Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on the Schott 662?

MuyJingo

One of the Regulars
Hi all,

Hoping this doesn't count as duplication, as I am after some specific thoughts on this particular jacket.

What are peoples thoughts on the Schott 662?

375_296.jpg
375_660.jpg
6661-5.jpg

The things I like about it:

The length, it's 28". I like something that goes below my waist.

The cut on the front. I feel like the yoke (hope I'm using that correctly) and the vertical stitching set it apart from other jackets I see.

I like the collar.

What are peoples thoughts on this jacket?

Peacoat

Bartender
I don't like the multiple panels in the front. Most quality jackets by the high end manufacturers will have a single panel on each side, and a single panel in the rear. Some will use a yoke in the rear. This looks like Schott's entry into the fashion market. Nothing wrong with it, if that is what you want. Just that most of us on this forum look at things a bit differently. PC.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I don't much care for the vertical lines in front or the shape of the yoke. My personal preference would be a simpler design with fewer pieces used in construction. However, it's all about personal preference, and if that is what you like, I would say go for it. Keep in mind that your own preference about most clothing items will change with time.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Looks like Peacoat beat me to the punch but expressed himself better than I did. Brillaint minds think alike. :D :pound:

MuyJingo

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the replies guys.

So the thing is...I don't know much about any of this stuff.

I know I like a leather jackets...I wore my last one for 8 years.

I know I want to get a good quality design that I'm happy to wear for the next 10 years.

I probably won't want several, so i want to make this one something I am happy with.

I liked the vertical lines down the front as I felt like it set it apart from other jackets, but wasn't aware that panels indicated less quality...

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the replies guys.

I liked the vertical lines down the front as I felt like it set it apart from other jackets, but wasn't aware that panels indicated less quality...

The vertical lines down the front do not indicate less quality but preference. I think that many of us have come to prefer a simpler, less cluttered look. However, there are others that would be in agreement with the multiple sections.

Before proceding with anything, I would recommend that you take a close look at the medium weight Johnson Leather Company jackets. If you buy any heavy weight jacket as your first, you might find that you pull it out of the closet less often than had you bought something more flexible and lighter weight.

MuyJingo

One of the Regulars
The vertical lines down the front do not indicate less quality but preference. I think that many of us have come to prefer a simpler, less cluttered look. However, there are others that would be in agreement with the multiple sections.

Before proceding with anything, I would recommend that you take a close look at the medium weight Johnson Leather Company jackets. If you buy any heavy weight jacket as your first, you might find that you pull it out of the closet less often than had you bought something more flexible and lighter weight.

The last jacket I had was lightweight, and I definitely want something fairly lightweight again.

I want to be able to wear it over just a tshirt when it's warmer such as in autumn or over a sweatshirt/hoody or even another coat when it's warmer.

Are all of the Aero jackets quite heavy?

Does the weight of the leather have a lot to do with how warm it keeps you?

The weight of a jacket is just that- weight. The lining is what keeps you warm or extremely warm depending on what you pick. It sounds like you might prefer what is referred to as medium weight leather, or you might get some samples of goat as well...

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I don't know man, 2 posts by the same guy about the same jacket. If you like the thing... BUY the thing. Simple as that. I don't understand asking for opinions on a jacket in the afternoon and asking again in the evening. I just don't get it.

Worf

We we were all new once. Hell, I think most of us have repeated the same crap year after year in search of validation and perfection. It don't come easy as Ringo once said.

I don't know man, 2 posts by the same guy about the same jacket. If you like the thing... BUY the thing. Simple as that. I don't understand asking for opinions on a jacket in the afternoon and asking again in the evening. I just don't get it.

Worf

MuyJingo

One of the Regulars

Worf

I didn't think it was hard to understand, but let me clarify.

The first thread was asking for some suggestions on styles, and I gave several examples of what I like.

This jacket was the most prominent example however.

The discussion became more about Schott vs Aero and some other stuff, nothing specific to this jacket.

So while I was still considering this jacket, I wanted opinions on this jacket specifically.

Not sure I see the problem...it's not a duplicated question.

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
Well, I'ld say, try it on! If this looks good on you, and it is by no means a bad jacket, go for it! End of the day, you wear it (and you foot the bill).

Edit: Actually, I like it! Nice jacket. :)

Last edited:

pipvh

Practically Family
Personally I think it's a bit average, since you want opinions. But it might be great in real life. I found an LVC jacket I'd been coveting just the other day which looked amazing in pictures, but in the flesh it was disappointing. Try it on. If you live in NYC you should be able to find one without too much difficulty...

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Be aware that schott jackets are cut a bit weird IMO.
The have short sleeves and huge belly area compared to chest and shoulders.
If you are tall and V shaped it might not work for you.

I own one schott jacket and had to have it tailored to get a good fit.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I didn't think it was hard to understand, but let me clarify.

The first thread was asking for some suggestions on styles, and I gave several examples of what I like.

This jacket was the most prominent example however.

The discussion became more about Schott vs Aero and some other stuff, nothing specific to this jacket.

So while I was still considering this jacket, I wanted opinions on this jacket specifically.

Not sure I see the problem...it's not a duplicated question.

Sorry I must be getting persnickety in my old age. Disregard my post. Good luck in your search.

Worf

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up

Gtdean is right. It actually feels like a collision of two classic styles: a Hercules (strip away the front yoke and curve those vertical lines around) and a Pioneer (strip away the verticle lines, keep the yoke). To me, it's one or the other but not both.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe