stores. I always check them out when I have a chance. Would be a grand day if that happened to me.

esteban

New in Town
The only thrift stores I visited (in the US) were on Manhattan... Not a place where you might accidentally bump onto a WWII A-2 jacket just "lying around", I guess... At least, not for the past 30 years or so... Perhaps during the 1950's.

Weston

A-List Customer
Judging by what he said about it, dollars to doughnuts it's a repro but still a great deal for $25. Seriously doubt it's even from the 50's, much less 40s.

esteban

New in Town
Don't know what the poster got, but I'm pretty sure posted that pic as a reference to show the style of leather jacket.

As Weston said, even if it is a repro, it is a good find :)
And if it is an original...

SPAD

New in Town
I love the answer to the label, "US Air force or something" think it's some one having some fun. Wishing he had the real thing or maybe got it via the Midnite Garmet Supply Co. SPAD[huh] :)

SamReu

One of the Regulars
Spokes Man

The best A-2 luck I've ever had at a thrift was a really nice Cooper, which I gave to a buddy. Looking at the picture, I have to concur with the rest of you guys -- it looks almost too good to be a jacket that is 60-plus years old. Still, for $25 it's a bargain, no matter if the jacket is six decades or six years old.

I did score a Star Sportswear G-1 for $12 two years ago, which tickled me no end, and I have a thrift-store WWII peacoat that set me back $15. But those are different stories for a different thread.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
That photo is definitely NOT the jacket he bought, I was looking at G&B/Flightsuits earlier(before reading this post) and it's almost a dead ringer for their product shots...more than likely it's a recent repro. Without actual photos, who knows. Might even be a Cooper or US Wings.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Most thift stores are now aware of historic jackets and either sell them on or auction them on Ebay. But there could still be bargains out there!

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Perhaps this is true in Britian but here in the US thrift stores and flea markets are ripe with quality vintage stuff including old leather civilian and military jackets. I cannot count the times I have scored jackets worth big$$$ for a pittance. Just takes vigilance and good timing.

redavis001

One of the Regulars
Best winter jacket I own is a WWII British Great Coat. It still has the label that says that it was made in the I.R.A.O.C. factory in 1945 on the 1940 pattern. The thing is something like ten pounds of thick green wool blanket. I got it at a surplus store in Houston (not known for extreme cold) for twenty dollars. I have no idea if it is worth anything to collectors, but it's thick, warm and a good looking coat. On Wednesday a Russian student told me I looked like a Soviet. I decided to take that as a complement.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
MudInYerEye said:
Perhaps this is true in Britian but here in the US thrift stores and flea markets are ripe with quality vintage stuff including old leather civilian and military jackets. I cannot count the times I have scored jackets worth big$$$ for a pittance. Just takes vigilance and good timing.

Perhaps I trip to the States is in order!

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I go to the Goodwills a lot and have found a Cooper A2 in like new condition. I have found several vintage "50s" lettermans jackets and 2 vintage Willis and Geiger safari jackets. You can go for months and not find a thing and then hit a run of finds. They put out racks and racks of clothes everyday, so the key is just going a lot. People say they stop in once a week and don't find anything, but frequency of visits and dumb luck is the key to finding stuff.

My list of finds is endless but some of the better ones are my 3 Filson Mackinaw Crusier wool jackets. A vintage Borsalino fedora, a $1200 Zegna wool, silk blend sports jacket, 4 Hickey Freeman sports jackets and about a dozen Exofficio shirts and 6 Exoffico pants. A wool London fog double breasted top coat and also a london fog rain coat. They are not vintage but very high quality stuff.

fedoralover

Viviene

Vendor
My husband was given an actual (not reproduction) A-2 jacket. The bands on the sleeves and waistband are in sad shape. I would love to get this repaired professionally but have not found a reputable place to do so. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe